OTP Versions and Maint Branches

Rickard Green-2
Since there lately have been at least two questions about OTP versions and branches I thought that I'll give a short description on how OTP versions relate to our maint-<Rel> branches.

As of the OTP 17 release we changed the version scheme used. Due to this the following only applies to OTP releases from OTP 17 and onwards.

We have one main track of OTP versions. Such versions are on the form OTP X.Y[.Z] and we call these versions normal versions. New normal versions are only assigned to the latest release. When we release a new release of OTP, the next new version on the previous release has to branch off from the latest version of that release. When this happens, the code mass will branch off from the main track and the versions issued will also reflect that. We call these versions branched versions and these are on the form OTP X.Y.Z.U[.V ...]

The following "graph" shows the most interesting parts of the version tree as of today. The main track is in the left column.

OTP 17.0

OTP 17.5.6
 |           \
OTP 18.0      OTP 17.5.6.1
 |             |
...           ...
 |             |
...           OTP 17.5.6.9  (Current head of maint-17)

OTP 18.3.4
 |           \
OTP 19.0      OTP 18.3.4.1
 |             |
...           ...
 |             |
...           OTP 18.3.4.7  (Current head of maint-18)

OTP 19.3.6
 |           \
OTP 20.0      OTP 19.3.6.1
 |             |
...           ...
 |             |
...           OTP 19.3.6.4  (Current head of maint-19)

OTP 20.1.7 (Current head of maint-20)

The maint-17 branch will always have version numbers on the form OTP 17.5.6.U, maint-18 on the form OTP 18.3.4.U, and maint-19 on the form OTP 19.3.6.U. That is, versions like for example OTP 19.3.7 will *never* ever show up.

When we release OTP 21, the maint-20 branch will branch off from the main track and will then get branched version numbers as well. We do however not now until that happens what those version numbers will look like.

All patches released on the maint-R branches will be announced on the erlang-questions list.

Appart from new versions on the maint-R branches there might appear new branched versions more or less anywhere in the version tree. Those patches address specific issues for specific customers and can be ignored by others. We do also *not* announce such patches on the erlang-questions list.

The easiest way to keep track of patches that you are interested in should be to track the maint-R branches that you are interested in.

We more or less support three releases. The latest and the two older just before that one. There might however show up patches on releases older than that.

For more info in the version scheme see http://erlang.org/doc/system_principles/versions.html

Regards,
Rickard

--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Re: OTP Versions and Maint Branches

Leo Liu-2
On 2017-12-03 00:23 +0100, Rickard Green wrote:
> The following "graph" shows the most interesting parts of the version tree
> as of today. The main track is in the left column.

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense.

Another issue is what is the life-span of a major version? Is there some
sort of end-of-life? 3rd party applications often support way more major
versions than necessary. Such information may help them decide when to
drop a version when it is not receiving critical fixes. Thanks.

Leo

Re: OTP Versions and Maint Branches

Loïc Hoguin-3
Thanks for the clarifications.

It is unfortunate that the customer-specific versions do not have a part
identifying them like 20.0.7.1-potato. That would make it completely
obvious.

On 12/03/2017 12:23 AM, Rickard Green wrote:

> [...]
> main track and will then get branched version numbers as well. We do
> however not now until that happens what those version numbers will look
> like.
>
> All patches released on the maint-R branches will be announced on the
> erlang-questions list.
>
> Appart from new versions on the maint-R branches there might appear new
> branched versions more or less anywhere in the version tree. Those
> patches address specific issues for specific customers and can be
> ignored by others. We do also *not* announce such patches on the
> erlang-questions list.
>
> The easiest way to keep track of patches that you are interested in
> should be to track the maint-R branches that you are interested in.
>
> We more or less support three releases. The latest and the two older
> just before that one. There might however show up patches on releases

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: OTP Versions and Maint Branches

Henrik Nord X
On sön, 2017-12-03 at 11:43 +0800, Leo Liu wrote:

> On 2017-12-03 00:23 +0100, Rickard Green wrote:
> >
> > The following "graph" shows the most interesting parts of the
> > version tree
> > as of today. The main track is in the left column.
> Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense.
>
> Another issue is what is the life-span of a major version? Is there
> some
> sort of end-of-life? 3rd party applications often support way more
> major
> versions than necessary. Such information may help them decide when
> drop a version when it is not receiving critical fixes. Thanks.
>
> Leo

--snip from Rickard