RTMP streams number

Abel Normand
Hello everyone.
Im currently investigating specification of RTMP protocol and also trying to understand of implementation of RTMP server/client in https://github.com/KallDrexx/elixir-media-libs/tree/amaster/apps/rtmp repo. I have a question about protocol specification: its mentioned that

> protocol supports up to 65597 streams with IDs 3-65599.

Then I dont understand how this protocol scales with high-amounts of one time concurrent users streaming with one centralized server. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
--
Best regards, Nail

Re: RTMP streams number

Max Lapshin-2
This is not about erlang, but about rtmp, however I will try to help you.

RTMP is a badly multiplexed protocol that is badly designed for delivering more than one audio/video stream to client.
So you can send several audio-video streams to one flash player and it will play these videos like a mosaic.

This is in theory. In practice just forget about it, nobody is using it, you will not find any support for this in any modern flash players.
By saying "modern flash player" I mean only mobile players like Exoplayer, because in web browser flash is completely buried and you can just forget about flash player.

You take just one stream id and use the same stream id for all users.

Problem with RTMP is that it is impossible to prepare once and send the same data to many clients, you MUST prepare data for each client.