asn1 improvement proposal

Per Hedeland-4
Hi,

The asn1 en/decoder proberly handles ellipsis notation as it is
today.

However, the decoder receives an extended PDU with
ellipsis data it will simply discard that information.
There is no way to tell the encoder to add extension information.

I propose that each record generated by the compiler should add
an additional '$ellipsis' field for the last '...' in a sequence/set.

The decoder should add any extension information to the '$ellipsis'
field. The encoder should allow the user to put extension information.

This improvement would allow creation of proxy functions where one
does not always have the latest available/vendor specific spec.

/Per
Per Bergqvist
Synapse Systems AB
Phone: +46 709 686 685
Email: per

asn1 improvement proposal

Kenneth Lundin-2
Hi,

We have been thinking on a solution like that earlier but didn't find
time and motivation to implement it then.

It would be ok to receive the unknown "elipsis" parts as an undecoded
binary and to pass that to the encoder function for further
distribution, but I think is would be difficult for the user to create a
correct binary on his own and pass to the encoder.

I think your suggestion is worth taking up and we might implement it in
a coming version although we have to think about compatibility too.

/Regards Kenneth

--
Kenneth Lundin              Ericsson AB
kenneth     ?T2/UAB/UKH/K