Tool for performace evaluation

Muhammad Yousaf
Hi,

Is there any tools to evaluate the performance of a module in Erlang that can show graphical interface for time elapse, memory usage, performance benchmarks etc ??

or is there any alternative to do this in Erlang

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Muhammad Yousaf

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

Gustav Simonsson-2

etop:start().

gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html

Regards,
Gustav Simonsson

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

Ahmed Omar
Your question sounds too vague :) but quick hints :
1) Monitoring tools :
etop
ntop

2) Profiling guide

3) Concurrency profiling tool
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/percept/percept_ug.html

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

etop:start().

gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html

Regards,
Gustav Simonsson

Is there any tools to evaluate the performance of a module in Erlang that can show graphical interface for time elapse, memory usage, performance benchmarks etc ??

or is there any alternative to do this in Erlang

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Muhammad Yousaf

Best Regards,
- Ahmed Omar
Follow me on twitter

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

Andy W. Song
I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
1> etop:start().
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
    while executing
"load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk 8.3"
    (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)

How can I use text mode?

Thanks
Andy

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

etop:start().

gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html

Regards,
Gustav Simonsson

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

mazenharake
Try entop instead.

https://github.com/mazenharake/entop

/M

On 31 May 2011 08:32, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

That works, thanks. Can you explain a little bit what those columns means such as hsize?

Regards
Andy

2011/5/31 Mazen Harake <[hidden email]>
Try entop instead.

https://github.com/mazenharake/entop

/M

On 31 May 2011 08:32, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

Message Queue, Heap size, Stack size and Heap Total

On 31 May 2011 09:20, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That works, thanks. Can you explain a little bit what those columns means
> such as hsize?
> Regards
> Andy
> 2011/5/31 Mazen Harake <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Try entop instead.
>>
>> https://github.com/mazenharake/entop
>>
>> /M
>>
>> On 31 May 2011 08:32, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it
>> > get:
>> > 1> etop:start().
>> > Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
>> > environment variable
>> > Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
>> > variable
>> >     while executing
>> > "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>> >     ("package ifneeded" script)
>> >     invoked from within
>> > "package require Tk 8.3"
>> >     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
>> > How can I use text mode?
>> > Thanks
>> > Andy

Is it possible to track processes' CPU usage?

Thanks
Andy

2011/5/31 Mazen Harake <[hidden email]>
Message Queue, Heap size, Stack size and Heap Total

On 31 May 2011 09:20, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That works, thanks. Can you explain a little bit what those columns means
> such as hsize?
> Regards
> Andy
> 2011/5/31 Mazen Harake <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Try entop instead.
>>
>> https://github.com/mazenharake/entop
>>
>> /M
>>
>> On 31 May 2011 08:32, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it
>> > get:
>> > 1> etop:start().
>> > Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
>> > environment variable
>> > Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
>> > variable
>> >     while executing
>> > "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>> >     ("package ifneeded" script)
>> >     invoked from within
>> > "package require Tk 8.3"
>> >     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
>> > How can I use text mode?
>> > Thanks
>> > Andy

Gleb Peregud

Try https://github.com/massemanet/eper

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

mazenharake
Not per process since they aren't actual OS processes. You should look
at "Reductions" because that tells you how "active" a process is. You
can also look at "RpI" which means "Reductions per Interval" which
means how active the node has been since the tool last polled it.

In terms of actual process usage of the virtual machine you can simply
use top but it is very hard to determine how much CPU an individual
process uses.

/M

On 31 May 2011 09:42, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to track processes' CPU usage?
> Thanks
> Andy
>
> 2011/5/31 Mazen Harake <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Message Queue, Heap size, Stack size and Heap Total
>>
>> On 31 May 2011 09:20, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > That works, thanks. Can you explain a little bit what those columns
>> > means
>> > such as hsize?
>> > Regards
>> > Andy

Björn-Egil Dahlberg

It all depends on how detailed you want to your information to be.
Graphical tools like etop is great to get a feel for how processes are
doing in your system but does not get more detailed than that.

Eprof: Regarding the profiling guide, it states that *eprof* has
"significant slowdown", this is *untrue* and should be revised. *note to
self* It has some slowdown, (pulling some data from memory), I would say
2 - 6 times. Eprof also has very low impact on multiple schedulers.

Eprof does not produce a callgraph but it will tell you how much time
you spend in specific functions which is very helpful.

Percept: This application would need some work to be truly useful but it
is great to see how saturated your system is.

- Getting closer to the metal

LCNT: If you have multiprocess scalability problems you can use LCNT
(Lock counter) which is a special build of the beam. It is relatively
easy to use but you need some basic understanding of thread/lock
mechanics and the erlang runtime for the information to be really useful
for you. A *great* thing about it LCNT is that process message
bottlenecks will be clearly visible, as will any other lock problem.
Some problems will be false positives though.

