I've recently repackaged an old application to run on an upgraded
server, and after installing it I noticed that when using the release
init script's "attach" command (in other words, "to_erl"), line editing
doesn't work, while it works fine when running the release's "erl" command.
The strange thing is that on a test VirtualBox VM, with the same
operating system version, and installing the app using the same
pre-compiled package, I can't reproduce the problem.
I've found some reports of similar issues that were related to SSH and
terminal handling, but the problem happens in the server also when
connecting locally via a console, while on the VM it works both ways.