Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Hakan Stenholm
I'm quite interested if anyone knows anything about this, I can't realy
see any seriouse problems that could make this imposible.

* Erlang works fine when compiled in PPC linux versions (LinuxPPC and
SuSE) on both G3 and G4 macs so hardwarevise this should be ok.
* MacOS X (~ BSD with MacOS GUI) seams to include all the unix stuff
erlang needs (like PERL 5, Java 1.2, gcc ...)

Not quite unexpectedly the regular compile procedure didn't work, as
I have to admit that I am sorely lacking in shell script expirence
I can't realy figure out what the make files do.

I'm currently interested to know if anyone has a clue as to how much
work would be needed to get it working (at least VM and basic modules
like lists, ets ...), sadly I'm not sure if I have the expirience or the
time (I'm allready hacking on a strategy game in erlang using linux as
dev. platform) to actualy do this.
Expirience from the FreeBSD port might be usefull.

ps: the guy (preilly)  who was noted as working on a
MacOS version on the erlang.org site, who I mailed to a year ago asking
about progress and MacOS version of the port, hasn't answeard the mail I
sent a couple of days ago.
When I inquired (to kent : "For comments or questions
about this site") about his mail adress a couple of months ago I got the
respons that they hadn't heard anything about the port progress either -
so I have no high hopes that any port is going to appear in the
forseable future.

Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Daniel Neri
Hakan Stenholm <etxhste> writes:

> Not quite unexpectedly the regular compile procedure didn't work, as
> I have to admit that I am sorely lacking in shell script expirence
> I can't realy figure out what the make files do.

If you show us the error messages and maybe the config.log file, I'm
sure someone could help you out. (You're using GNU make, right?)

>  Expirience from the FreeBSD port might be usefull.

Actually, R7B-1 should compile out-of-the-box on FreeBSD (I know
first-hand that it does on OpenBSD and NetBSD).

It could well be that teaching erts/autoconf/config.{guess,sub} about
MacOS X/Darwin is enough to make things work. Try replacing them with
something a bit more recent:

    http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/config/

Best wishes,
   --Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne

Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Taavi Talvik-3
On 26 Jan 2001, Daniel Neri wrote:

> Hakan Stenholm <etxhste> writes:
>
> > Not quite unexpectedly the regular compile procedure didn't work, as
> > I have to admit that I am sorely lacking in shell script expirence
> > I can't realy figure out what the make files do.
>
> If you show us the error messages and maybe the config.log file, I'm
> sure someone could help you out. (You're using GNU make, right?)
>
> >  Expirience from the FreeBSD port might be usefull.
>
> Actually, R7B-1 should compile out-of-the-box on FreeBSD (I know
> first-hand that it does on OpenBSD and NetBSD).

Yes, R7B-1 compiles out-of-the-box on FreeBSD. Only
issue is, that you sould have jdk-1.2 installed and default
java environment.

At first install
        /usr/ports/devel/gmake
        /usr/ports/java/linux-jdk

best regards,
taavi

Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Jakob Praher
Hello fellow erlangers!

I have ported Erlang to MacOSX, quite easily, just hacking a bit in the
configure scripts. I have no numbers on performance yet, but it seems
reasonably fast. (My 266MHz G3 being on par with a 500MHz Pentium II
windows machine.)

I am also experimenting with the graphical interface. As you know, MacOSX
doesn't use X-windows, instead it has a interface called Aqua, which is a
newer version of NextStep. I have two ways to use GUI on MacOSX: a
erl_interface-based module which can be used with the Interface Builder to
create a Mac GUI to an Erlang program; and an attempt to port gs, that
still has lots of work to be usable (i.e. good enough to run the debugger).

Please let me know if anyone's interested, or willing to help.

I'm planning to make an open source-release of OTP on MacOSX, after I've
tested it with the released MacOSX.

/Jakob

Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Ulf Wiger-4
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Jakob Cederlund p? UAB wrote:

>Hello fellow erlangers!
>
>I have ported Erlang to MacOSX, quite easily, just hacking a bit in
>the configure scripts. I have no numbers on performance yet, but it
>seems reasonably fast. (My 266MHz G3 being on par with a 500MHz
>Pentium II windows machine.)

It's about time!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac capable of running MacOSX (I have a
dead PowerBook 140 and a working PowerBook Duo, believe it or not.)

My Mac days are behind me (but who knows what the future might
bring.), but I will brag a little about having run Erlang on the Mac
back in 1992. It wasn't stable enough to be useable. Boy, if I had had
a stable Erlang/OTP environment back then.......

>I am also experimenting with the graphical interface. As you know,
>MacOSX doesn't use X-windows, instead it has a interface called
>Aqua, which is a newer version of NextStep. I have two ways to use
>GUI on MacOSX: a erl_interface-based module which can be used with
>the Interface Builder to create a Mac GUI to an Erlang program; and
>an attempt to port gs, that still has lots of work to be usable
>(i.e. good enough to run the debugger).

It sounds to me like doing a nice, clean coupling to the Interface
Builder is the way to go for new apps.

>Please let me know if anyone's interested, or willing to help.

I can give you an enthusiastic cheer once in a while.  (:

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95

Porting erlang to MacOS X ?

Thomas Lange
You just gave me the final argument for buying that beautiful G4!

/Thomas