Why do I have to recompile erl files

Donald Steven
When I take my work from my desktop to my laptop I have to recompile
some erl modules or I get an error (even though the beam files are
present and where they need to be and they're both modern Intel Windows
machines).  What's going on?

Thanks.

Don

PS: I do use the WIndows Linux subsystem, but both computers are up to
date so I don' think there is any difference there either.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

Luke Bakken-2
Hi Donald,

I'm curious to know what the error is, and if you're using the same
version of Erlang in both places.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I take my work from my desktop to my laptop I have to recompile
> some erl modules or I get an error (even though the beam files are
> present and where they need to be and they're both modern Intel Windows
> machines).  What's going on?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Don
>

> PS: I do use the WIndows Linux subsystem, but both computers are up to
> date so I don' think there is any difference there either.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

Donald Steven
My PC says: Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-0.9] [source] [64-bit] ...
My laptop says: My PC says: Erlang/OTP 18- [erts-7.3] [source] [64-bit] ...

On 2/21/2019 1.53 PM, Luke Bakken wrote:

> Hi Donald,
>
> I'm curious to know what the error is, and if you're using the same
> version of Erlang in both places.
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I take my work from my desktop to my laptop I have to recompile
>> some erl modules or I get an error (even though the beam files are
>> present and where they need to be and they're both modern Intel Windows
>> machines).  What's going on?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Don
>>

>> PS: I do use the WIndows Linux subsystem, but both computers are up to
>> date so I don' think there is any difference there either.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

Luke Bakken-2
Hi Donald,

I suspect the different Erlang versions are causing this. Sometimes
beam files are compatible, but I've found re-compilation is almost
always required when moving between major versions.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My PC says: Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-0.9] [source] [64-bit] ...
> My laptop says: My PC says: Erlang/OTP 18- [erts-7.3] [source] [64-bit] ...
>
> On 2/21/2019 1.53 PM, Luke Bakken wrote:
> > Hi Donald,
> >
> > I'm curious to know what the error is, and if you're using the same
> > version of Erlang in both places.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> When I take my work from my desktop to my laptop I have to recompile
> >> some erl modules or I get an error (even though the beam files are
> >> present and where they need to be and they're both modern Intel Windows
> >> machines).  What's going on?
> >>

> >> Thanks.
> >>

> >> Don
> >>

> >> PS: I do use the WIndows Linux subsystem, but both computers are up to
> >> date so I don' think there is any difference there either.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

PAILLEAU Eric
Hello,
Compilation datetime is not anymore in beam file starting 19.0. maybe ?

regards

Le 22/02/2019 à 01:02, Luke Bakken a écrit :

> Hi Donald,
>
> I suspect the different Erlang versions are causing this. Sometimes
> beam files are compatible, but I've found re-compilation is almost
> always required when moving between major versions.
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My PC says: Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-0.9] [source] [64-bit] ...
>> My laptop says: My PC says: Erlang/OTP 18- [erts-7.3] [source] [64-bit] ...
>>
>> On 2/21/2019 1.53 PM, Luke Bakken wrote:
>>> Hi Donald,
>>>
>>> I'm curious to know what the error is, and if you're using the same
>>> version of Erlang in both places.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

PAILLEAU Eric
Hello,
And BEAM format starting 20.0 add new chunk types "AtU8" and "Dbgi" if I
remember.
regards

Le 22/02/2019 à 01:07, PAILLEAU Eric a écrit :

> Hello,
> Compilation datetime is not anymore in beam file starting 19.0. maybe ?
>
> regards
>

> Le 22/02/2019 à 01:02, Luke Bakken a écrit :
>> Hi Donald,
>>
>> I suspect the different Erlang versions are causing this. Sometimes
>> beam files are compatible, but I've found re-compilation is almost
>> always required when moving between major versions.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My PC says: Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-0.9] [source] [64-bit] ...
>>> My laptop says: My PC says: Erlang/OTP 18- [erts-7.3] [source]
>>> [64-bit] ...

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

Donald Steven
Is it the case that beam files usually have to be recompiled when using
a newer OTP version?

On 2/21/2019 7.02 PM, Luke Bakken wrote:

> Hi Donald,
>
> I suspect the different Erlang versions are causing this. Sometimes
> beam files are compatible, but I've found re-compilation is almost
> always required when moving between major versions.
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Donald Steven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My PC says: Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-0.9] [source] [64-bit] ...
>> My laptop says: My PC says: Erlang/OTP 18- [erts-7.3] [source] [64-bit] ...
>>
>> On 2/21/2019 1.53 PM, Luke Bakken wrote:
>>> Hi Donald,
>>>
>>> I'm curious to know what the error is, and if you're using the same
>>> version of Erlang in both places.

Re: Why do I have to recompile erl files

Sverker Eriksson-5

A new ERTS can usually load beam files compiled with an older compiler
at least a couple of major versions back.

An old ERTS may not be able to load beam files compiled with a newer compiler
as it may find futuristic instructions that it does not understand.

We usually only do such changes between major versions.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP