Still memory leak in SSL

Attila Rajmund Nohl
Hello!

I'm facing the same problem as mentioned in
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erlang-programming/xWpKjeG21Ys/mfoOkjzwBgAJ

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to Erlang 20 (or later). I did apply the
https://github.com/erlang/otp/commit/256e01ce80b3aadd63f303b9bda5722ad313220f
patch on the 19.3.6.9 sources, but I still have the problem. I also
tried to disable the session reuse (i.e. pass {reuse_sessions, false}
to ssl:listen) too, still the ETS memory usage grows in the VM to 8
GB. I need to triple check that indeed the patched version ran, but do
you have any idea what else could cause this? Of course, this only
happens at outside-organization test and I can't reproduce the leakage
locally :-(

Re: Still memory leak in SSL

Attila Rajmund Nohl
Attila Rajmund Nohl <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
aug. 14., K, 10:09):

> Hello!
>
> I'm facing the same problem as mentioned in
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erlang-programming/xWpKjeG21Ys/mfoOkjzwBgAJ
>
> Unfortunately I can't upgrade to Erlang 20 (or later). I did apply the
> https://github.com/erlang/otp/commit/256e01ce80b3aadd63f303b9bda5722ad313220f
> patch on the 19.3.6.9 sources, but I still have the problem. I also
> tried to disable the session reuse (i.e. pass {reuse_sessions, false}
> to ssl:listen) too, still the ETS memory usage grows in the VM to 8
> GB. I need to triple check that indeed the patched version ran, but do
> you have any idea what else could cause this? Of course, this only
> happens at outside-organization test and I can't reproduce the leakage
> locally :-(

Managed to reproduce the problem locally: it looks like the client
creates SSL sessions at a faster rate (around 200/sec) then the
session_validator removes them (around 150/sec). So the session cache
grows about 50 entries/sec.

Re: Still memory leak in SSL

Ingela Andin
Hi!

A possible workaround is to provide your own session_db callback module that does not create session tables. A session reuse is per connection, disabling session reuse does not take
away the sessions tables only their use. The path away form this problem (at least in the long run) I think is implementing session tickets instead of the original session reuse strategy.

Regards Ingela Erlang OTP Team - Ericsson Ab