Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
Hi Erlangers,

I am looking for easy to use super stable lightweight http server that
supports https. I want to use it for facebook credit stuff integration. It
won't be intended to serve normal http traffic like pages etc. I have to be
able to configure app path, so it will be called like this:
http(s)://host:port/some/path/here/

I thought about webmachine since we use it, but it is too much for my task.
Any other suggestions with links?

Best regards,
Max
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/6fd6f6e3/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Joel Reymont-2
Did you look at built-in httpd?

---
Hardcore embedded Linux development
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont
Device drivers, firmware and debugging






On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:

> Hi Erlangers,
>
> I am looking for easy to use super stable lightweight http server that supports https. I want to use it for facebook credit stuff integration. It won't be intended to serve normal http traffic like pages etc. I have to be able to configure app path, so it will be called like this: http(s)://host:port/some/path/here/
>
> I thought about webmachine since we use it, but it is too much for my task. Any other suggestions with links?
>
> Best regards,
> Max
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> erlang-questions (mailto:erlang-questions)
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
Thank you for your feedback.
I think I will stick with: https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin

Best regards,
Max




On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Joel Reymont <joelr1> wrote:

> Did you look at built-in httpd?
>
> ---
> Hardcore embedded Linux development
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont
> Device drivers, firmware and debugging
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>
> > Hi Erlangers,
> >
> > I am looking for easy to use super stable lightweight http server that
> supports https. I want to use it for facebook credit stuff integration. It
> won't be intended to serve normal http traffic like pages etc. I have to be
> able to configure app path, so it will be called like this:
> http(s)://host:port/some/path/here/
> >
> > I thought about webmachine since we use it, but it is too much for my
> task. Any other suggestions with links?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Max
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > erlang-questions mailing list
> > erlang-questions (mailto:erlang-questions)
> > http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/5ef769dc/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Zabrane Mickael-2

On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:

> Thank you for your feedback.
> I think I will stick with: https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin

I STRONGLY suggest you cowboy:
https://github.com/extend/cowboy

A rock solid "Small, fast, modular HTTP server and socket acceptor pool"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/ca7a0fc7/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request
functions. This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to
production.

Best regards,
Max




On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3> wrote:

>
> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
> I think I will stick with: https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin
>
>
> I STRONGLY suggest you *cowboy*:
> https://github.com/extend/cowboy
>
> A rock solid "Small, fast, modular HTTP server and socket acceptor pool"
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/5b85bcf7/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Zabrane Mickael-2

On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:

> Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request functions.

Cowboy is actively maintained, that's why.
I don't think the changes will break anything.

> This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to production.

Maybe Essen (cowboy's author) can comment on that.

Regards,
Zabrane

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/286e0b2a/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
In reply to this post by Max Bourinov
And again, after deep consideration webmachine won.
Best regards,
Max




On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Max Bourinov <bourinov> wrote:

> Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request
> functions. This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to
> production.
>
> Best regards,
> Max
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3>wrote:
>
>>
>> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for your feedback.
>> I think I will stick with: https://github.com/ostinelli/misultin
>>
>>
>> I STRONGLY suggest you *cowboy*:
>> https://github.com/extend/cowboy
>>
>> A rock solid "Small, fast, modular HTTP server and socket acceptor pool"
>>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/237a6b78/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Tom Burdick
In reply to this post by Zabrane Mickael-2
I've been using cowboy for close to 3 months now for a project.
Nothing I've written has had to change. That doesn't mean there is any
guarantee things won't change (it isn't 1.x yet after all right?) but
I'd say cowboy's api is relatively stable at this point. Loic would
know best though!

If you like webmachine cowboy has the rest logic from webmachine in it
now written in plain english. See cowboy_http_rest.erl. You can pretty
much take the webmachine documentation and apply it to cowboy with a
few differences. Its also about 2-3x faster in my experience.

