dirty nifs ETA?

Benoit Chesneau-2
I'm wondering if there is any ETA for having the dirty nifs considered as stable and compiled by default with an Erlang release. What's still on the TODO?

Having them as stable would help to ship a release with them.

- benoît

Re: dirty nifs ETA?

Rickard Green-2
On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Benoit Chesneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is any ETA for having the dirty nifs considered as
> stable and compiled by default with an Erlang release. What's still on the
> TODO?
>

> Having them as stable would help to ship a release with them.
>

> - benoît

The plan is currently OTP 20.

Cut from <http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl_nif.html#dirty_nifs>:

"Currently known issues that are planned to be fixed:

* Since purging of a module currently might need to garbage collect a
process in order to determine if it has references to the module, a
process executing a dirty NIF might delay purging for a very long
time. Delaying a purge operation implies delaying all code loading
operations which might cause severe problems for the system as a
whole."

Besides the above, writing more test-cases and test the implementation
more extensively is also on the todo-list.

Regards,
Rickard
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB