crypto: priv/obj and OTP-4828

Matwey V. Kornilov-2

Hi,

I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of crypto:

"""
Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions

    It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
object file is now released with the application (installed in
priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the driver
on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).

    Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
"""

priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
crypto_drv.so?

Re: crypto: priv/obj and OTP-4828

Rickard Green-2

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Matwey V. Kornilov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of crypto:
>
> """
> Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions
>
>     It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
> file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
> object file is now released with the application (installed in
> priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
> directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the driver
> on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).
>
>     Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
> """
>
> priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
> issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
> crypto_drv.so?

We used to deliver a pre-built binary release of OTP for licensed customers. The object file and example makefile were there in order for customers to be able link the crypto driver against an alternative openssl library. Nowadays the driver has be replaced by a NIF and we only deliver OTP as source. Since everyone builds from source, there is no need for this relink procedure.
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

ср, 3 июл. 2019 г. в 23:28, Rickard Green <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Matwey V. Kornilov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of crypto:
> >
> > """
> > Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions
> >
> >     It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
> > file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
> > object file is now released with the application (installed in
> > priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
> > directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the driver
> > on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).
> >
> >     Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
> > """
> >
> > priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
> > issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
> > crypto_drv.so?
> >

> We used to deliver a pre-built binary release of OTP for licensed customers. The object file and example makefile were there in order for customers to be able link the crypto driver against an alternative openssl library. Nowadays the driver has be replaced by a NIF and we only deliver OTP as source. Since everyone builds from source, there is no need for this relink procedure.
> --
> Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. You say that relinking is not needed
nowadays. Is it possible to drop this object files from "make install"
rules in further releases?

--
With best regards,
Matwey V. Kornilov

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 10:52 AM Matwey V. Kornilov <[hidden email]> wrote:
ср, 3 июл. 2019 г. в 23:28, Rickard Green <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:45 PM Matwey V. Kornilov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I see the following in the changelog for the quite old version of crypto:
> >
> > """
> > Fixed Bugs and Malfunctions
> >
> >     It was not possible in R9 to relink the crypto driver. The object
> > file was missing as well as an example makefile. The crypto driver
> > object file is now released with the application (installed in
> > priv/obj). An example makefile has also been added to the priv/obj
> > directory. The makefile serves as an example of how to relink the driver
> > on Unix (crypto_drv.so) or Windows (crypto_drv.dll).
> >
> >     Own Id: OTP-4828 Aux Id: seq8193
> > """
> >
> > priv/obj is still there. I would like to have more details on this
> > issue. Could somebody give an example when one needs to relink
> > crypto_drv.so?
> >

> We used to deliver a pre-built binary release of OTP for licensed customers. The object file and example makefile were there in order for customers to be able link the crypto driver against an alternative openssl library. Nowadays the driver has be replaced by a NIF and we only deliver OTP as source. Since everyone builds from source, there is no need for this relink procedure.

Let me take the last sentence back :-)

> --
> Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. You say that relinking is not needed
nowadays. Is it possible to drop this object files from "make install"
rules in further releases?

--
With best regards,
Matwey V. Kornilov

In case you deliver OTP as a pre-built binary package to your customers (as we previously did), it might be useful for your customers to be able to relink the crypto NIF library. That is, I don't think this feature should be removed.
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB