MC68000 port

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
Hi

Talking about ports, has anyone tried to move Erlang to MC68000?

My hidden thought is about having Erlang on my Palm thingy :-) Just think
how cool it would be to have two Pilots talking over the IR!

Of course, that would need a lot more work than just compiling the stuff,
but it would be interesting to know how difficult it might be to just
compile.

regards,
Vlad

MC68000 port

Samuel Elliott
On  2/03, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

| My hidden thought is about having Erlang on my Palm thingy :-) Just think
| how cool it would be to have two Pilots talking over the IR!

I would love to have the BEAM specification (with all the opcodes, ...).
I would then volunteer to make a beam interpreter on the Palm (using Forth
probably to get a very small overhead compared to C).

MC68000 port

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
> | My hidden thought is about having Erlang on my Palm thingy :-) Just think
> | how cool it would be to have two Pilots talking over the IR!
>
> I would love to have the BEAM specification (with all the opcodes, ...).
> I would then volunteer to make a beam interpreter on the Palm (using Forth
> probably to get a very small overhead compared to C).

That's an interesting way of solving the interpreter, but in order to make it really work one has to provide some kind of replacement for things that aren't present in PalmOS, like for example a file system. The code module needs it, if not anything else.

/Vlad

MC68000 port

David Gould-2
On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:20:32PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> > | My hidden thought is about having Erlang on my Palm thingy :-) Just think
> > | how cool it would be to have two Pilots talking over the IR!
> >
> > I would love to have the BEAM specification (with all the opcodes, ...).
> > I would then volunteer to make a beam interpreter on the Palm (using Forth
> > probably to get a very small overhead compared to C).
>
> That's an interesting way of solving the interpreter, but in order to make it really work one has to provide some kind of replacement for things that aren't present in PalmOS, like for example a file system. The code module needs it, if not anything else.

I think it might be a lot more interesting to port it to Strongarm, then
it could run under Linux on the iPaq and similar hardware.

Another interesting idea is to use SAE to make something like busybox.
Busybox is a single program that can be invoked by different names (links)
and provides most of the traditional unix toolkit (ls, grep, tar etc), but
is much smaller than the aggregate size of the tools it replaces.

This, along with a normal Erlang node to handle networked services would
give most of the functionality (except for X) of a unix system, but in
Erlang, not C. So it might be missing some features, like stack smashes
and rootshells, but I am willing to put up with some deficienies ;-)

-dg

--
David Gould                davidg               510 536 1443

MC68000 port

Samuel Elliott
On  2/03, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

| That's an interesting way of solving the interpreter, but in order to make
| it really work one has to provide some kind of replacement for things that
| aren't present in PalmOS, like for example a file system. The code module
| needs it, if not anything else.

A database on the Palm can be used, this is not a technical difficulty.
See what ZBox does for example, a similar method can easily be used. And
I'm quite confident to encounter no major difficulty in rewriting the
built-in modules.

MC68000 port

Mickael Remond-2
David Gould (davidg) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:20:32PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> I think it might be a lot more interesting to port it to Strongarm, then
> it could run under Linux on the iPaq and similar hardware.

We will soon start working on such a port. We are working with Linux on an
iPaq computer.
If people are interested, they can contact us to share our experience
and to work together on the Erlang port.

I expect the port to be straightforward from what I understand of the
Linux iPaq port.

--
Micka?l R?mond

MC68000 port

Samuel Elliott
On  5/03, Mickael Remond wrote:

| If people are interested, they can contact us to share our experience
| and to work together on the Erlang port.

A student of mine will start his Master thesis on porting Erlang on a
68300-based eCos-powered embedded system. I think we will get a lot
of resources and documents on porting "beam" on embedded systems soon :)

MC68000 port

David Gould-2
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 10:57:44AM +0100, Mickael Remond wrote:
> David Gould (davidg) wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:20:32PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> > I think it might be a lot more interesting to port it to Strongarm, then
> > it could run under Linux on the iPaq and similar hardware.
>
> We will soon start working on such a port. We are working with Linux on an
> iPaq computer.
> If people are interested, they can contact us to share our experience
> and to work together on the Erlang port.

Yes, I am quite interested. I have not bought a iPaq yet, because I cannot
get a blank one without WinCE in the roms, and I refuse to be counted as a
WinCE sale. But, maybe there is some other Linux friendly strongarm pda,
or perhaps, maybe I can call in some favors to get one for this project.

> I expect the port to be straightforward from what I understand of the
> Linux iPaq port.

Yes indeed. As far as I know, it is "pretty much Linux".

-dg

--
David Gould                davidg               510 536 1443