New Erlang EBook

Zachary Kessin-2
Hi everyone,

I have just put out a new Ebook on Using QuickCheck on Erlang. It covers all three major erlang QuickCheck versions (Quviq, PropEr, and Triq). and will take you from your first property to being a QuickCheck master.

Right now it is in Early Release. The content is being developed and it should be finished by Erlang Factory SF.

If you buy it today you will get all the updates as I work on it

http://www.erlang-quickcheck-book.com/
--
Zachary Kessin
Mostly Erlang Podcast

Re: New Erlang EBook

Jesse Gumm-2

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing, Zach, I'll definitely be checking this out.

--
Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems

On Mar 3, 2015 5:07 AM, "Zachary Kessin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just put out a new Ebook on Using QuickCheck on Erlang. It covers all three major erlang QuickCheck versions (Quviq, PropEr, and Triq). and will take you from your first property to being a QuickCheck master.

Right now it is in Early Release. The content is being developed and it should be finished by Erlang Factory SF.

If you buy it today you will get all the updates as I work on it

http://www.erlang-quickcheck-book.com/
--
Zachary Kessin
Mostly Erlang Podcast
Skype: zachkessin
Twitter: @zkessin

Re: New Erlang EBook

Chenini, Mohamed-2

Hi,

You should follow Fred Hebert path who made his ebook “STUFF GOES BAD: ERLANG IN ANGER"  free to download.

Regards,

Mohamed

[...]

====================
This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.

[...]

Mark Nijhof
K64
m: 0047 46748688
t:   @MarkNijhof
s:  marknijhof

Re: New Erlang EBook

Mark Nijhof-2
I am sorry but I find these "suggestions" very annoying! So a few questions:

- How much do you feel an hour of your time is worth?
- How much should one hour of Zachs time be worth?
- How long do you think it took to write this information down (let along gather it)?
- How long do you think it will take yourself to gather the same information?
- How much work do you do that others demand to be for free?

If people want to give things to the community then that is awesome, but it should not be expected, also looking at the questions above, the potential in sales (Erlang is a small community) then $39 is practically giving it away already.

Even this one: http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Neuroevolution-Through-Erlang-Gene-ebook/dp/B00AKIFKJ8 is probably not expensive for what value you get.

-Mark

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Mark Nijhof <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

m: <a href="tel:0047%2046748688" value="+4746748688" target="_blank">0047 46748688
t:   @MarkNijhof
s:  marknijhof

--
Mark Nijhof
K64

Re: New Erlang EBook

Loïc Hoguin-3
 From what I understand he published his ebook for free because Heroku
allowed him to work on it on company time and didn't want him to profit
from it.

That's a tough act to follow.

On 03/04/2015 04:32 PM, Chenini, Mohamed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You should follow *Fred Hebert* path who made his ebook “*STUFF GOES
> BAD: ERLANG IN ANGER"* *free* to download.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mohamed

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu

Re: New Erlang EBook

Fred Hebert-2
On 03/04, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> From what I understand he published his ebook for free because Heroku
> allowed him to work on it on company time and didn't want him to profit from
> it.

This is correct. Part of the manual had been started before in my free
time, but to finish it I got to negotiate and bring it under the Heroku
umbrella. It was a move for the community, so profit from it was out of
the question.

I personally always aim for what I write to be free (as in beer) -- if I
can't find the time, there just will be less content.

Various authors have different priorities, values, choices, schedules,
financial situations, jobs, and family lives. The side-benefits of
writing books (reputation, conference invitations, job offers, meeting
people, braggin rights, etc.) also apply differently depending on where
you are, both geographically and in your life. Some authors will hire
editors, copy-editors, reviewers, etc. while others won't.

It's no surprise they may prefer other routes than free copies, and we
should all be okay with that. They're the ones putting in the work, and
we're the ones benefitting from it.

If Zach wishes to charge money for his book, that's his prerogative.
He's written before and is likely aware of the consequences (Will
readers expense it at work, pirate it at home, borrow it from a library?
Does pricing change the perception people have from the book in terms of
quality?) and able to choose what he's comfortable with.

Regards,
Fred.

Re: New Erlang EBook

Roger Lipscombe-2
> If Zach wishes to charge money for his book, that's his prerogative.
> He's written before and is likely aware of the consequences (Will
> readers expense it at work, pirate it at home, borrow it from a library?
> Does pricing change the perception people have from the book in terms of
> quality?) and able to choose what he's comfortable with.

Absolutely agree with this. It is totally Zach's prerogative. Doesn't
make me stop wishing that there was a sample chapter available for
free, though. $39 seems like a lot to plunk down sight unseen. For
this reason alone, I'll be holding back.

Contrast this with the fact that I just this morning bought "Your Code
As a Crime Scene" from Pragpub based on reading a couple of sample
pages.

