Test system for automatic testing of an application

Test system for automatic testing of an application

dieter
Hi all,

I am thinking about creating a test environment for automatically
testing an application, which is written in C++ and JavaScript.

The application produces several files (logfiles and binary archives)
and acts as a network server (GUI via HTTP, some other socket interfaces).

The test harness will have to

*  start the application (with parameters)
*  check that it successfully starts (checking the logfile, listening ports)
*  run a test suite for all interfaces and scenarios
*  shutdown the application

I already have an erlang application which can act as a protocol
simulator for the socket interfaces.

The test harness can run on the same node as the application, so the
test harness can start it via os:cmd() or a port.

I am considering to use Common Test for the job.

Has anybody used Common Test to verify the correctness of a non-Erlang
application?

Would it be a good choice? So far, I think that I can map all my test
scenarios to test cases, groups and suites.

Ciao,

Dieter

Re: Test system for automatic testing of an application

Roger Lipscombe-2
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 17:43, Dieter Schön <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anybody used Common Test to verify the correctness of a non-Erlang
> application?

Sort of. We use Common Test to run tests against an application, which
happens to be written in Erlang, but the test suites don't know or
care about that.

Re: Test system for automatic testing of an application

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 7:02 PM Roger Lipscombe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sort of. We use Common Test to run tests against an application, which
happens to be written in Erlang, but the test suites don't know or
care about that.

Back in the day, when I wrote BitTorrent clients for fun, I used CT to handle other clients and trackers. Basically set up a network and test your client against the other clients, while maintaining them through CT. The reason this is efficient is because you often want concurrent testing, and the framework allows one to spawn processes to help with that. In fact, using CT for this is one of the main points of it I think. Especially because it has tooling for direct communication with a SUT over ssh/ftp, ...