R8B PRE-RELEASES

Kent Boortz-2

************************ R8B PRE-RELEASES ************************

We are asking you for help testing the pre-releases (P8A) for R8B.
These are snapshots from our daily build and test.

The release notes and documentation is not completed yet but you can
view it in its current state, including a preliminary description of
the release highlights, at

  http://www.erlang.org/doc/p8a/doc/
  http://www.erlang.org/doc/p8a/doc/highlights.html

The different releases are

  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_sunos5_P8A-20010902-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

    Solaris 2.5.1 commercial binary pre-release. It is tested on
    Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7.

  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_solaris8_P8A-20010902-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

    Solaris 8 commercial binary pre-release.

  http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/otp_src_P8A-20010902-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

    OpenSource pre-release. Should compile and run on most Unix and
    Linux platforms including Apple OS X.

  http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/otp_doc_html_P8A-20010903-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

    HTML documentation and Unix man pages.

We will distribute pre-releases for Windows and Linux x86 soon.

We didn't plan to create commercial pre-release for other platforms
but let us know if you want to test commercial versions for VxWorks
CPU32, VxWorks PPC860, VxWorks PPC603 or Linux PPC605.

Some notes

  The graphical debugger is known to be broken.

  The HTML documentation links to 'ic', 'jinterface' and 'orber'
  are known to be broken. The Unix man pages for 'sofs' and 'xref'
  can't be reached with "erl -man <module-name>".

  The HIPE (High-Performance Erlang) native code compiler for Sparc is
  integrated into the OpenSource release. You can find more
  information about HIPE at "http://www.csd.uu.se/projects/hipe/".

  Solaris binary commercial pre-releases are packed using Solaris TAR,
  all others are packed using GNU TAR.

  All applications have the build date as the version number.

Please send problem reports to <erlang-questions>. If you
are a paying customer you can alternatively send the problem reports
to <support>,

The OTP Team

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Pekka Hedqvist
vad skiljer de kommersiella varianterna numera?

<pekka> writes:
> vad skiljer de kommersiella varianterna numera?

I assume you ask what the difference is between the commercial and
OpenSource version? There is no difference in functionality except
that the commercial version doesn't include the HIPE runtime
extension. So what you pay for is support, patches and helping us
continue to improve Erlang/OTP.

The commercial releases being binary releases makes it more easy for
us to reproduce the problems customers may have, we have full control
how the product is built.

kent

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Kent Boortz-2

Now you can also find the Windows version, the same for commercial and
OpenSource, at

  http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/otp_win32_P8A-20010903-SNAPSHOT.exe

kent

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Kent Boortz-2

************************ R8B PRE-RELEASES ************************

There are new prereleases. You find the OpenSource version and Windows
binary version at

  http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/

and the commercial releases in

  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_sunos5_P8A-20010913-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_solaris8_P8A-20010913-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

Some general notes and notes about changes since the last prereleases:

  - Most of Per Bergqvist's patch to remove warnings has been applied.

  - Use of the atom `try' will generate compiler warnings in
    preparation for add the try/catch construct in R9.

  - The problem reaching the Unix man pages for 'sofs' and 'xref' with
    "erl -man <module-name>" has been fixed.

  - You can find a comparison of the speed for some constructs
    between R7 and R8 (lower numbers are better) in

      http://www.ericsson.com/cslab/~bjorn/benchmarks2/

  - There is some new documentation, one short "Some hints that may
    get you started faster" at the first page for those new to
    Erlang/OTP and one "Efficiency Guide" in the system documentation
    section

      http://www.erlang.org/doc/p8a/doc/

The OTP Team

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Kent Boortz-2

************************ R8B PRE-RELEASES ************************

There are new prereleases. You find the OpenSource version at

  http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/

and the commercial releases in

  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_sunos5_P8A-20010924-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_solaris8_P8A-20010924-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
  http://www.erlang.se/lic_area/protected/releases/otp_linux-x86-rh7.1_P8A-20010924-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

The documentation is also updated

      http://www.erlang.org/doc/p8a/doc/

There is no updated Windows version at this time.

These prereleases contains various bug fixes,

The OTP Team

IC binary (was R8B PRE-RELEASES )

Jouni Rynö-2

In the IC 4.0.7 release notes the erlang binary special type is
mentioned.
Is it documented somewhere also in the User's Guide ?

regards
        Jouni

"Jouni Ryno" <jouni.ryno> writes:
> In the IC 4.0.7 release notes the erlang binary special type is
> mentioned.
> Is it documented somewhere also in the User's Guide ?

The documentation is not written yet but I got this description from
Babbis Xagorarakis, the main author of the IC application:

  Erlang binaries have the same C-definition as if generated sequences
  of octets, and are providing a way on sending transparent data
  between C and Erlang.

  The C-definition (ic.h) for an Erlang binary is :

  typedef struct {
    CORBA_unsigned_long _maximum;
    CORBA_unsigned_long _length;
    CORBA_octet* _buffer;
  } erlang_binary;                        /* ERLANG BINARY */

  The differences (between Erlang binary and sequence<octet>) are:

  * on the Erlang side the user is sending/receiving typical Erlang
    binaries

  * no encoding/decoding functions are generated

  * the underlying protocol is more efficient than usual sequences of
    octets

  The Erlang binary IDL type is defined in the erlang.idl, while it's
  C definition is located in the ic.h header file, both in the
  IC-4.0.7/include directory.  You will have to include the file
  erlang.idl" in order to use the erlang::binary type.

kent

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Chris Pressey
On 25 Sep 2001 15:31:58 +0200
Kent Boortz <kent> wrote:

> ************************ R8B PRE-RELEASES ************************
>
> There are new prereleases. You find the OpenSource version at
>
>   http://www.erlang.org/download/prereleases/

Hi,

I tried compiling the latest snapshot for FreeBSD 4.4, without much luck.

I have guavac for my Java compiler.  ./configure seems to detect that.
But the makefile does not honour it, it fails because 'javac' is not
found.  I tried making 'javac' a symlink to 'guavac' but then it complains
that 'lang/Object' is not found in the classpath.  Can guavac be used?

I'd disable the JInterface part of the build but neither the README file
nor ./configure --help explains how to do that.

Thanks,
Chris

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Kent Boortz-2

> I tried compiling the latest snapshot for FreeBSD 4.4, without much luck.

Sorry about that. We build and test daily using FreeBSD 4.1.1.

> I have guavac for my Java compiler.  ./configure seems to detect that.
> But the makefile does not honour it, it fails because 'javac' is not
> found.  I tried making 'javac' a symlink to 'guavac' but then it complains
> that 'lang/Object' is not found in the classpath.  Can guavac be used?

Sun JDK is "free" so it has not been high priority to test the system
using other java platforms.

> I'd disable the JInterface part of the build but neither the README file
> nor ./configure --help explains how to do that.

You can do

 % ./configure
 % touch lib/jinterface/SKIP
 % touch lib/ic/java_src/SKIP
 % touch lib/orber/java_src/SKIP
 % touch lib/mnesia_session/examples/person/java_session/SKIP
 % gmake

kent

R8B PRE-RELEASES

Chris Pressey
On 28 Sep 2001 00:19:53 +0200
Kent Boortz <kent> wrote:

> > I'd disable the JInterface part of the build but neither the README
> file
> > nor ./configure --help explains how to do that.
>
> You can do
>
>  % ./configure
>  % touch lib/jinterface/SKIP
>  % touch lib/ic/java_src/SKIP
>  % touch lib/orber/java_src/SKIP
>  % touch lib/mnesia_session/examples/person/java_session/SKIP
>  % gmake
>
> kent

Thanks!  It built fine after that, so I started writing some code to test
it, and I think I may have uncovered an error in GS.  Upon executing
gs:read(Canvas, {hit, {X,Y}}) where X and Y are over an image object, I
get:

gs error: user backend died reason
{{badmatch,[]},[{gstk_db,lookup_item,3},{gstk_canvas,fix_ids,4},
{gstk_generic,read_option,5},{gstk,read_impl,3},{gstk,doit,2},
{gstk,loop,1}]}

=ERROR REPORT==== 30-Sep-2001::03:56:58 ===
Error in process <0.26.0> with exit value: