Projects using PropEr

Pablo Costas Sánchez
Hi everyone,

I'm a CS undergrad student currently expanding PropEr to allow parallelized and distributed testing as my final project.

I'm at the point where I'm about to start measuring the speedup of my patched PropEr, but I'm lacking enough projects using PropEr to start judging the execution times of either version, so I was wondering if you knew of any open-source project using PropEr (bonus points if their property-based tests take a long time to finish).

Best regards,
Pablo Costas.

Re: Projects using PropEr

Roberto Aloi-6
Hi Pablo!

One quick and dirty way to look for Erlang projects using PropEr would be to use the GitHub search box and look for occurrences of:

-include_lib("proper/include/proper.hrl").
Unfortunately GitHub does not seem to provide the ability of sorting projects by stars while searching, so one would need to scan the list of results and look for good candidates (unless you are willing to create a script which does just that).

OTP itself seems to have some property based tests. See: https://github.com/erlang/otp/search?q=-include_lib%28%22proper%2Finclude%2Fproper.hrl%22%29.&unscoped_q=-include_lib%28%22proper%2Finclude%2Fproper.hrl%22%29.

Another approach could be to publish an experimental branch/fork of PropEr with your improvements. That would enable other interested parties to try your work out on their private repositories and give you feedback.

Good luck with your project!

Roberto

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 17:51, Pablo Costas Sánchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a CS undergrad student currently expanding PropEr to allow parallelized and distributed testing as my final project.

I'm at the point where I'm about to start measuring the speedup of my patched PropEr, but I'm lacking enough projects using PropEr to start judging the execution times of either version, so I was wondering if you knew of any open-source project using PropEr (bonus points if their property-based tests take a long time to finish).

Best regards,
Pablo Costas.

Re: Projects using PropEr

Loïc Hoguin-3
Cowlib has a few:

   https://github.com/ninenines/cowlib

"make proper"

They don't take very long to finish, the longest is probably a second or
two. That said they don't take very long also because I've left the
number of tests at 100, I'd love to increase it while keeping the same
execution time.

Cheers,

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Projects using PropEr

Pablo Costas Sánchez
Noted it, thank you!

El lun., 9 mar. 2020 a las 18:04, Krukoff, John (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi,

I have a small open source library with a proper test suite here:
https://github.com/jkrukoff/llists

Overall run time of the test suite is fairly dependent on the configured max_size:
https://github.com/jkrukoff/llists/blob/master/rebar.config#L22

Hope that helps!

I'm a CS undergrad student currently expanding PropEr to allow parallelized and distributed testing as my final project.

I'm at the point where I'm about to start measuring the speedup of my patched PropEr, but I'm lacking enough projects using PropEr to start judging the execution times of either version, so I was wondering if you knew of any open-source project using PropEr (bonus points if their property-based tests take a long time to finish).

Best regards,

Pablo Costas.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.

TIAA

Re: Projects using PropEr

Pablo Costas Sánchez
Nice! Thanks for the tip on the script option.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM Michael Truog <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Pablo,

The main CloudI repository has a PropEr test for cloudi_service_quorum if NUMTESTS is tweaked at

The CLOUDI_LONG_TEST_TIMEOUT can be set through the configure script option
--with-long-test-timeout .  The cloudi_service_quorum PropEr test is then ran with "make tests" if enabled with the configure flag
--with-long-test-timeout .  The PropEr source code used is in the src/external/proper path with the version information at

Best Regards,
Michael

On 3/9/20 9:33 AM, Pablo Costas Sánchez wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a CS undergrad student currently expanding PropEr to allow parallelized and distributed testing as my final project.

I'm at the point where I'm about to start measuring the speedup of my patched PropEr, but I'm lacking enough projects using PropEr to start judging the execution times of either version, so I was wondering if you knew of any open-source project using PropEr (bonus points if their property-based tests take a long time to finish).

Best regards,
Pablo Costas.

Re: Projects using PropEr

Pablo Costas Sánchez
Hey Roberto,

Thanks for the tip on how to search more projects in Github. Didn't know OTP itself was using PropEr, that'll be a good one to try.

The experimental fork is already on Github, at pablocostass/proper, although I didn't mention it mainly because I still have to fix a thing or two, but thanks for the interest!

Best regards,

Pablo Costas.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:35 PM Roberto Aloi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best regards,
Pablo Costas.

Re: Projects using PropEr

Pablo Costas Sánchez
Hey Loïc,

Thanks for sharing, will definitely keep that in mind if I get good execution times.

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Projects using PropEr

Andreas Schultz-3
We have CT suites using proper on a few projects:
They can be mode long running by upping the number of iterations.

Regards
Andreas

Am Mo., 9. März 2020 um 17:51 Uhr schrieb Pablo Costas Sánchez <[hidden email]>:
Hi everyone,

I'm a CS undergrad student currently expanding PropEr to allow parallelized and distributed testing as my final project.

I'm at the point where I'm about to start measuring the speedup of my patched PropEr, but I'm lacking enough projects using PropEr to start judging the execution times of either version, so I was wondering if you knew of any open-source project using PropEr (bonus points if their property-based tests take a long time to finish).

Best regards,
Pablo Costas.

--

Andreas Schultz

--

Principal Engineer

t: +49 391 819099-224

------------------------------- enabling your networks -----------------------------

Travelping GmbH
Roentgenstraße 13
39108 Magdeburg
Germany

t: +49 391 819099-0
f: +49 391 819099-299

e: [hidden email]
w: https://www.travelping.com/

Company registration: Amtsgericht Stendal
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann
Reg. No.: HRB 10578
VAT ID: DE236673780

Sv: Projects using PropEr

Hans Nilsson R (AL/EAB)
The Erlang/OTP system itself uses proper in the nightly tests for the following applications:

 compiler
 crypto
 ftp
 ssh