Re: New Erlang EBook

Mark Nijhof-2
This is much more constructive feedback, you are basically saying what is holding you back from buying vs wanting to get it for free. The argument was never about what an author does, just that what they decided to do to be respected.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Roger Lipscombe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If Zach wishes to charge money for his book, that's his prerogative.
> He's written before and is likely aware of the consequences (Will
> readers expense it at work, pirate it at home, borrow it from a library?
> Does pricing change the perception people have from the book in terms of
> quality?) and able to choose what he's comfortable with.

Absolutely agree with this. It is totally Zach's prerogative. Doesn't
make me stop wishing that there was a sample chapter available for
free, though. $39 seems like a lot to plunk down sight unseen. For
this reason alone, I'll be holding back.

Contrast this with the fact that I just this morning bought "Your Code
As a Crime Scene" from Pragpub based on reading a couple of sample
pages.

Mark Nijhof
K64
m: 0047 46748688
t:   @MarkNijhof
s:  marknijhof

Re: New Erlang EBook

Richard A. O'Keefe-2
Traditional publishing offers a number of things
 - advertising (sending information about an Erlang book to this mailing
   list is pretty good at that)
 - distribution (downloading a PDF covers that)
 - reviewing.  Not post-publication reviews (though it would be good to
   have book reviews at www.erlang.org), but pre-publication ones:  is
   this worth publishing?
 - editing.  This includes idiom, grammar, spelling, punctuation, help
   with layout and diagrams, spotting omissions and duplications &c
 - negotiation to use copyright material (like the cover of my Prolog book).

There can be community support for editing, so well edited free books are
not impossible.  But good editing is not free.  *Someone* has to pay.

Re: New Erlang EBook

Ivan Uemlianin
Good editing is rare in the traditional publishing world these days (imho). Certainly in computing. Caveat author if you rely on the publishing company to check the text/code/diagrams.

Ivan

--
festina lente

> On 5 Mar 2015, at 21:37, Richard A. O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Traditional publishing offers a number of things
> - advertising (sending information about an Erlang book to this mailing
>   list is pretty good at that)
> - distribution (downloading a PDF covers that)
> - reviewing.  Not post-publication reviews (though it would be good to
>   have book reviews at www.erlang.org), but pre-publication ones:  is
>   this worth publishing?
> - editing.  This includes idiom, grammar, spelling, punctuation, help
>   with layout and diagrams, spotting omissions and duplications &c
> - negotiation to use copyright material (like the cover of my Prolog book).
>
> There can be community support for editing, so well edited free books are
> not impossible.  But good editing is not free.  *Someone* has to pay.

Re: New Erlang EBook

David Welton-3
>  - reviewing.  Not post-publication reviews (though it would be good to
>    have book reviews at www.erlang.org), but pre-publication ones:  is
>    this worth publishing?

I like to see even self-published books on Amazon.com for this reason
- it's nice to see what other people think of something.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: New Erlang EBook

Tuncer Ayaz
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> Traditional publishing offers a number of things

[...]

>  - editing.  This includes idiom, grammar, spelling, punctuation, help
>    with layout and diagrams, spotting omissions and duplications &c
>  - negotiation to use copyright material (like the cover of my Prolog book).
>
> There can be community support for editing, so well edited free
> books are not impossible. But good editing is not free. *Someone*
> has to pay.

What publishers have good editing these days? Maybe I didn't notice
such faults in the past, but in books and magazines distributed by
major publishing houses in the last decade (or longer) I've noticed an
increase in easy to catch grammar and typo faults that went to the
printing presses unchanged. I can and do auto-correct them while
reading, but it slows down reading the same way error correction
adds latency.

Was this less of an issue in <=1999?

If the quality has declined, can this be attributed to the Internet
and maybe cuts in editing departments?

@Ivan: It's not just computing press that seems affected by
the decrease in editing quality.

Re: New Erlang EBook

Zachary Kessin-2
I put a sample chapter (On Shrinking) online

http://www.erlang-quickcheck-book.com/sample/

--Zach

On 03/05/2015 01:50 PM, Roger Lipscombe wrote:

>> If Zach wishes to charge money for his book, that's his prerogative.
>> He's written before and is likely aware of the consequences (Will
>> readers expense it at work, pirate it at home, borrow it from a library?
>> Does pricing change the perception people have from the book in terms of
>> quality?) and able to choose what he's comfortable with.
> Absolutely agree with this. It is totally Zach's prerogative. Doesn't
> make me stop wishing that there was a sample chapter available for
> free, though. $39 seems like a lot to plunk down sight unseen. For
> this reason alone, I'll be holding back.
>
> Contrast this with the fact that I just this morning bought "Your Code
> As a Crime Scene" from Pragpub based on reading a couple of sample
> pages.

Re: New Erlang EBook

Youngkin, Rich-2
Hi Zach,

Can you post a table of contents on the website?

Thanks,
Rich

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 07:56:31 +0200