Quantcast

XML.com article on Functional Programming and XML

XML.com article on Functional Programming and XML

Bijan Parsia
Hey folks.

I've written an overview article on Functional Programming and XML for
XML.com, and it just came out!

One of the things I specifically plug is Erlang, e.g., XMerL, IDX/Mnesia,
etc.

The article is very light in tone and aimed toward tantalizing folks
unfamilar with FP. Please take a peek! And pass on any comments to me or
the folks at ORA. Positive or negative feedback welcome.

I'm hoping to produce some more hands-on Erlang articles for XML.com
(e.g., building a simple CMS on Inets, XMerL, and IDX/Mnesia), so if
anyone has suggestions, material, outlines for articles they'd like to
write :), drop me a line!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

XML.com article on Functional Programming and XML

Mickael Remond-2
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> Hey folks.
>
> I've written an overview article on Functional Programming and XML for
> XML.com, and it just came out!
>
> One of the things I specifically plug is Erlang, e.g., XMerL, IDX/Mnesia,
> etc.
>
> The article is very light in tone and aimed toward tantalizing folks
> unfamilar with FP. Please take a peek! And pass on any comments to me or
> the folks at ORA. Positive or negative feedback welcome.

Oh. This is in fact a very nice article.
The explaination of the relationship between functionnal programming langage
and XML is excellent.

In fact, I would be glad if you could allow me to translate this article in
french for my Erlang page, by giving you the proper credit.  (And I should
probably warn ORA that I did so...)

On the content side the explaination of XMLLambda and haXML was very useful
because I did not knew this tool.

Amongst the Erlang XML tools you now have the Sablatron binding, but I am
prettyt sure that you wrote your article before the release of this tool.

> I'm hoping to produce some more hands-on Erlang articles for XML.com
> (e.g., building a simple CMS on Inets, XMerL, and IDX/Mnesia), so if
> anyone has suggestions, material, outlines for articles they'd like to
> write :), drop me a line!

I have articles in mind about IDX-xmnesia. We are using this tool on real life
problem and we are using it to store production data so this is today
something more than a simple toy. But I agree with you that today, this is
more a developper oriented tool than a user oriented tool and we need to make
some effort to make it user/developper friendly and easy to use.

This could be a way to dig deeper into XML and Erlang programming and to
convince more XML people to have a look at Erlang.

So stay tune for more information on IDX-xmnesia.

--
Micka?l R?mond