-Tom

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3> wrote:

>
> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>
> Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request
> functions.
>
>
> Cowboy is actively maintained, that's why.
> I don't think the changes will break anything.
>
> This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to production.
>
>
> Maybe Essen (cowboy's author) can comment on that.
>
> Regards,
> Zabrane
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> erlang-questions
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Samuel Elliott
An article I wrote a while ago (but I believe it's still current)
enumerating erlang's http library offerings. I hope that it is useful:
http://lenary.co.uk/erlang/2011/08/erlang-web-libraries/

Sam

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Tom Burdick <thomas.burdick> wrote:

> I've been using cowboy for close to 3 months now for a project.
> Nothing I've written has had to change. That doesn't mean there is any
> guarantee things won't change (it isn't 1.x yet after all right?) but
> I'd say cowboy's api is relatively stable at this point. Loic would
> know best though!
>
> If you like webmachine cowboy has the rest logic from webmachine in it
> now written in plain english. See cowboy_http_rest.erl. You can pretty
> much take the webmachine documentation and apply it to cowboy with a
> few differences. Its also about 2-3x faster in my experience.
>
> -Tom
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>>
>> Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request
>> functions.
>>
>>
>> Cowboy is actively maintained, that's why.
>> I don't think the changes will break anything.
>>
>> This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to production.
>>
>>
>> Maybe Essen (cowboy's author) can comment on that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zabrane
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> erlang-questions mailing list
>> erlang-questions
>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> erlang-questions
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions



--
Samuel Elliott
sam
http://lenary.co.uk/
+44 (0)7891 993 664


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Heinz Nikolaus Gies
In reply to this post by Tom Burdick
I can double that,
cowboy is pretty stable, the changes in the file were AFAIK only improvements to the interface that extended the functionality not change it. Also that said I was using misultin before (admitedly a pretty old version like 6 month old) and updating broke my entire code to a point where migrating was less effort.
--
Heinz N. Gies
heinz
http://licenser.net

On Dec 21, 2011, at 15:01, Tom Burdick wrote:

> I've been using cowboy for close to 3 months now for a project.
> Nothing I've written has had to change. That doesn't mean there is any
> guarantee things won't change (it isn't 1.x yet after all right?) but
> I'd say cowboy's api is relatively stable at this point. Loic would
> know best though!
>
> If you like webmachine cowboy has the rest logic from webmachine in it
> now written in plain english. See cowboy_http_rest.erl. You can pretty
> much take the webmachine documentation and apply it to cowboy with a
> few differences. Its also about 2-3x faster in my experience.
>
> -Tom
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Max Bourinov wrote:
>>
>> Yeh... Cowboy sounds good, but it has two days old commits on http request
>> functions.
>>
>>
>> Cowboy is actively maintained, that's why.
>> I don't think the changes will break anything.
>>
>> This seems not very cool to me... I really afraid to take it to production.
>>
>>
>> Maybe Essen (cowboy's author) can comment on that.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zabrane
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> erlang-questions mailing list
>> erlang-questions
>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> erlang-questions
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Roberto Ostinelli-2
hi,

misultin author here. misultin has *never* broken backwards compatibility.

can you please support such a harsh statement with an example on how
upgrading "broke your entire code"? that might be helpful.

thank you.

r.



On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Heinz N. Gies <heinz> wrote:

> I can double that,
> cowboy is pretty stable, the changes in the file were AFAIK only
> improvements to the interface that extended the functionality not change
> it. Also that said I was using misultin before (admitedly a pretty old
> version like 6 month old) and updating broke my entire code to a point
> where migrating was less effort.
> --
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/93bfd666/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
Hi Roberto,

That statement was not about misultin but about our approach in general.
Please, don't take it personaly. Actually I like API of misultin.

We will use webmachie only because we have experience with it. So, if
something will go wrong in one place something similar should be expected
everywhere and if everything is alright there are much less chances that
something will go wrong because of less code involved in the service
delivery process. This is what I believe in.

So, I promise if there are any problems with web interface in my project,
misultin will be the man and I will write about in this mail list.

