Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hello,

I'm considering integrating multi-user chat into a Nitrogen application I'm building--- assuming that I'll support it with Mongoose IM. As usual, I'm in over my head, but persistent.

I'm imagining a small number ( four? six?) thematic chat rooms serving a relatively small number of visitors at a time. As to scale, think of a book-signing event at a bookstore.

I see that there are several JavaScript XMPP client packages that I could integrate into my Nitrogen web pages but, if that's the way, which one? Or, is there a native Erlang XMPP client app that I should look at? Indeed,  is Mongoose IM overkill? After all, the Nitrogen demos provide a very simple tinker-toy chat example, and numerous others can be found on the web though, most, rather long in the tooth.

And more, how much harder would it be to integrate video chat using, say, web sockets?

In other words, how can I best keep the gotchas, demons, and goblins at bay sufficiently to master the arcane arts of multi-user chat sufficiently to build my application before I die of old age?

I'd much appreciate pointers or, better yet, pointers to actual code.

All the best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

Re: Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Marc Worrell
Hi Lloyd,

Did you have a look at the exmpp client library?
There are some tutorials which might help in getting you started.

I don’t know of any other xmpp client libraries.

Cheers,

Marc

On 3 apr. 2015, at 05:29, Lloyd R. Prentice <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Grigory Fateyev-2
Hello Marc Worrell!
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:30:02 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Did you have a look at the exmpp client library?
> There are some tutorials which might help in getting you started.
>
> http://processone.github.io/exmpp/
> <http://processone.github.io/exmpp/>
>
> I don’t know of any other xmpp client libraries.

I have a very simple (hope in future it'll be more useful) a pet project
xmpp client that connects to rooms and does simple things. Like a bot.

I found exmpp more ready to use it like an example, but the author of
exmpp said:

"Just as a  head up,  note that post is > 5 years old already.  The
main goal of exmpp itself was to be used as parser/xml core in
ejabberd".

So I started my project as simple request-response flow with server.
The main problem is to read XMPP XEPs. :)

> > On 3 apr. 2015, at 05:29, Lloyd R. Prentice <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering integrating multi-user chat into a Nitrogen
> > application I'm building--- assuming that I'll support it with
> > Mongoose IM. As usual, I'm in over my head, but persistent.
> >
> > I'm imagining a small number ( four? six?) thematic chat rooms
> > serving a relatively small number of visitors at a time. As to
> > scale, think of a book-signing event at a bookstore.
> >
> > I see that there are several JavaScript XMPP client packages that I
> > could integrate into my Nitrogen web pages but, if that's the way,
> > which one? Or, is there a native Erlang XMPP client app that I
> > should look at? Indeed,  is Mongoose IM overkill? After all, the
> > Nitrogen demos provide a very simple tinker-toy chat example, and
> > numerous others can be found on the web though, most, rather long
> > in the tooth.
> >
> > And more, how much harder would it be to integrate video chat
> > using, say, web sockets?
> >
> > In other words, how can I best keep the gotchas, demons, and
> > goblins at bay sufficiently to master the arcane arts of multi-user
> > chat sufficiently to build my application before I die of old age?
> >
> > I'd much appreciate pointers or, better yet, pointers to actual
> > code.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > LRP
> >
> > Sent from my iPad

Best regards!
gfborn [at] gmail [dot] com

Re: Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hi Grigory,

Have you published code anywhere?

Thanks,

Lloyd

exmpp said:

"Just as a  head up,  note that post is > 5 years old already.  The
main goal of exmpp itself was to be used as parser/xml core in
ejabberd".

So I started my project as simple request-response flow with server.
The main problem is to read XMPP XEPs. :)

> > On 3 apr. 2015, at 05:29, Lloyd R. Prentice <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering integrating multi-user chat into a Nitrogen
> > application I'm building--- assuming that I'll support it with
> > Mongoose IM. As usual, I'm in over my head, but persistent.
> >
> > I'm imagining a small number ( four? six?) thematic chat rooms
> > serving a relatively small number of visitors at a time. As to
> > scale, think of a book-signing event at a bookstore.
> >
> > I see that there are several JavaScript XMPP client packages that I
> > could integrate into my Nitrogen web pages but, if that's the way,
> > which one? Or, is there a native Erlang XMPP client app that I
> > should look at? Indeed,  is Mongoose IM overkill? After all, the
> > Nitrogen demos provide a very simple tinker-toy chat example, and
> > numerous others can be found on the web though, most, rather long
> > in the tooth.
> >
> > And more, how much harder would it be to integrate video chat
> > using, say, web sockets?
> >
> > In other words, how can I best keep the gotchas, demons, and
> > goblins at bay sufficiently to master the arcane arts of multi-user
> > chat sufficiently to build my application before I die of old age?
> >
> > I'd much appreciate pointers or, better yet, pointers to actual
> > code.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > LRP
> >
> > Sent from my iPad

Best regards!
gfborn [at] gmail [dot] com

Re: Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Jose Luis Navarro-2

Maybe this can help you https://github.com/artefactop/ebot is not updated but can be a good start.

Regards

exmpp said:

"Just as a  head up,  note that post is > 5 years old already.  The
main goal of exmpp itself was to be used as parser/xml core in
ejabberd".

So I started my project as simple request-response flow with server.
The main problem is to read XMPP XEPs. :)

> > On 3 apr. 2015, at 05:29, Lloyd R. Prentice <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering integrating multi-user chat into a Nitrogen
> > application I'm building--- assuming that I'll support it with
> > Mongoose IM. As usual, I'm in over my head, but persistent.
> >
> > I'm imagining a small number ( four? six?) thematic chat rooms
> > serving a relatively small number of visitors at a time. As to
> > scale, think of a book-signing event at a bookstore.
> >
> > I see that there are several JavaScript XMPP client packages that I
> > could integrate into my Nitrogen web pages but, if that's the way,
> > which one? Or, is there a native Erlang XMPP client app that I
> > should look at? Indeed,  is Mongoose IM overkill? After all, the
> > Nitrogen demos provide a very simple tinker-toy chat example, and
> > numerous others can be found on the web though, most, rather long
> > in the tooth.
> >
> > And more, how much harder would it be to integrate video chat
> > using, say, web sockets?
> >
> > In other words, how can I best keep the gotchas, demons, and
> > goblins at bay sufficiently to master the arcane arts of multi-user
> > chat sufficiently to build my application before I die of old age?
> >
> > I'd much appreciate pointers or, better yet, pointers to actual
> > code.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > LRP
> >
> > Sent from my iPad

Best regards!
gfborn [at] gmail [dot] com

Re: Nitrogen-based XMPP client?

Radosław Szymczyszyn
Hi Lloyd,

It's nice to see interest in MongooseIM.
One of the support libraries we use when developing the server is
Escalus - an XMPP client brought to life as a lib facilitating
functional testing, but usable outside a testing environment. After
struggling with Tsung for stressing XMPP servers we also started using
Escalus as core of a load testing tool and never looked back.
The thing to keep in mind if you intend to use it is: use
escalus_connection directly, not escalus_client. The latter might be a
bottleneck if you intend to drive a lot of connections with it (it's a
single process) - it's not a problem for a functional test suite, but
might be for some real world applications.
The project is available on GitHub: https://github.com/esl/escalus/

At this point it's probably obvious, but to make it explicit: I work
at Erlang Solutions on MongooseIM, Escalus and XMPP. I'm also
reachable as radoslaw.szymczyszyn @ the company's domain.

Best regards,
Radek Szymczyszyn