Packet type http and httph in {inet,ssl}:setopts/2

Packet type http and httph in {inet,ssl}:setopts/2

Oscar Hellström-2
Hi All,

In the documentation in the inet module the last line reads:
"Note that the packet type httph is not needed when reading from a socket."

This isn't quite true if you want to read HTTP Trailers which can be
found after an entity body using the chunked transfer coding. Setting
the option {packet, http} and then reading the following data:
"Trailer-1: 1\r\n\r\n"
Will return {http_error, "Trailer-1: 1\r\n"} instead of {ok,
{http_header, ...}}. I guess that's because the http parser is keeping a
state of some sort. Using the option {packet, httph} however works well
for reading trailer both for the ssl module and gen_tcp / inet. Is there
any possibility to document the use of packet type httph as a valid
option for {inet,ssl}:setopts/2 as well?

Best regards

--
Oscar Hellström, [hidden email]
Office: +44 20 7655 0337

erlang-bugs (at) erlang.org

Re: Packet type http and httph in {inet,ssl}:setopts/2

Sverker Eriksson
Oscar Hellström wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In the documentation in the inet module the last line reads:
> "Note that the packet type httph is not needed when reading from a socket."
>
> This isn't quite true if you want to read HTTP Trailers which can be
> found after an entity body using the chunked transfer coding. Setting
> the option {packet, http} and then reading the following data:
> "Trailer-1: 1\r\n\r\n"
> Will return {http_error, "Trailer-1: 1\r\n"} instead of {ok,
> {http_header, ...}}. I guess that's because the http parser is keeping a
> state of some sort.
Yes, the socket holds a state and automatically switches from http to
httph after a request or response has been received.
When the parser is called via erlang:decode_packet/3, no such state exist.

> Using the option {packet, httph} however works well
> for reading trailer both for the ssl module and gen_tcp / inet. Is there
> any possibility to document the use of packet type httph as a valid
> option for {inet,ssl}:setopts/2 as well?

Yes, I will make that more clear. I guess "httph is not needed" was to
over-simplify things.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP

erlang-bugs (at) erlang.org