Web services

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)

How about rnc? - I have a relax NG verifyer (in Erlang)
which I might be persuaded to part with.

/Joe

Web services

Mikael Karlsson
Interesting!

It seems also that some discovered that sending those XML messages on the line
take some bandwidth and processing power for binding (oops what a surprise)
so there is a proposal for "Fast Web Services" which in practice seems to be
an ASN.1 representation of XML Schema.
Since Erlang has an ASN1 encoder/decoder this might be something to look
closer at.
Refs:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/fastWS/
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/fws.htm
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/tutorial-fws.htm

/Mikael

m?ndag 07 november 2005 10:33 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB):

> How about rnc? - I have a relax NG verifyer (in Erlang)
> which I might be persuaded to part with.
>
> /Joe

Web services

Tony Rogvall-3

7 nov 2005 kl. 23.03 skrev Mikael Karlsson:

> Interesting!
>
> It seems also that some discovered that sending those XML messages
> on the line
> take some bandwidth and processing power for binding (oops what a
> surprise)
> so there is a proposal for "Fast Web Services" which in practice
> seems to be
> an ASN.1 representation of XML Schema.
> Since Erlang has an ASN1 encoder/decoder this might be something to
> look
> closer at.

If they do it the XML way (with out reading) they MUST surely embed
the XML string
into the request. The addition of the isWBXML flag is my own
invention to make the
size of the PDU a LOT smaller...

Request ::= SEQUENCE
{
        isWBXML BOOLEAN,
        data OCTET STRING -- Put you XML or WBXML request data here
}

Response ::= SEQUENCE
{
        isWBXML BOOLEAN,
        data OCTET STRING -- Put you XML or WBXML response here
}

This is very similar to how Nokia is using Corba/Java RMI in the NPS
(Nokia Profile Server)

        String resolve (String request, String sessionID)

The request is of course XML and the response is... XML

/Tony

> Refs:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/fastWS/
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/fws.htm
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/tutorial-fws.htm
>
> /Mikael
>
> m?ndag 07 november 2005 10:33 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB):
>> How about rnc? - I have a relax NG verifyer (in Erlang)
>> which I might be persuaded to part with.
>>
>> /Joe

Web services

bryan rasmussen-2
If the idea is to provide better support for SOAP, hence the need for
WSDL, XML Schema, then I don't know about this, given that my
understanding of it in the WebServices community was that it had
already been passed by, defeated. The current debate is SOAP and Rest.

There certainly seems to be a good deal of argument as to whether SOAP
will end up winning in the long run.

Perhaps something to look at instead is EBMS.  Ebms extends SOAP, but
because it has a particular semantics to the message it does not need
support for XML Schema, WSDL to use.
spec: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/documents/ebMS_v2_0.pdf

EBMS does not need to be implemented with the other ebxml
specifications, but if it is synergistic benefits accrue. I am
thinking in the context of JEAI project etc. that a full EBXML
implementation could be a big selling point. EBXML seems to be moving
pretty well in the far east currently.

On 11/7/05, Mikael Karlsson <mikael.karlsson> wrote:

> Interesting!
>
> It seems also that some discovered that sending those XML messages on the line
> take some bandwidth and processing power for binding (oops what a surprise)
> so there is a proposal for "Fast Web Services" which in practice seems to be
> an ASN.1 representation of XML Schema.
> Since Erlang has an ASN1 encoder/decoder this might be something to look
> closer at.
> Refs:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/fastWS/
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/fws.htm
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/tutorial-fws.htm
>
> /Mikael
>
> m?ndag 07 november 2005 10:33 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB):
> > How about rnc? - I have a relax NG verifyer (in Erlang)
> > which I might be persuaded to part with.
> >
> > /Joe

Web services

Mickael Remond-2
* bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.bryan> [2005-11-08 10:00:33 +0100]:

> EBMS does not need to be implemented with the other ebxml
> specifications, but if it is synergistic benefits accrue. I am
> thinking in the context of JEAI project etc. that a full EBXML
> implementation could be a big selling point. EBXML seems to be moving
> pretty well in the far east currently.

Yes it is. We already have contacts that have asked for an EbXML
support. We are, for now thinking on how to achieve this without having
to spend a tremendous effort in reimplementing the whole standard stack
however.

--
Micka?l R?mond

Web services

Mikael Karlsson
No,
they map W3C XML Schema (XSD) to ASN.1 schema.
/Mikael

Example from the first reference page
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/fastWS/

<xsd:complexType name="ComplexTypeSimple">
  <xsd:sequence>
    <xsd:element name="varBoolean" type="xsd:boolean"/>
    <xsd:element name="varInt" type="xsd:integer"/>
    <xsd:element name="varString" type="xsd:string"/>
  </xsd:sequence>
</xsd:complexType>
<xsd:element name="paramRefComplexTypeSimple"
    type="xsd1:ComplexTypeSimple"/>

becomes:

ComplexTypeSimple ::= SEQUENCE {
  varBoolean BOOLEAN,
  varInt INTEGER,
  varString UTF8String
}

ParamRefComplexTypeSimple ::= ComplexTypeSimple

m?ndag 07 november 2005 23:26 skrev Tony Rogvall:

> 7 nov 2005 kl. 23.03 skrev Mikael Karlsson:
> > Interesting!
> >
> > It seems also that some discovered that sending those XML messages
> > on the line
> > take some bandwidth and processing power for binding (oops what a
> > surprise)
> > so there is a proposal for "Fast Web Services" which in practice
> > seems to be
> > an ASN.1 representation of XML Schema.
> > Since Erlang has an ASN1 encoder/decoder this might be something to
> > look
> > closer at.
>
> If they do it the XML way (with out reading) they MUST surely embed
> the XML string
> into the request. The addition of the isWBXML flag is my own
> invention to make the
> size of the PDU a LOT smaller...
>
> Request ::= SEQUENCE
> {
> isWBXML BOOLEAN,
> data OCTET STRING -- Put you XML or WBXML request data here
> }
>
> Response ::= SEQUENCE
> {
> isWBXML BOOLEAN,
> data OCTET STRING -- Put you XML or WBXML response here
> }
>
> This is very similar to how Nokia is using Corba/Java RMI in the NPS
> (Nokia Profile Server)
>
> String resolve (String request, String sessionID)
>
> The request is of course XML and the response is... XML
>
> /Tony
>
> > Refs:
> > http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/fastWS/
> > http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/fws.htm
> > http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/tutorial-fws.htm
> >
> > /Mikael
> >
> > m?ndag 07 november 2005 10:33 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB):
> >> How about rnc? - I have a relax NG verifyer (in Erlang)
> >> which I might be persuaded to part with.
> >>
> >> /Joe

Web services

Mickael Remond-2
* Mikael Karlsson <mikael.karlsson> [2005-11-08 19:41:23 +0100]:

> No,
> they map W3C XML Schema (XSD) to ASN.1 schema.

Yes. And the selling point is that they invented an "XML accelerator".
Nice, isn't it ?

--
Micka?l R?mond