On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
moi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

moi
From R13B03 and on, wx can't run on my Windows XP (SP2) box. While on
the same machine, elder versions are OK.

I have checked wxe_driver.dll with MS Depends, and installed VC2005
runtime DLL of different built numbers (8.0.50727.762, 8.0.50727.1433,
8.0.50727.4053, etc), but it's still broken.

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Antoine Koener
I have exactly the same problem.
But for WinXP SP3

I can't make wx work with newer version than R13B02.

But, while debugging the werl.exe with Windbg sometimes the wx:new(),  
works ...
And when it fails it's in a call of RtlEnterCriticalSection or  
something like this...

Last, if you want to know the real VC++ needed you can open the  
wxe_driver.dll and search
for its "manifest" (it's at the end of the file) you'll find the real  
version that is needed...


On Mar 2, 2010, at 08:05 , MapAndFold wrote:

> From R13B03 and on, wx can't run on my Windows XP (SP2) box. While on
> the same machine, elder versions are OK.
>
> I have checked wxe_driver.dll with MS Depends, and installed VC2005
> runtime DLL of different built numbers (8.0.50727.762, 8.0.50727.1433,
> 8.0.50727.4053, etc), but it's still broken.
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
> See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
> To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]
>


________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Steve Davis

FWIW, I have not had any issues with wx on Win XP/SP3 since the very
early days.

When you start your instance of (w)erl, are you certain that you are
using the -smp enable flag?

You very probably are, but it's possible you have overlooked it and wx
will certainly fail without it.

Best regards,
Steve

On Mar 3, 7:35 pm, Koener Antoine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem.
> But for WinXP SP3
>
> I can't make wx work with newer version than R13B02.

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Dan Gudmundsson-2
Are you running it from werl?

erl and wxwidgets seems to be fighting for stdio, so it needs to be run from
werl or erl -detached -s wx demo

/Dan

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Steve Davis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> FWIW, I have not had any issues with wx on Win XP/SP3 since the very
> early days.
>
> When you start your instance of (w)erl, are you certain that you are
> using the -smp enable flag?
>
> You very probably are, but it's possible you have overlooked it and wx
> will certainly fail without it.
>
> Best regards,
> Steve
>
> On Mar 3, 7:35 pm, Koener Antoine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have exactly the same problem.
>> But for WinXP SP3
>>
>> I can't make wx work with newer version than R13B02.
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
> See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
> To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]
>
>

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

moi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

moi
I have a Intel Core 2, SMP is enabled, and I am using werl.

Erlang R13B04 (erts-5.7.5) [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]

Eshell V5.7.5  (abort with ^G)
1> wx:demo().

Then, a memory access error occurred, and werl aborted.

---------------------------
werl.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The instruction at "0x7c911948" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read".

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you running it from werl?
>
> erl and wxwidgets seems to be fighting for stdio, so it needs to be run from
> werl or erl -detached -s wx demo
>
> /Dan
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Steve Davis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Dan Gudmundsson-2
Have you with this problem tried R14A, is it working now?

I found that we had upgraded Visual Studio without recompiling
wxWidgets DLL's causing the
wx-driver to be dependent on two different versions of the runtime DLL,
where only the latest where installed with erlang.

Thanks for locating it.

/Dan

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:48 AM, MapAndFold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Intel Core 2, SMP is enabled, and I am using werl.
>
> Erlang R13B04 (erts-5.7.5) [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
>
> Eshell V5.7.5  (abort with ^G)
> 1> wx:demo().
>
> Then, a memory access error occurred, and werl aborted.
>
> ---------------------------
> werl.exe - Application Error
> ---------------------------
> The instruction at "0x7c911948" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you running it from werl?
>>
>> erl and wxwidgets seems to be fighting for stdio, so it needs to be run from
>> werl or erl -detached -s wx demo
>>
>> /Dan
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Steve Davis
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

moi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

moi
Yeah, I have tried again on R14A, and it is *almost* OK now.

But, another problem occurs:

Opening the sudoku demo, drag to resize the window, then things crash
with this message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------
Sudoku: werl.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The instruction at "0x02292376" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
memory could not be "read".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guest is that it seems to be related to the painting procedure of
the window. My little app which draws some graphics is also easy to
crash when resizing the window, while in wx:demo(), most of the
examples are OK (graphicsContext is easy to crash).

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you with this problem tried R14A, is it working now?
>
> I found that we had upgraded Visual Studio without recompiling
> wxWidgets DLL's causing the
> wx-driver to be dependent on two different versions of the runtime DLL,
> where only the latest where installed with erlang.
>
> Thanks for locating it.
>
> /Dan
>

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Antoine Koener
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:54 AM, MapAndFold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, I have tried again on R14A, and it is *almost* OK now.
>
> But, another problem occurs:
>
> Opening the sudoku demo, drag to resize the window, then things crash
> with this message.
>
>
While your talking about the sudoku application, it's worth saying that it
takes 100% CPU.
Don't know if it's wx related but for my point of view it's a complete
failure.
UI must not take too much cpu (I'm not talking about games...)

Note that I know that this sudoku thing is only a proof of concept, and it
is not designed as
a top quality game, but this don't encourage myself to rely heavily on
wx/erlang :/


>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------
> Sudoku: werl.exe - Application Error
> ---------------------------
> The instruction at "0x02292376" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> My guest is that it seems to be related to the painting procedure of
> the window. My little app which draws some graphics is also easy to
> crash when resizing the window, while in wx:demo(), most of the
> examples are OK (graphicsContext is easy to crash).
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Have you with this problem tried R14A, is it working now?
> >
> > I found that we had upgraded Visual Studio without recompiling
> > wxWidgets DLL's causing the
> > wx-driver to be dependent on two different versions of the runtime DLL,
> > where only the latest where installed with erlang.
> >
> > Thanks for locating it.
> >
> > /Dan
> >
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
> See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
> To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

Dan Gudmundsson-2
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Antoine Koener
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:54 AM, MapAndFold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I have tried again on R14A, and it is *almost* OK now.
>>
>> But, another problem occurs:
>>
>> Opening the sudoku demo, drag to resize the window, then things crash
>> with this message.
>>
>
Thanks for the input, I need to see if I can repeat that.

> While your talking about the sudoku application, it's worth saying that it
> takes 100% CPU.
> Don't know if it's wx related but for my point of view it's a complete
> failure.
> UI must not take too much cpu (I'm not talking about games...)
> Note that I know that this sudoku thing is only a proof of concept, and it
> is not designed as
> a top quality game, but this don't encourage myself to rely heavily on
> wx/erlang :/

:-)

It's not the gui that takes 100% cpu, the game generates new boards in
the background for a while.
Generating boards (at least in my implementation) takes some cpu.
You know in erlang you can spawn processes to do work while waiting
for user input. :-)
But if you wait some time it will have generated 5 boards and it will
slow down.

/Dan

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]

moi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: On Windows XP (SP2): wx broken

moi
In reply to this post by Antoine Koener
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Antoine Koener <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> While your talking about the sudoku application, it's worth saying that it
> takes 100% CPU.
> Don't know if it's wx related but for my point of view it's a complete
> failure.
> UI must not take too much cpu (I'm not talking about games...)
> Note that I know that this sudoku thing is only a proof of concept, and it
> is not designed as
> a top quality game, but this don't encourage myself to rely heavily on
> wx/erlang :/
>

Actually, I like the wx Sudoku game very much. Here, I just use it as
a regression to test wx on R14A.

/Li

________________________________________________________________
erlang-questions (at) erlang.org mailing list.
See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
To unsubscribe; mailto:[hidden email]