Windows 10 Fast Startup compatibility with Erlang

Windows 10 Fast Startup compatibility with Erlang

Przemek
Hi,

Recently I discovered that Fast Startup Windows 10 feature is causing unpredictable Erlang behavior, one example is that it is causing that service processes are put into some kind of sleep mode instead of stopping them and starting later.
From what I heard Erlang runtime does not work well when going into sleep mode, some timers work incorrectly then. I was struggling for almost one year with RabbitMQ being unresponsive for 2-3h every Monday, now I've found that Fast Startup is causing such mess.

Currently I'm trying to find any resources related to Erlang and Fast Startup feature, does anybody know something about it? How to avoid such issue? Is it possible to provide some kind of fix in order to prevent such cases for Windows 10 users? Or at least letting them know that they should probably turn this feature off?

Regards,
 Przemek D.

Fwd: Windows 10 Fast Startup compatibility with Erlang

Eric des Courtis-3

Re: Windows 10 Fast Startup compatibility with Erlang

Przemek
Hi Eric,

Setting to delayed start will not help as the issue is related to Fast Startup which means that the Erlang proces is started (or delayed started) only at some rare occasions eg. I noticed that Windows 10 fully restarted all services when system files were updated by Windows Update. In other words Erlang service is usually not stopped when Windows 10 is being shut down, instead it is put into sleep mode. When computer is turned on again then there is no service start routine involved at all, the process is only put into running mode again.

Regards

Pozdrowienia,
 Przemek D.

Is the service starting with erlsrv? If so you could be as easy as changing the service to delayed start.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Przemek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Recently I discovered that Fast Startup Windows 10 feature is causing unpredictable Erlang behavior, one example is that it is causing that service processes are put into some kind of sleep mode instead of stopping them and starting later.
From what I heard Erlang runtime does not work well when going into sleep mode, some timers work incorrectly then. I was struggling for almost one year with RabbitMQ being unresponsive for 2-3h every Monday, now I've found that Fast Startup is causing such mess.

Currently I'm trying to find any resources related to Erlang and Fast Startup feature, does anybody know something about it? How to avoid such issue? Is it possible to provide some kind of fix in order to prevent such cases for Windows 10 users? Or at least letting them know that they should probably turn this feature off?

Regards,
 Przemek D.

Re: Windows 10 Fast Startup compatibility with Erlang

Przemek
Hi Wes,

This worked for me, I found the solution rather quickly when I discovered that Win 10 service processes are put into sleep mode instead of being stopped and started again.
My intention was to help others running Erlang on Win 10 machines, Fast Startup is clearly not easy to spot as a cause. It took me a lot of time to discover this issue. Moreover I couldn't find anything interesting on web related to this. To help others:
- somebody could provide a fix for such cases, is it possible?
- there could be some web page on Erlang main page which explicitly describe "Erlang Windows 10 quirks", is it possible?

Regards

Pozdrowienia,
 Przemek D.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Przemek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Recently I discovered that Fast Startup Windows 10 feature is causing unpredictable Erlang behavior, one example is that it is causing that service processes are put into some kind of sleep mode instead of stopping them and starting later.
From what I heard Erlang runtime does not work well when going into sleep mode, some timers work incorrectly then. I was struggling for almost one year with RabbitMQ being unresponsive for 2-3h every Monday, now I've found that Fast Startup is causing such mess.