Time for OTP to be Renamed?

jocke
The gen_server takes away all the fun.

Den 16 feb 2014 09:15 skrev Vance Shipley <vances>:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 07:15:54PM +0100, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> }? OTP was designed for teams of programmers, so that they would all write
> }? their code the same way and use common tools for code loading, error
> }? logging, supervision and so on.
>
> And this is the power of the environment.? At the end of the day this is
> the stuff that put it behind important business applications.? This is
> how it got funded in Ericsson and how it got to be behind infrastructure
> at well known companies.? This is why we're talking about, and using,
> Erlang today.? Otherwise it would be cool and interesting in the same
> way that Limbo and Plan 9 were but nobody would be using it at work.
>
> }? There is absolutely nothing stopping you from supervising and restarting
> }? programs using spawn_link and trapping exits.
>
> Your boss may be stopping you.? I certainly am in my organization.
>
> }? - beginners should start with spawn and spawn_link then learn to trap
> }? exits and then learn that they can replace a lot of simple boilerplate
> }? code with the OTP equivalents.
>
> It is interesting that we start teaching Erlang by introducing send and
> receive and then as soon as we start writing applications we tell them
> never to do that again.? It's not until you have mastered OTP that you
> can recognize where you can handle things better yourself.? Most people
> never get there.? Now mind you I'm not talking about scripts but actual
> applications which should run whenever the server is running.? For that
> you want OTP and if you are putting a 'receive' statement in your program
> you are (probably) not writing OTP compliant code.
>
> --
>
> Changing the name is not going to happen and makes no sense anyway.
> It's a simple message to say that the problems of the telephone industry
> are the same ones the software industry as a whole is facing now with as
> we consume cloud services and computers incorporate more and more cores.
>
> You could practically add another name and shift the focus to that.? I
> don't see this as necessary but then I'm old school.
>
> --
> -Vance

Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Vance Shipley-2
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:40:52AM +0100, Joacim Greben? wrote:
}  The gen_server takes away all the fun.

It does, true.  If you want to write pure Erlang and still play
by the (OTP) rules you can use plain_fsm(*) or sys_fsm(+) or
write it yourself.  Not using OTP behaviours is just harder to
get right and much less tested.

(+) http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2004-February/011405.html
(*) http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2005-April/015226.html

--