erlmail problems

Martin Koroudjiev
Hi,

I am trying to use erlmail as an IMAP client only. I modified the
library to use ssl instead of gen_tcp sockets but I receive errors when
the library is parsing the return line from googlemail:

* OK Gimap ready for requests from 79.126.56.221 i9if507573yhn.157\r\n

This line seems to me ok.
Had anyone used erlmail as an IMAP client? Any advise? Other libraries?

Regards,

Martin

Re: erlmail problems

Andrew Thompson-2
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:11:49PM +0300, Martin Dimitrov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use erlmail as an IMAP client only. I modified the
> library to use ssl instead of gen_tcp sockets but I receive errors when
> the library is parsing the return line from googlemail:
>
> * OK Gimap ready for requests from 79.126.56.221 i9if507573yhn.157\r\n
>
> This line seems to me ok.
> Had anyone used erlmail as an IMAP client? Any advise? Other libraries?

I tried to play with erlmail some and I couldn't get anywhere. I was
trying the IMAP server component though, not the client. After digging
into it a little I basically wrote the whole codebase off as a loss
because I had trouble figuring out how the code was *supposed* to work,
let alone figuring out why it wasn't working.

I don't know of an alternate IMAP client library for erlang, though.
I've been writing an IMAP server implementation for the last couple
weeks (https://github.com/Vagabond/diemap) but that's probably not much
help (its also really unfinished). I was considering eventually writing
a client to go with it, as I did with my SMTP library but if I do it'll
be a while.

Andrew

Re: erlmail problems

Martin Koroudjiev
Thanks for the reply.

I will be looking foreword to see your IMAP server and client.

There are some forks of erlmail.

Any idea on them?

Regards,

Martin

On 5/20/2011 5:53 PM, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:11:49PM +0300, Martin Dimitrov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to use erlmail as an IMAP client only. I modified the
>> library to use ssl instead of gen_tcp sockets but I receive errors when
>> the library is parsing the return line from googlemail:
>>
>> * OK Gimap ready for requests from 79.126.56.221 i9if507573yhn.157\r\n
>>
>> This line seems to me ok.
>> Had anyone used erlmail as an IMAP client? Any advise? Other libraries?
>>
> I tried to play with erlmail some and I couldn't get anywhere. I was
> trying the IMAP server component though, not the client. After digging
> into it a little I basically wrote the whole codebase off as a loss
> because I had trouble figuring out how the code was *supposed* to work,
> let alone figuring out why it wasn't working.
>
> I don't know of an alternate IMAP client library for erlang, though.
> I've been writing an IMAP server implementation for the last couple
> weeks (https://github.com/Vagabond/diemap) but that's probably not much
> help (its also really unfinished). I was considering eventually writing
> a client to go with it, as I did with my SMTP library but if I do it'll
> be a while.
>
> Andrew

Re: erlmail problems

Andrew Thompson-2
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 07:11:32PM +0300, Martin Dimitrov wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I will be looking foreword to see your IMAP server and client.
>
> There are some forks of erlmail.
>
> Any idea on them?

I know Geoff Cant (archaelus) had a similar experience with erlmail as I
did. He's the one with the fork on github.

Andrew