Query on odbc driver

Gattu shiva krishna
Hello Erlang team,

I got a requirement to use Postgresql Database as part of our Erlang web
application. To communicate from Erlang to Database I need a connector.
Erlang provides odbc driver to connect but still few client
libraries(epgsql,pgsql,etc.,) are available to communicate with
Postgresql. What is the difference between odbc driver and other client
libraries. Can anyone suggest which is the best one to use.?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and regards,

Gattu Shivakrishna.

Re: Query on odbc driver

Jordan Chaitin
I use Erlang with Postgres regularly. In addition to the driver, one
generally also needs a pooling tool on both the Postgres side, as well
as the Erlang side.

Pgapp is a commonly used front end with pool support, (although, IMO, a
bit heavy) https://github.com/epgsql/pgapp

Epgsql had many forks in the past, but this one seems to be the most
well maintained and commonly used library now
https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql

Episcina https://github.com/erlware/episcina is another front end with
pooling support, although it doesn't seem to work anymore, and the
project seems unmaintained at this point.

Semiocast's pgsql https://github.com/semiocast/pgsql is a good tool too.

PGO https://github.com/SpaceTime-IoT/pgo is a new but neat little tool
combining pooling and a driver in one, and works quite well for standard
usage (there might be some unhandled edge cases). I believe pgo's author
intends to replace the backend with the more popular Epgsql to avoid
duplication of work on the protocol side.

I have used Epgsql + pgapp, as well as Pgsql + Episcina in the past. At
the present time I need to do mostly only parametrized queries and I use
pgo.

For simple needs, I would recommend PGO. For more complex use cases, go
for Epgsql + Pgapp.

Cheers