GPROF: Also a special build of the beam. This is what I use to get the
feel of a specific performance problem i erts or to benchmark a new
feature in erts that I've been working on. Gprof will give a callgraph
on the erts internals but all erlang code time will obviously wend up in
the process_main function in beam_emu. This feature is mostly helpful
for erts development but it also might point to some poor programming
practices in your code. Using some scripts you can easily get some nice
graphs that you with an overview and that you can send to other people:
gprof  $binary $gmon | gprof2dot.py | dot -Tpng -o $png

Regards,
Björn-Egil
Erlang/OTP

On 2011-05-23 14:49, Ahmed Omar wrote:
> Your question sounds too vague :) but quick hints :
> 1) Monitoring tools :
> etop
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
> ntop
> https://github.com/esl/entop
>
> 2) Profiling guide
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/profiling.html

> 3) Concurrency profiling tool
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/percept/percept_ug.html

>> From: "Muhammad Yousaf"<[hidden email]>
>> Is there any tools to evaluate the performance of a module in Erlang that
>> can show graphical interface for time elapse, memory usage, performance
>> benchmarks etc ??

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

Hynek Vychodil-2
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try GoodData now for free: www.gooddata.com

Re: Tool for performace evaluation

Ahmed Omar
As a note, you can start etop in text mode
etop:start([{output, text}]).

2011/6/2 Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]>
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

Great. Thanks.

2011/6/2 Ahmed Omar <[hidden email]>
As a note, you can start etop in text mode
etop:start([{output, text}]).

2011/6/2 Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]>
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

I am getting the follow error while running percept:profile

(client@127.0.0.1)3>  percept:profile("test.dat", {sorter, go, [5, 2000, 15]}, [procs]).
Starting profiling.
ok

(client@127.0.0.1)4>  percept:analyze("test.dat").
Parsing: "test.dat"
Consolidating...
Parsed 443 entries in 0.015602 s.
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  length/1
        called as length({'EXIT',<0.56.0>,normal})
     in call from percept:parse_and_insert_loop/5

and i am running Erlang R14B any idea how can i fix it and make it run?

Thanks

Regards,

Muhammad Yousaf

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:27:19 +0800
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]

Great. Thanks.

2011/6/2 Ahmed Omar <[hidden email]>
As a note, you can start etop in text mode
etop:start([{output, text}]).

2011/6/2 Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]>
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

.does your sorter:go involves creating a link? (using start_link, spawn_link, ... etc)
if yes, I believe this might be a bug in percept, as it doesn't tag the result messages and doesn't use a selective receive
as a workaround, try
spawn(percept, analyze, ["test.dat"]).
2011/6/5 Muhammad Yousaf <[hidden email]>
Hi ,

I am getting the follow error while running percept:profile

([hidden email])3>  percept:profile("test.dat", {sorter, go, [5, 2000, 15]}, [procs]).
Starting profiling.
ok

([hidden email])4>  percept:analyze("test.dat").

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:27:19 +0800
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]

Great. Thanks.

2011/6/2 Ahmed Omar <[hidden email]>
As a note, you can start etop in text mode
etop:start([{output, text}]).

2011/6/2 Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]>
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

My sorter:go have spawn only i.e
go(I,N,M) ->
spawn(?MODULE, main, [I,N,M,self()]),
receive done -> ok end.
main(I,N,M,Parent) ->
Pids = lists:foldl(
fun(_,Ps) ->
[ spawn(?MODULE,loop, []) | Ps]

anyway by doing spawn(percept, analyze, ["test.dat"]).

it works thanks

Regards,

Muhammad Yousaf

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:27:19 +0800
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]

Great. Thanks.

2011/6/2 Ahmed Omar <[hidden email]>
As a note, you can start etop in text mode
etop:start([{output, text}]).

2011/6/2 Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]>
Try use -X option to your ssh command. Don't forget that X11 protocol
forwarding is also permitted in sshd configuration (X11Forwarding
option in sshd_config).

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andy W. Song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Erlang on a remote machine through SSH. When I fire up etop it get:
> 1> etop:start().
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
> Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment
> variable
>     while executing
> "load /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0 Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.3"
>     (file "/usr/lib/erlang/lib/gs-1.5.12/priv/gstk.tcl" line 7)
> How can I use text mode?
> Thanks
> Andy
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gustav Simonsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> etop:start().
>>
>> gives information similar to 'top' in UNIX:
>> http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/etop.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gustav Simonsson

I committed a fix for messages handling in percept_db, it might be useful for your case
https://github.com/spawnthink/otp/commit/5ba7bf2acdf59cf36dd626cc16c8de72b59b3946

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:27:19 +0800
To: [hidden email]