Sent from my iPhone

On 21.12.2011, at 21:26, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto> wrote:

hi,

misultin author here. misultin has *never* broken backwards compatibility.

can you please support such a harsh statement with an example on how
upgrading "broke your entire code"? that might be helpful.

thank you.

r.



On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Heinz N. Gies <heinz> wrote:

> I can double that,
> cowboy is pretty stable, the changes in the file were AFAIK only
> improvements to the interface that extended the functionality not change
> it. Also that said I was using misultin before (admitedly a pretty old
> version like 6 month old) and updating broke my entire code to a point
> where migrating was less effort.
> --
>
_______________________________________________
erlang-questions mailing list
erlang-questions
http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/9ba84912/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Roberto Ostinelli-2
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Max Bourinov <bourinov> wrote:

> Hi Roberto,
>
> That statement was not about misultin but about our approach in general.
> Please, don't take it personaly. Actually I like API of misultin.
>
> We will use webmachie only because we have experience with it. So, if
> something will go wrong in one place something similar should be expected
> everywhere and if everything is alright there are much less chances that
> something will go wrong because of less code involved in the service
> delivery process. This is what I believe in.
>
> So, I promise if there are any problems with web interface in my project,
> misultin will be the man and I will write about in this mail list.
>


Hi Max,

I think you misunderstood me, I was not referring to your email. A library
choice is obviously in developer's hands, who choose one for its features,
performance, code usability, and such. I think only good things of
webmachine, mochiweb, yaws, and cowboy.

Instead, I was referring to Heinz [snippet of his email]:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Heinz N. Gies <heinz> wrote:

>  I was using misultin before (admitedly a pretty old version like 6 month
> old) and updating broke my entire code to a point where migrating was less
> effort.



I've dedicated a lot of attention in not breaking backwards compatibility
on misultin. Since AFAIK Heinz did not file any issues regarding this (I do
realize that actually contributing to an open source project is much more
time consuming than just plain stating opinions on a mailing list), I'm
just curious to have some feedback on how that could happen, should Heinz
be willing to share that information with me.

I just don't like receiving public criticism of my work in this way, as I
always hope to get constructive criticism. Otherwise, I might as well just
keep my source closed, for that matters.

r.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111221/7f0e55ca/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for easy to use super stable lightweight http server?

Max Bourinov
Hi Roberto,

I agree with you. I know what does it involves to manage open source
project. I do really appreciate with you do for community.

Best regards,
Max




On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Max Bourinov <bourinov> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roberto,
>>
>> That statement was not about misultin but about our approach in general.
>> Please, don't take it personaly. Actually I like API of misultin.
>>
>> We will use webmachie only because we have experience with it. So, if
>> something will go wrong in one place something similar should be expected
>> everywhere and if everything is alright there are much less chances that
>> something will go wrong because of less code involved in the service
>> delivery process. This is what I believe in.
>>
>> So, I promise if there are any problems with web interface in my project,
>> misultin will be the man and I will write about in this mail list.
>>
>
>
>  Hi Max,
>
> I think you misunderstood me, I was not referring to your email. A library
> choice is obviously in developer's hands, who choose one for its features,
> performance, code usability, and such. I think only good things of
> webmachine, mochiweb, yaws, and cowboy.
>
> Instead, I was referring to Heinz [snippet of his email]:
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Heinz N. Gies <heinz> wrote:
>
>>  I was using misultin before (admitedly a pretty old version like 6 month
>> old) and updating broke my entire code to a point where migrating was less
>> effort.
>
>
>
> I've dedicated a lot of attention in not breaking backwards compatibility
> on misultin. Since AFAIK Heinz did not file any issues regarding this (I do
> realize that actually contributing to an open source project is much more
> time consuming than just plain stating opinions on a mailing list), I'm
> just curious to have some feedback on how that could happen, should Heinz
> be willing to share that information with me.
>
> I just don't like receiving public criticism of my work in this way, as I
> always hope to get constructive criticism. Otherwise, I might as well just
> keep my source closed, for that matters.
>
> r.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20111222/eecc82d8/attachment.html>