Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

Vance Shipley
In the User's Guide for the GS application it says:

   "GS is not maintained and we plan to deprecate and remove it from
    the distribution as soon as possible, maybe already in the next
    major release (R15)."

I am hopeful that gs wouldn't be removed until the tools were ported
over to use wx.  Is that a fair assumption?

--
        -Vance

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

Kenneth Lundin
GS will not be removed until the remaining tools; pman, appmon, tv and
etop are ported to
wx.
The work with porting the tools is already started.
In that work we also plan to merge pman, appmon and etop into one
single tool since they all partly do the same thing.

The benefits with getting rid of GS are many:
- GS gives an ugly non native looking look and feel on all platforms
- GS is missing a lot of features that are taken for granted in a GUI
library today.
- We don't want to maintain 2 different GUI libraries with external dependencies

/ Kenneth, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:47 AM, G.S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm hoping that GS will not be removed at all. I still don't see any benefit
> at all to move to wx.
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Vance Shipley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In the User's Guide for the GS application it says:
>>
>>   "GS is not maintained and we plan to deprecate and remove it from
>>    the distribution as soon as possible, maybe already in the next
>>    major release (R15)."
>>
>> I am hopeful that gs wouldn't be removed until the tools were ported
>> over to use wx.  Is that a fair assumption?
>>
>> --
>>        -Vance

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

G.S.-2
Kenneth,

You are of course right about wx, and the benefits gained from moving to it. I guess my reluctance stems from having used gs for a number of years, and getting so used to it, and because I'm only using a small subset of its features for my projects, so I never had the chance to come across the library's limitations. But when working on a full GUI, I can see where GS might be lacking significantly. So the move to wx would be a generally positive thing.

When do you expect porting of the tools will be complete, in less or more than a year?

Regards,
-Gene

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Kenneth Lundin <[hidden email]> wrote:
GS will not be removed until the remaining tools; pman, appmon, tv and
etop are ported to
wx.
The work with porting the tools is already started.
In that work we also plan to merge pman, appmon and etop into one
single tool since they all partly do the same thing.

The benefits with getting rid of GS are many:
- GS gives an ugly non native looking look and feel on all platforms
- GS is missing a lot of features that are taken for granted in a GUI
library today.
- We don't want to maintain 2 different GUI libraries with external dependencies

/ Kenneth, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:47 AM, G.S. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm hoping that GS will not be removed at all. I still don't see any benefit
> at all to move to wx.
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Vance Shipley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In the User's Guide for the GS application it says:
>>
>>   "GS is not maintained and we plan to deprecate and remove it from
>>    the distribution as soon as possible, maybe already in the next
>>    major release (R15)."
>>
>> I am hopeful that gs wouldn't be removed until the tools were ported
>> over to use wx.  Is that a fair assumption?
>>
>> --
>>        -Vance

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

bsmr
It would be great if You would add another layer on top of wx.
Basically to abstract the actual "engine" beneath it.

Maybe one day wx will be replaced by something like "freeglut",
"Ogre3D", or "something completely unknown yet".
Or there will be a new environment, where wx can't be build or another
(G)UI exists, that should/must be used.

  - boris

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

Robert Virding-2
If you implemented gs on top of wx then you would automatically get the tools ported. And get a more implementation independent interface. You could then at leisure improve the tools by having them directly run on wx.

Robert

----- "Boris Mühmer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be great if You would add another layer on top of wx.
> Basically to abstract the actual "engine" beneath it.
>
> Maybe one day wx will be replaced by something like "freeglut",
> "Ogre3D", or "something completely unknown yet".
> Or there will be a new environment, where wx can't be build or
> another
> (G)UI exists, that should/must be used.
>

>   - boris

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

Anthony Ramine
wx is already a GUI abstraction toolkit; I don't think putting an abstraction on top of an abstraction is the way to go here.

Le 14 mai 2011 à 21:05, Robert Virding a écrit :

> If you implemented gs on top of wx then you would automatically get the tools ported. And get a more implementation independent interface. You could then at leisure improve the tools by having them directly run on wx.
>
> Robert
>
> ----- "Boris Mühmer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would be great if You would add another layer on top of wx.
>> Basically to abstract the actual "engine" beneath it.
>>
>> Maybe one day wx will be replaced by something like "freeglut",
>> "Ogre3D", or "something completely unknown yet".
>> Or there will be a new environment, where wx can't be build or
>> another
>> (G)UI exists, that should/must be used.
>>

>>  - boris

Anthony Ramine
Dev:Extend
http://dev-extend.eu

Re: Porting appmon/pman/debugger/tv to Wx?

Steve Davis
I looked at the feasibility of doing that. Below is a link to the open
sourced "experiment".

Note that this codebase has come a fair distance since the time of
those initial drops, having driven down to largely talking to the wx
port, and leaving the current, rather thin, and very non-standard
erlang API out of the picture.

When I consider this alternative API valid for general use, I'll do a
big drop with an Apache 2 license.

Until that time, however, I am not committing to any timescale.

https://github.com/komone/gx

/s