discourse for erlang

Alex Alvarez-4
Although I'm still very passionate about Erlang, lately I've been checking out Julia.  And one thing that called my attention recently is the fact they no longer use a mailing list.  They instead are using Discourse (https://discourse.julialang.org/) and seems to be pretty effective for their project.  Just saying!

Discourse vs Email & Mailing lists
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-vs-email-mailing-lists/54298

Re: discourse for erlang

Tristan Sloughter-4
I've been pushing this. Instead of having a custom built forum like erlangcentral used to have, just use discourse like every other language :). I also thought about setting it up myself and trying to get it adopted that way, but geez does it have a lot of moving parts.... But not going to divert this into a rant about Ruby on Rails projects...

Anyway, I don't see it as a replacement for the mailing list, but a complement.

Tristan

Re: discourse for erlang

Alex Alvarez-4

No doubt that each medium has its pluses and minuses, and I do like email+mail lists in general.  But when you have a lot of content, you want to openly show what's going on and want to bring more people in, for some projects mail lists alone are probably too obscure and thus less helpful.  The ability to show not only communication between users and developers, but also other items in a single front page, like related conferences, projects, research, products, services, etc., can be quite nice.  And the fact that Discourse has been successfully tested + deployed by a number of comparable projects is also a plus.  Just saying!  ;0)

On 8/26/18 9:54 AM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
I've been pushing this. Instead of having a custom built forum like erlangcentral used to have, just use discourse like every other language :). I also thought about setting it up myself and trying to get it adopted that way, but geez does it have a lot of moving parts.... But not going to divert this into a rant about Ruby on Rails projects...

Anyway, I don't see it as a replacement for the mailing list, but a complement.

Tristan

Re: discourse for erlang

Joe Harrison-2
On 26/08/18 14:54, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> I've been pushing this. Instead of having a custom built forum like
> erlangcentral used to have, just use discourse like every other language
> :). I also thought about setting it up myself and trying to get it
> adopted that way, but geez does it have a lot of moving parts.... But
> not going to divert this into a rant about Ruby on Rails projects...

Let me take the bait, then:

"The only officially supported installs of Discourse are Docker based."

I find this sad, and the reasoning even more tragic:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md#why-do-you-only-officially-support-docker

Several people (i.e. myself) may consider such complexity of forum
software to be criminal.

I may have dropped the DMARC bomb earlier (which is enough of a burden),
but I think that asking Raimo or anyone else to host Discourse counts as
cruel and unusual punishment.

way to judge the "size" or popularity of discussions here. I can quickly
see names, topics, and the length of threads. If I want to search, my
mail client does a "good enough" job.

- Joe

Re: discourse for erlang

Michael Truog
On 08/26/2018 01:18 PM, Joe Harrison wrote:

> On 26/08/18 14:54, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
>> I've been pushing this. Instead of having a custom built forum like
>> erlangcentral used to have, just use discourse like every other language
>> :). I also thought about setting it up myself and trying to get it
>> adopted that way, but geez does it have a lot of moving parts.... But
>> not going to divert this into a rant about Ruby on Rails projects...
> Let me take the bait, then:
>
> "The only officially supported installs of Discourse are Docker based."
>
> I find this sad, and the reasoning even more tragic:
>
> https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md#why-do-you-only-officially-support-docker
>
> Several people (i.e. myself) may consider such complexity of forum
> software to be criminal.
>
> I may have dropped the DMARC bomb earlier (which is enough of a burden),
> but I think that asking Raimo or anyone else to host Discourse counts as
> cruel and unusual punishment.

> way to judge the "size" or popularity of discussions here. I can quickly
> see names, topics, and the length of threads. If I want to search, my
> mail client does a "good enough" job.
>
> - Joe

I agree that email provides valuable discussion and the email information has remained accessible for long period of time.  The accessibility of email is likely due to its reliance on published standards and the amount of software facilitating email.

In comparison, Discourse is a single small open-source project that favors Docker, making it similar to a corporate walled-garden that is not interested in preserving its data for years as Discourse source code changes.  If a Discourse interface was as ubiquitous as email, then it may be advantageous to use, but that would be a very different situation.  Lets wait until Discourse replaces email in popularity.

Best Regards,
Michael

Re: discourse for erlang

Michael Nisi
As Swift and JavaScript user, let me state, this mailing list is unique—world cultural heritage. Let’s keep it forever.

>> On 26/08/18 14:54, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
>>>
>>> erlangcentral used to have, just use discourse like every other language

Re: discourse for erlang

Raimo Niskanen-11
On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 09:18:17PM +0100, Joe Harrison wrote:
:
> Several people (i.e. myself) may consider such complexity of forum
> software to be criminal.
>
> I may have dropped the DMARC bomb earlier (which is enough of a burden),
> but I think that asking Raimo or anyone else to host Discourse counts as
> cruel and unusual punishment.

:-)

I actually had a look at Mailman3 and thought _that_ was too cumbersome to
install and maintain...