Who uses Erlang for research?

Matthias Lang
Hi,

I wanted to update FAQ 1.6: "Who uses Erlang for research (and
teaching)?".

A decade or two ago, my uninvolved view of _research_ was "Uppsala,
Chalmers, Kent and Spain, and they all know each other, and then there
are some smaller efforts elsewhere."

Looking at the ICFP 2019, the actual conference has nothing involving
Erlang, but the Erlang workshop has both familiar names and new
faces. Being a workshop, it's about applications, so maybe that's what
a settled-down Erlang is about now.

Thoughts?

Is there something major I've missed?

(The 'teaching' part of the FAQ is unfortunate; it turned into an
ad-hoc list of universities where someone mailed me. I intend to chop
the list because it's such a small, arbitrary selection. I expect
Erlang to pop up quite frequently in courses about distributed/concurrent
systems, so just mentioning a few seems misleading.)

Matthias

Re: Who uses Erlang for research?

Adam Lindberg-7
Hi Matthias,

Erlang has been extensively used in the LightKone EU project, and I know also several of the project partners  use it in other projects as well. More information here: https://www.lightkone.eu

I can tell for a fact that we at Stritzinger GmbH (https://stritzinger.com) use it for both development and research.

Cheers,
Adam

> On 2. Sep 2019, at 12:10, Matthias Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to update FAQ 1.6: "Who uses Erlang for research (and
> teaching)?".
>
> A decade or two ago, my uninvolved view of _research_ was "Uppsala,
> Chalmers, Kent and Spain, and they all know each other, and then there
> are some smaller efforts elsewhere."
>
> Looking at the ICFP 2019, the actual conference has nothing involving
> Erlang, but the Erlang workshop has both familiar names and new
> faces. Being a workshop, it's about applications, so maybe that's what
> a settled-down Erlang is about now.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Is there something major I've missed?
>
> (The 'teaching' part of the FAQ is unfortunate; it turned into an
> ad-hoc list of universities where someone mailed me. I intend to chop
> the list because it's such a small, arbitrary selection. I expect
> Erlang to pop up quite frequently in courses about distributed/concurrent
> systems, so just mentioning a few seems misleading.)
>
> Matthias

Re: Who uses Erlang for research?

Duncan Paul Attard
Hi Matthias,

At the University of Malta we teach Erlang in concurrent programming as part of a paradigms course.

We also use Erlang to implement runtime monitors: this is a manifestation of a body of theoretical work on runtime verification that can be found at the project website TheoFoMon, a project hosted by Reykjav√≠k University in conjunction with the University of Malta. In particular, you might want to check out this book chapter, which explains in detail said tool.

Best regards,

Duncan