SIP protocol stack in Erlang/OTP

Ali Shirvani
Hi all,

I'm new to Erlang/OTP. According to Erlang history, the main purpose of this language is telephony systems. I found that there are lots of related modules such as ASN.1 parser and Diameter. But I didn't find any SIP module in Erlang/OTP official libraries. It's hard to imagine a programming language that developed for telecom purposes and doesn't offer  a module for the most useful telecom protocol such as SIP.

So my question is why Erlang/OTP doesn't provide an official SIP stack? I found NkSIP but it seems it doesn't maintain anymore.

Regards,
Ali

Re: SIP protocol stack in Erlang/OTP

Oliver Korpilla

Hello, Ali.

Erlang as a language was open-sourced at some point but previous to that was simply proprietary to Ericsson. Ericsson pursued Erlang for its own purposes.

They might or might not have their own implementations of various telco protocols but they simply are under no obligation to share them with the public. After all, actual telco protocols usually would be most useful to their direct competitors...

In comparison, open source developers seem less interested in the telco protocols and focus on Internet protocols. And projects like OpenBTS are written in the usual C derivatives...

All the basic tools (like asn1ct) are there to build pretty much anything telco-related robust and reliably, but one often has to create their own (my guess).

Oliver

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2019 um 15:39 Uhr
Von: "Ali Shirvani" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]