Quantcast

Windows Update 15063 et erl.exe

Frank Muller

Hi,

I've an Erlang application called tapp which was running perfectly as a service under Windows 10 "build 14393" (and earlier versions).

Since Microsoft is forcing updates now, the app stopped working when I got the update build "15063".

Here is the syslog error message I'm getting now:

<EventData>

  <Data>tapp</Data>

  <Data>Possible cyclic restarting of erlang machine.</Data>

In the Windows's task manager, I can see that both erl.exe and conhost.exe get restarted every second.

Does anyone notice this problem? Any idea for a fix?

N.B: I'm using erts-8.2

/Frank

Re: Windows Update 15063 et erl.exe

Frank Muller
Forgot to mention that the application is still working fine if started manually (i.e. console mode):
c:\> bin\tapp.cmd console

But not when started as a Windows service.

/Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've an Erlang application called tapp which was running perfectly as a service under Windows 10 "build 14393" (and earlier versions).

Since Microsoft is forcing updates now, the app stopped working when I got the update build "15063".

Here is the syslog error message I'm getting now:

<EventData>

  <Data>tapp</Data>

  <Data>Possible cyclic restarting of erlang machine.</Data>

In the Windows's task manager, I can see that both erl.exe and conhost.exe get restarted every second.

Does anyone notice this problem? Any idea for a fix?

N.B: I'm using erts-8.2

/Frank

Re: Windows Update 15063 et erl.exe

Frank Muller
Hi James,

Thank you. I'll try in few minutes and I'll let you know.

Question: is there a way to set these parameters via erlsrv.exe?

/Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote :
[...]

Same problem even after setting Delayed-Start.
James, can you please test with erl-8.2 ?

/Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote :

[...]

You really saved my day. After copying your exact settings, it's working perfectly now.

Thanks again.

/Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote :

[...]

Now, stopping the service takes around 30sec to finish with this message (in System Events Viewer):

tapp: StopAction did not terminate Erlang. Trying forced kill.

I've defined my stop-action as: "init:stop()."

Any idea?

/Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote :

[...]

obi458

Hi Frank,

the problem on Windows is a bug in erlsrv,

set the internal service name to display name will fix it!

erlsrv add my_super_app  -i my_super_app ....

No delay or something else needed!!

Regards,

Oliver

<[hidden email]> wrote :

[...]

Grüße
Oliver Bollmann

Re: Windows Update 15063 et erl.exe

Frank Muller
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the tip. Now starting the service is fine.

Can someone please explain me how the "-stopaction" is called? Does it needs a "cookie" to be properly set? In other words, how erlsrv.exe can connect to the nods and apply the "-stopaction" without a cookie?

/Frank