Stop Emacs erlang shell from echoing?

empro2
comint-process-echoes is nil so erlang.el seems to decide
not to setq although:

* system-type is 'gnu/linux'
* inf...type is 'newshell'

So says F1 v ... with shell buffer focussed, but this
snippet from erlang.el seems to disagree:
```
  (if (and (not (eq system-type 'windows-nt))
           (eq inferior-erlang-shell-type 'newshell))
      (setq comint-process-echoes t))
```
The buffer was raised by compiling some of my Erlang
drivel.

I did M-x set-variable it to t and the echo went away.

I think I can stuff some
```
(add-hook 'erlang-shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq comint-process-echoes t)))
```
into my init.el, but that might simply cover up something
that is not the way it is supposed to be – and which I do
not understand.

There also might be a good reason not to have the echoes
deleted?

Michael

--

If a bank in need of money is systematically important,
then that system is not important.