Quantcast

Send VM metrics to Grafana

12

Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Hi everyone,

Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana (http://grafana.org/).

Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal dependencies if possible.

Thank you.
/Frank

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Thanks for all the pointers guys.

I've also heard about Prometheus (https://prometheus.io/).

I like it because it's a single Go binary, very easy to deploy.

Anyone has any experience with it and Grafana?

/Frank

Hello!

There are bunch of projects for this, by example exometer, my metronome (https://github.com/juise/metronome), and so on.

Just install influxdb and grafana

чт, 9 февр. 2017 г. в 12:06, Frank Muller <[hidden email]>:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana (http://grafana.org/).

Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal dependencies if possible.

Thank you.
/Frank
Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,

Skype: askjuise
Phone: +7 914 8 820 815

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

dieswaytoofast
Can't praise Prometheus/Grafana enough. Just Do It...

cheers

p.s. Take a look at GrafanaLib - https://github.com/weaveworks/grafanalib - towards making some part of your life easier...

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Frank Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That tall bald Indian guy..
Twitter |
Blog

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Ilya Khaprov

Then you might want to try https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl

Regards,

Ilya

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.

Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their experience?

/Frank

Then you might want to try https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl

Regards,

Ilya

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Tristan Sloughter-4
Yup, we do at work and a number of others do as well I know of.

I spoke with Ilya yesterday on irc about a shared template for a Erlang metrics dashboard, which he is going to start this weekend based on his rabbitmq dashboard.

I plan to do a full writeup on grafana, prometheus and alertmanager for Erlang, more specifically Elli, in the near future -- once I get it all working, hehe.

--
  Tristan Sloughter
  "I am not a crackpot" - Abe Simpson

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, at 09:48 AM, Frank Muller wrote:
Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.

Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their experience?

/Frank

Then you might want to try https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl

Regards,

Ilya

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Hi Tristan,

Thanks for the feedbacks. Can't wait for it !!!

/Frank

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Andre Graf-2
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:

> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

Andre,

I like it it's simple and VerneMQ graphs look great.

Do you also have some docs on how set these dashboards on Grafana?

/Frank

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:
> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

Unfortunately not.

On 02/09/2017 08:49 PM, Frank Muller wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     >             Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana
>     >             (http://grafana.org/).
>     >
>     >             Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal
>     >             dependencies if possible.
>     >
>     >             Thank you.
>     >             /Frank
>     >
>     >             _______________________________________________
>     >             erlang-questions mailing list
>     >             [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >             http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>     >
>     >         --
>     >         Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,

Anthony Molinaro-4
If you want the flexibility of swapping out where you send metrics to without changing application code you might consider MonDemand (http://www.mondemand.org/).

We use it to send many millions of metrics every minute and currently write those to RRDs which are accessed by grafana via graphite.  In the past I wrote plugins to forward metrics to InfluxDB, OpenTSDB/KairosDB, Graphite, Riemann, and a few other custom backends.  I haven't looked at it but adding something like Prometheus is possible assuming a decent client library exists.

Mondemand client libraries exist in Erlang, Java, and C (SWIG compatible and we've wrapped perl and python).  The Erlang client library has been embedded in both Elixir and Erlang without issue for years.

If you have any interest in checking it out and need help with setup or questions let me know.

-Anthony

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:
> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

Thanks Anthony. For sure I'll give it a try.

/Frank

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:
> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

João Henrique Freitas

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:
> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

João Henrique Ferreira de Freitas - joaohf_at_gmail.com
Campinas-SP-Brasil

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Hi João

Thanks for sharing.

Dalmatiner was the first one I googled, and I even watched the author's video.

In my case, i just need to plot VM metrics, nothing else. Moreover, it relies on ZFS and has a couple of deps (see rebar.config).

As i've explained in the beginning, I'm an Erlang newbie and I'm looking for simplicity first.

Thanks again anyway. I'm sure some others will have more interest on Dalmatiner than I. Benchs we're very impressive.

/Frank

<[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Frank,

VerneMQ, the project I am working at these days has chosen the
Prometheus path too. However, we currently don't use the mentioned
library as most of our metrics (including vm stats) are either gauges or
counters it was very simple to expose them directly using a Cowboy HTTP
handler returning the metrics in text/plain.

The HTTP handler code is available here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics_http.erl#L47-L61

The code that sets up the metrics is here:
https://github.com/erlio/vernemq/blob/master/apps/vmq_server/src/vmq_metrics.erl

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andre

On 02/09/2017 06:48 PM, Frank Muller wrote:
> Thanks Illya, found it already this morning.
>
> Does someone already used this library? Maybe she/he can share their
> experience?
>
> /Frank
>
>     Then you might want to try
>     https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Regards,____
>
>     Ilya
>
>     __ __

Siraaj Khandkar-3
My biased preference is:

https://github.com/ibnfirnas/beam_stats

It's concern is only with sampling VM metrics and shipping them off to
arbitrary destinations (Folsomite was Graphite-only, the last time I
checked). Graphite and StatsD consumer modules are included. StatsD is
the one we use in prod now.

It's been running in prod for 1.5 years now, and even though it wasn't
originally the main motivation, my favorite feature turned-out to be the
sampling of individual processes and ETS tables, which was a life-saver
in tracking down multiple memory leaks in the legacy system I inherited.

On 2/9/17 4:06 AM, Frank Muller wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana (http://grafana.org/).
>
> Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal dependencies if
> possible.
>
> Thank you.
> /Frank

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Andreas Schultz
Hi Frank,

We use exometer to InfluxDB to Grafana.

Exometer to Influx exporter: https://github.com/travelping/exometer_influxdb

Andreas

----- On Feb 9, 2017, at 10:06 AM, Frank Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,
Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana (http://grafana.org/).

Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal dependencies if possible.

Thank you.
/Frank

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Frank Muller
Thanks for sharing Andreas.
I'll have a look to it.

/Frank

Hi Frank,

We use exometer to InfluxDB to Grafana.

Andreas

----- On Feb 9, 2017, at 10:06 AM, Frank Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,
Does anyone succeeded to push VM metrics to Grafana (http://grafana.org/).

Here I'm looking for a simple integration with minimal dependencies if possible.

Thank you.
/Frank

Re: Send VM metrics to Grafana

Jack Tang
We try to integrate the metrics to our grafana monitoring by adding infuxdb consumer. Thanks Siraaj.

BTW: Did somebody collect the crash metrics, like the count of crashed process, the restart count of the process and etc?