VM locking up 18.0-rc2

Rory Byrne-3
Hello,

You can get example code showing this bug from:

    git clone https://gist.github.com/0b05a793f308044359ab.git

Run the code as follows:

    1> acceptor_pool:start_link().

Then connect to port 7777 on the local machine using any TCP client. For
example, using curl:

    curl http://localhost:7777/

After the first connection, the VM will lock up and look like this:

    1> acceptor_pool:start_link().
    New acceptor started: <0.37.0>
    {ok,<0.36.0>}
    HERE 1
    HERE 2
    New acceptor started: <0.40.0>
    2>

I've tested this using the current master HEAD 9a81b28 (Wed May 13) on
Linux on single and multi-processor machines (32 bit and 64 bit) and on
FreeBSD.

Notes:

 1. The code works fine using the current maint branch (efbfe96): you can
    connect multiple times in succession with no problems.

 2. The code works fine if you remove the following print statement from
    the bottom of acceptor_pool.erl:

        io:format("New acceptor started: ~p~n", [Pid]),

 3. The code works fine if you change the following code in acceptor.erl:

        Self = self(),
        spawn(fun() -> acceptor_pool:create(AcceptorPool, Self) end),

    to:

        ok = acceptor_pool:create(AcceptorPool, self()),

Let me know if you need anything further.

Regards,

Rory

Re: VM locking up 18.0-rc2

Rickard Green-2
> After the first connection, the VM will lock up and look like this:
>
>     1> acceptor_pool:start_link().
>     New acceptor started: <0.37.0>
>     {ok,<0.36.0>}
>     HERE 1
>     HERE 2
>     New acceptor started: <0.40.0>
>     2>

Thanks for the bug report! A fix for this will soon show up in the
master branch.

Regards,
Rickard
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Re: VM locking up 18.0-rc2

Rickard Green-2
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Rickard Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> After the first connection, the VM will lock up and look like this:
>>
>>     1> acceptor_pool:start_link().
>>     New acceptor started: <0.37.0>
>>     {ok,<0.36.0>}
>>     HERE 1
>>     HERE 2
>>     New acceptor started: <0.40.0>
>>     2>
>>

> Thanks for the bug report! A fix for this will soon show up in the
> master branch.
>
> Regards,
> Rickard
> --
> Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

There is now a fix (4619791) for this in the master branch.

Regards,
Rickard

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 09:34:30AM +0200, Rickard Green wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Rickard Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the bug report! A fix for this will soon show up in the
> > master branch.
>
> There is now a fix (4619791) for this in the master branch.

Great stuff! Everything works fine now. Thank you.

Rory