VisualAggression (Re: Some claims about Erlang (was Re: Erlang use in Italy))

VisualAggression (Re: Some claims about Erlang (was Re: Erlang use in Italy))

Dr.Dr.Ruediger M.Flaig
The problem with students is that they WANT to be commodity building blocks. Nowadays people don't go to university because they are seeking knowledge, but because they want to be taught which buttons to press. (Usually accompanied by calling themselves "pragmatic".) I have been teaching molecular biology and bioinformatics for years and have just given it up, just because of this attitude. Java and VisualBashit are poorly designed but adorned with lots of trashy baubles -- imagine a Citroen 2CV with huge spoilers, holographic rallye stripes and a horn playing Beethoven's 5th symphony --, and that is what attracts people. Logic? Structure? Oh Lord! "We are pragmatic, we want to work with our hands, theory is not for us." People have even told me that they "could not understand" recursion and lambda, so it had to be no good.

So the gist of this is: If your audience are dummies, because they *want to be* dummies, you have to provide them with "XXX for dummies". Maybe we should seriously consider producing something like VisualErlang, or at least an EBuilder, as an addition to the existing Erlang "ecosystem"? I do not have any clear ideas how this could work, but it might be worthwhile.

-- Ruediger Marcus

--
Chevalier Dr Dr Ruediger Marcus Flaig
   Institute for Immunology

"Drain you of your sanity,
Face the Thing That Should Not Be."

--
Diese E-Mail wurde mit http://www.mail-inspector.de verschickt
Mail Inspector ist ein kostenloser Service von http://www.is-fun.net

VisualAggression (Re: Some claims about Erlang

Hal Snyder-2
flaig writes:

> The problem with students is that they WANT to be commodity building
> blocks. Nowadays people don't go to university because they are
> seeking knowledge, but because they want to be taught which buttons
> to press. (Usually accompanied by calling themselves "pragmatic".) I
> have been teaching molecular biology and bioinformatics for years
> and have just given it up, just because of this attitude. Java and
> VisualBashit are poorly designed but adorned with lots of trashy
> baubles -- imagine a Citroen 2CV with huge spoilers, holographic
> rallye stripes and a horn playing Beethoven's 5th symphony --, and
> that is what attracts people. Logic? Structure? Oh Lord! "We are
> pragmatic, we want to work with our hands, theory is not for us."
> People have even told me that they "could not understand" recursion
> and lambda, so it had to be no good.

> So the gist of this is: If your audience are dummies, because they
> *want to be* dummies, you have to provide them with "XXX for
> dummies". Maybe we should seriously consider producing something
> like VisualErlang, or at least an EBuilder, as an addition to the
> existing Erlang "ecosystem"? I do not have any clear ideas how this
> could work, but it might be worthwhile.
>
> -- Ruediger Marcus

Interesting points. I taught computer science for over 8 years in
university. Every year, there were a few brilliant, dedicated students
who loved exploring new ideas, a large number of earnest toilers, and
a fair number of pragmatist/philistines who became agitated and even
angry when challenged.

Erlang is effective for me because the language is so close to how I
write requirements. A certain amount of analysis and judgment are
required for competent software design, and IMO no builder tool can
substitute.