Quantcast

Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over?

Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over? – Why does Erlang crashes, when physical memory is over? Error is: beam.smp(5454,0xb01aa000) malloc: *** mmap(size=41943040) failed (error cod...
From within Erlang, I don't believe so. From outside, maybe, with the right debugger. In general, I believe the heartbeat functionality (i...
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@...> wrote: > From within Erlang, I don't believe so. And what are the proble...
Erlang needs to allocate memory in any number of situations. For example, assume that Erlang tried to tell your code. Should it generate a...
I understand your arguments. Yet, It would be great to have instrument, that tells supervisor, that child is eating too much memory. Look, if we...
Look, I have a program, that reads MPEG TS stream from network. There is some bug in my code and my ts_lander crashes beam. How is it possible t...
Why don't you create a process, which regularly checks on the memory usage of those processes, and kills them when they begin to eat up too much ...
Yes, there are techniques to write watchdogs, but my question was: is it possible to prevent Erlang VM from crash? ___________________________...
No. There is a major difference between handling OOM in an OS and in the BEAM. In an OS it usually at a per process level that memory runs out...
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Robert Virding <rvirding@...> wrote: > No. > > There is a major difference between handling OOM ...
On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Kenneth Lundin wrote: > What we could do is to make it easier for the user to prevent OOM > situations and ...
Richard O'Keefe wrote: >> One way would be to let the user set a memory quota on a process with >> options at spawn time. When the p...
On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:10 AM, Ulf Wiger wrote: > > In short, I can see a need for such limits, and would like to include > a reductio...
Richard O'Keefe wrote: > > I am not denying the *need* for limits. (Anyone else remember "engines" > in Scheme?) I've h...
On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Ulf Wiger wrote: > Richard O'Keefe wrote: > >> I am not denying the *need* for limits. (Anyone e...
Richard O'Keefe wrote: > > On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Ulf Wiger wrote: > >> Richard O'Keefe wrote: >> >>>...
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:38:47AM +0100, Ulf Wiger wrote: > Richard O'Keefe wrote: >> >> On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Ulf Wige...
3 customers!! /Angel El Jueves, 12 de Noviembre de 2009 00:56:14 Michael McDaniel escribió: > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:38:47AM +01...
5 customers (2 for my team) Y. Le 12 nov. 09 à 10:41, Angel Alvarez a écrit : > > 3 customers!! > > > /Angel > &g...
This is a very interesting problem. if processes have quotas, then how could you set the quota value? A perfectly correct process might just...
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@...> wrote: > This is a very interesting problem. if processes have quotas, then ...
On Nov 11, 2009, at 2:13 AM, Kenneth Lundin wrote: > If you for example have processes representing subscribers och > half-calls or mobi...
On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:45 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote: > A perfectly correct process might just have a very deep stack, just > once in it...
Dropping messages, suspending processes, and crashing processes is just a bad idea. Erlang's messaging is not "left-guarded" in th...
Joe Armstrong wrote: > > Just killing processes when they have done nothing wrong is not a good idea. Well, it's optional, of course. ...
El Martes, 10 de Noviembre de 2009 05:36:44 Richard O'Keefe escribió: > > On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Kenneth Lundin wrote: > > W...
Interesting discussion! I have been working on a resource system for Erlang for nearly two years now. I have a working (tm) prototype where...
2009/11/9 Tony Rogvall <tony@...> > Interesting discussion! > > I have been working on a resource system for Erlang for nearly...
Not yet. What kind of flavor do you have in mind? One proposal is to let sender crash when receiver in box is full. I would like to test ...
Tony Rogvall wrote: > Not yet. > > What kind of flavor do you have in mind? > > One proposal is to let sender crash when rec...
RE: Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over? – > Ulf Wiger wrote: >> Tony Rogvall wrote: >> >> What kind of flavor do you have in mind? >> >> One proposa...
Tony Rogvall wrote: > Not yet. > > What kind of flavor do you have in mind? > > One proposal is to let sender crash when rec...
2009/11/10 Tony Rogvall <tony@...> > Not yet. > > What kind of flavor do you have in mind? > > One proposal is to let ...
Well please let me say something I'm plain new but some things are pretty clear for me. The beauty of the erlang concept is "let it...
It is still the same "let it crash" concept using the resource limit system I am designing. But you can limit the crash in a more ...
Well still there are many issues with this new approach Where are the maibox of processes located? With a heap pre process... Couldnt y...
Hi! On 9 nov 2009, at 14.54, Angel Alvarez wrote: > Well still there are many issues with this new approach > Yes! But it does not ...
El Lunes, 9 de Noviembre de 2009 Tony Rogvall escribió: > Hi! > > On 9 nov 2009, at 14.54, Angel Alvarez wrote: > > > W...
Ok, so You advice is just to look after memory usage of "dangereous" processes? _____________________________________________________...
That would be a start, it very much depends on your app. I am not really the right person to ask about details on chasing the culprit, but I do r...
The problem is that there is no way for the VM to really know which process is leaking. The Linux OOM-killer has gone through a bunch of re...
You could run two Erlang VMs (thus, keeping the HTTP connection and its state separate). Then the crasher wouldn't take the other one down....
What if you'll have different nodes for different tasks instead of processes? Start one node to read stream and one (or many) other node to pr...
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@...> wrote: > I understand your arguments. Yet, It would be great to have &g...
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:43:25PM -0700, Tony Arcieri wrote: > I'm not really sure if we're speaking about the same thing then. Erlang is &...
----- Original Message ---- > From: Andrew Thompson <andrew@...> > ... it'd be nice to have an > alternative in cases wh...
AW: Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over? – Hello, I had a few occasions during developing that a runaway process caused my machine to swap and gind to a halt. (i should have used ulimit ...
This would be a very useful tunable. On Nov 9, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Decker, Nils wrote: > Hello, > > I had a few occasions during de...
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@...> wrote: > In general, I believe the heartbeat functionality (i.e. erl -hear...