Success Stories of Erlang Development

Marcos Ortiz
Regards to all the list
I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
used Erlang on its core.

I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
I don´t know more.

Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?

If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
awesome.

Thanks a lot for your time
--
 Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
 Software Engineer

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Jacob Vorreuter
We use Erlang extensively at Heroku.  Both our HTTP routing layer and our syslog-based logging infrastructure are written in Erlang:

http://heroku.com/how/architecture#routing-mesh
https://github.com/heroku/logplex

On Feb 28, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:

> Regards to all the list
> I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
> used Erlang on its core.
>
> I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
> I don´t know more.
>
> Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?
>
> If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
> awesome.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time
> --
> Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
> Software Engineer
> Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
> Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
> http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Steve Strong
I'd love to, but I'm under NDA. As soon as we get permission, I'll be talking about it :) Words that I can drop are cloud, scalable, elastic, resilient. All stuff that Erlang has excelled at.

--
Steve Strong
twitter.com/srstrong

On Monday, February 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:

> Regards to all the list
> I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
> used Erlang on its core.
>
> I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
> I don´t know more.
>
> Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?
>
> If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
> awesome.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time
> --
>  Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>  Software Engineer
>  Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
>  Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
> http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Marcos Ortiz
Thanks a lot to everyone for the quick response.
We are planning to use Erlang for several projects combined with other
technologies like Django, Ruby on Rails, Apache Hadoop, etc.

When I had everything in my hands, I will share on my blog all stuff.

Thanks again
--
 Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
 Software Engineer
 Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
 Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
 http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Miguel Morales
Hey,

Well, it's definetly not 'state-of-the-art' nor is it open source, but I
made a 2D multiplayer rpg game for Android using Erlang.
Supports realtime movement, chats, battling, items, etc.
Tech outline:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Vtq6sCdzyKs/TK8Fooqqt9I/AAAAAAAAAGY/AdcMq7zxYUA/s1600/solomon_single_server.png
Dev-blog: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/
Website: http://solrpg.com

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Marcos Ortiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regards to all the list
> I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
> used Erlang on its core.
>
> I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
> I don´t know more.
>
> Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?
>
> If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
> awesome.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time
> --
>  Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>  Software Engineer
>  Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
>  Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
>  http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Ken Ellis
Google "goldman sachs erlang".  They've used it to great profit.
moi

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

moi

Is Google Talk using Erlang? Any credit for this?

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Marcos Ortiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regards to all the list
> I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
> used Erlang on its core.
>
> I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
> I don´t know more.
>
> Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?
>
> If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
> awesome.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time
> --
>  Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>  Software Engineer
>  Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
>  Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
>  http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Marcos Ortiz
Sorry, my mistake. Google Talk is based on XMPP. Well, at least, the Wrox Professional XMPP Development with Javascript and JQuery says that.

Enviados: Lunes, 28 de Febrero 2011 21:48:15 (GMT-0500) Auto-Detected
Asunto: Re: [erlang-questions] Success Stories of Erlang Development

Hi,

Is Google Talk using Erlang? Any credit for this?

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Marcos Ortiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regards to all the list
> I´m searching several projects that have had success because they have
> used Erlang on its core.
>
> I know cases like Facebook (its chat platform), Google (Google Talk) but
> I don´t know more.
>
> Can you give some links to review the state-of-the-art today?
>
> If you can give more examples resolved (not only chat apps), It would be
> awesome.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time
> --
>  Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>  Software Engineer
>  Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
>  Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
>  http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

--
Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
 Software Engineer
 Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
 Linux User # 418229

http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Jack Moffitt
> Sorry, my mistake. Google Talk is based on XMPP. Well, at least, the Wrox Professional XMPP Development with Javascript and JQuery says that.

I believe they implemented their own XMPP stack in Java (or perhaps
C++). Erlang is, unfortunately, not one of their sanctioned languages.

My previous startups Chesspark and Collecta both used Erlang. At
Collecta, we used it for nearly everything we did (the next most used
language was JavaScript).  I believe there is a video of a talk I gave
at last year's Erlang Factory about how it was used at Collecta.

One of the engineers I managed at Collecta is now at Mochi Media,
where Erlang is also used quite heavily (and successfully).

Github uses Erlang for various things too.

You should really consider attending one of the Erlang Factories. Most
of the attendees are using Erlang in their projects for something
really cool.

jack.

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Alain O'Dea
If you are using Django you may find Zotonic compelling.  I built http://verafin.com/ using it and Verafin was very pleased with the speed of development and the fast page loads of the site itself even though it is hosted on a low-end virtual private server.  I can only imagine the site on dedicated hardware...

On 2011-02-28, at 16:09, Marcos Ortiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks a lot to everyone for the quick response.
> We are planning to use Erlang for several projects combined with other
> technologies like Django, Ruby on Rails, Apache Hadoop, etc.
>
> When I had everything in my hands, I will share on my blog all stuff.
>
> Thanks again
> --
> Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
> Software Engineer
> Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
> Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
> http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Francesco Cesarini (Erlang Solutions)
I would suggest you browse the Erlang Factory website where we have
recordings of most events. You will find companies such as Yahoo!,
E*Trade, Electronic Arts, Ericsson, Nortel (RIP), Klarna, all the way to
start-ups and established SMEs such as Basho, CouchBase, Github,
EngineYard, Heroku, Procecss-One, Erlang Solutions, Quviq, Rabbit
Technologies (Currently VM Ware) and more, all talking about their
success stories.

The recordings are currently sorted by conference. We hope to make the
index the archive in the near future, organizing the talks by themes and
topics. Right now, there are about 150 talks on the site. The URL is

http://www.erlang-factory.com/past_conferences

Hope this helps,
Francesco

On 01/03/2011 02:52, Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda wrote:

> Sorry, my mistake. Google Talk is based on XMPP. Well, at least, the Wrox Professional XMPP Development with Javascript and JQuery says that.

Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Anthony Shipman
The product described at www.symstream.com is mostly Erlang on the server
side.
--
Anthony Shipman                    Mamas don't let your babies
[hidden email]                   grow up to be outsourced.

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Chad Depue
We just released VH1 Co-Star - an Erlang-powered TV Co-viewing iPad application. Server is Erlang / CouchDB / Redis. It appears to be chat on the surface but it's more of a big data processor churning through twitter and facebook messages and curating the best set for each user...

Chad DePue
skype: cdepue
inakanetworks.com - iOS, Erlang, Ruby, and Java Consulting

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Anthony Shipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
The product described at www.symstream.com is mostly Erlang on the server
side.
--
Anthony Shipman                    Mamas don't let your babies
[hidden email]                   grow up to be outsourced.

Re: Success Stories of Erlang Development

Max Lapshin-2
I'm developing http://erlyvideo.org/ for a long time and I can say: it
would be impossible to do it on any other platform.

Erlang is cool, because your prototype code is production code: just
obey some small set of rules.