SIGUSR1 isn't writing a crash dump?

Roger Lipscombe-2
I've got a release, using OTP-21.0, which I'm starting by using a
relx-generated script (relx 3.26.0, managed by erlang.mk).

When I send it SIGUSR1, it quits, but without writing erl_crash.dump

I'm using ERL_CRASH_DUMP to set the location to somewhere writable.
Using erlang:halt("whoops") from a remote shell successfully writes
erl_crash.dump, but SIGUSR1 doesn't. The daemon simply quits.

Searching the internets got me to OTP-13425, which was apparently
fixed in OTP-19. Did it somehow become un-fixed? Or am I missing
something else?

Cheers,
Roger.

Re: SIGUSR1 isn't writing a crash dump?

Roger Lipscombe-2
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 14:44, Roger Lipscombe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a release, using OTP-21.0, which I'm starting by using a
> relx-generated script (relx 3.26.0, managed by erlang.mk).
>
> When I send it SIGUSR1, it quits, but without writing erl_crash.dump

I should point out that sending SIGUSR1 to a "normal" erl works fine.
There seems to be something about the way the release is running that
breaks it. Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to get crash dumps
out of it when I can't get a remote shell.

Re: SIGUSR1 isn't writing a crash dump?

Dave Cottlehuber-5
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, at 15:44, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> I've got a release, using OTP-21.0, which I'm starting by using a
> relx-generated script (relx 3.26.0, managed by erlang.mk).
>
> When I send it SIGUSR1, it quits, but without writing erl_crash.dump

fwiw I’ve just observed this today as well you’re not alone.

Dave