Web Framework to choose

Johann Höchtl
Hello!

I am still a beginner at Erlang (but not FP in general). To get myself
startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated data
extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an Erlang
web framework.

I am uncertain which framework to choose. Those have come into the
shortlist:

* Nitrogen
* Erlang-Web
* Zotonic

The last one looks promising, but I am uncertain if Zotonic is not to
rigid in the sense of enforcing a certain style and I do not kow if it
is 'dynamic' enough. For example other CMS systems I am aware of make it
hard to add dynamic content beside that is provided.

Regrads,

   Johann

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Web Framework to choose

Gleb Peregud
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 09:33, Johann Höchtl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To get myself
> startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated data
> extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an Erlang  web
> framework.

I haven't tried Erlang Web and Zotonic, but I've used Nitrogen for
some quite dynamic site and it was awesome. It's seamless support for
AJAX makes it a breeze to create dynamic web sites.

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Web Framework to choose

Roberto Aloi-2
In Erlang Web it's quite easy to do what you need. We developed a
twitter library to send and show tweets in a snap. We used an existing
o_auth library for the authentication.
On the other hand, zotonic will provide you all the login/search/etc
features for free (that you probably need).

Regards,

Roberto Aloi
Erlang Training and Consulting Ltd.
http://erlang-consulting.com

On 1 Dec 2009, at 08:33, Johann Höchtl <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am still a beginner at Erlang (but not FP in general). To get
> myself startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated
> data extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an
> Erlang  web framework.
>
> I am uncertain which framework to choose. Those have come into the
> shortlist:
>
> * Nitrogen
> * Erlang-Web
> * Zotonic
>
> The last one looks promising, but I am uncertain if Zotonic is not
> to rigid in the sense of enforcing a certain style and I do not kow
> if it is 'dynamic' enough. For example other CMS systems I am aware
> of make it hard to add dynamic content beside that is provided.
>
> Regrads,
>
>  Johann

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Web Framework to choose

Marc Worrell
Hello Johann,

As mentioned, the nice thing with Zotonic is that you get a complete CMS including an editorial interface.

It is also easy to extend, you can add any field to a resource (page), add categories or define completely separate data models.
Just take a look how the admin is extended by mod_admin_person or how mod_mailinglist adds its own data model for storing mailing list recipients.

Modules are implemented as gen_servers, which makes it straight forward to add polling, long lasting connections or other server functionality.

Best is to check the tip of the repository.  The 0.1.0 download is already old :-)

Kind regards,

Marc Worrell.

> From: Johann Höchtl <[hidden email]>
> Date: 1 december 2009 09:33:13 GMT+01:00
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Web Framework to choose
>

> Hello!
>
> I am still a beginner at Erlang (but not FP in general). To get myself startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated data extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an Erlang  web framework.
>
> I am uncertain which framework to choose. Those have come into the shortlist:
>
> * Nitrogen
> * Erlang-Web
> * Zotonic
>
> The last one looks promising, but I am uncertain if Zotonic is not to rigid in the sense of enforcing a certain style and I do not kow if it is 'dynamic' enough. For example other CMS systems I am aware of make it hard to add dynamic content beside that is provided.
>
> Regrads,
>
>  Johann

Re: Re: Web Framework to choose

Max Lapshin-2
Zotonic is a very great work, but it would be much better, if it will
migrate from CMS to
CMS, written on top of framework.

It is absolutely impossible to make CMS, that will fit all need
(especially in such projects, that require erlang),
but it is possible to copy best solutions from systems like Ruby on
Rails and make Zotonic much wider used.

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Re: Web Framework to choose

Marc Worrell
I am not entirely sure what you mean by "CMS written on top of framework" and how feasible such an approach is in the long run. Though we are open to suggestions.

We made Zotonic to make projects for customers. While building it we had an eye on a couple of CMS systems, notably anyMeta, Drupal and WordPress.  anyMeta had a great influence, as we are rather actively involved in its development (in fact we made it).

We used Erlang to solve major problems we encountered in the PHP systems most people are using.

Zotonic's current direction is to add real time sharing of information, using XMPP PubSub and other protocols. Of course besides adding more functionalities needed for a CMS.

Some other people are also checking to see if it can be made distributed, and if it is possible to use a key value store.

We like to have a good out of the box experience, so that designers are also happy to work with Zotonic.

Kind Regards,

Marc Worrell

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Marc Worrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not entirely sure what you mean by "CMS written on top of framework" and how feasible such an approach is in the long run. Though we are open to suggestions.

Marc, I will prepare more exact suggestions to you about structure of Zotonic.

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Web Framework to choose

Garrett Smith-5
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Johann Höchtl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am still a beginner at Erlang (but not FP in general). To get myself
> startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated data
> extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an Erlang  web
> framework.

It's not a framework but mochiweb gets you an HTTP server and some
nice util functions for handling requests.

If you're mainly interested in solving a web related problem in
Erlang, you might consider side stepping a framework for now.

Garrett

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Web Framework to choose

Bob Ippolito
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Garrett Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Johann Höchtl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am still a beginner at Erlang (but not FP in general). To get myself
>> startet I plan to toy a bit around with the idea of automated data
>> extraction from twitter and display statistics, etc. using an Erlang  web
>> framework.
>
> It's not a framework but mochiweb gets you an HTTP server and some
> nice util functions for handling requests.
>
> If you're mainly interested in solving a web related problem in
> Erlang, you might consider side stepping a framework for now.

If you want a little more framework than mochiweb provides you should
also consider using webmachine.

-bob

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Re: Web Framework to choose

Johann Höchtl
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I will go with nitrogen, as my site
will be very interactive, and nitrogen with comet support seems to
support this very well.

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Re: Web Framework to choose

Johann Höchtl
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I will go with nitrogen, as my site
will be very interactive, and nitrogen with comet support seems to
support this very well.

Thank you for the help,