Mnesia activity API future.

Daniil Fedotov

Hi,

In RabbitMQ team we are currently investigating possibilities of improving our use of mnesia by replacing the clustering bit and the native mnesia transactions with a custom mnesia_access module.
This is in order to improve partition handling in RabbitMQ, which have been a long standing issue.
The `mnesia:activity` API will be the main integration part of this change.

As the RabbitMQ team will have to support this solution for years, we would like to be sure that it will not be deprecated or changed significantly in the future mnesia versions.

So the question is foes Erlang OTP team have any plans for changing, removing or deprecating the API and will the mnesia_access behaviour be made a proper behaviour to keep the API callbacks in check?

Thanks.

Daniil Fedotov,
RabbitMQ team.

Re: Mnesia activity API future.

Dan Gudmundsson-3

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM Daniil Fedotov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

In RabbitMQ team we are currently investigating possibilities of improving our use of mnesia by replacing the clustering bit and the native mnesia transactions with a custom mnesia_access module.
This is in order to improve partition handling in RabbitMQ, which have been a long standing issue.
The `mnesia:activity` API will be the main integration part of this change.

As the RabbitMQ team will have to support this solution for years, we would like to be sure that it will not be deprecated or changed significantly in the future mnesia versions.

So the question is foes Erlang OTP team have any plans for changing, removing or deprecating the API and will the mnesia_access behaviour be made a proper behaviour to keep the API callbacks in check?

mnesia_access behaviour is seen as an official API, so that should be a stable API.
Of course any API can change, so that users of it might need to do changes,
but it's been stable for many moons now and I see nothing right now that will change the API.

On the other hand is there anything out there outside of mnesia_frag that uses it?  Your "new" usage might find bugs in API which might force us to change that.

A new behaviour will probably not be prioritized by us, if you want/require that do a PR including tests and documentation.

/Dan

Thanks.

Daniil Fedotov,
RabbitMQ team.