exometer core only

Roberto Ostinelli
All,
Reading the HEAD documentation of exometer:

NOTE: Exometer has been split into exometer_core, and exometer (as well as separate reporter applications). The latest monolithic version of Exometer is 1.1.

I'm currently using 1.1, however there are a bunch of things that I do not use (I'm only using custom static metrics with hostedgraphite, nothing from folsom, etc). I'm guessing that's the rationale into splitting exometer, so that one can choose which components to use.

Though, I'm not understanding if I should start using exometer_core, or if the split is still a WIP.

Anyone can shed some light?

Thank you,
r.

Re: exometer core only

Tino Breddin-3
Hi,

The split was performed in order to simplify the use of core exometer functionality. As you can see the new `exometer` is mostly a container for reporters which have dependencies which you might not want to use in your system. The reporters which are kept in exometer_core are dependency-free. You can still use the "feature selection" during build to exclude certain reporters and their dependencies, but the main build has become simpler this way.

As for using the split, it is stable so far and all tests are green, however not all reporters are tested. So feel free to take it for a test.

LGT

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,
Reading the HEAD documentation of exometer:

NOTE: Exometer has been split into exometer_core, and exometer (as well as separate reporter applications). The latest monolithic version of Exometer is 1.1.

I'm currently using 1.1, however there are a bunch of things that I do not use (I'm only using custom static metrics with hostedgraphite, nothing from folsom, etc). I'm guessing that's the rationale into splitting exometer, so that one can choose which components to use.

Though, I'm not understanding if I should start using exometer_core, or if the split is still a WIP.

Anyone can shed some light?

Thank you,
r.

Re: exometer core only

Ulf Wiger-6

On 07 Apr 2015, at 07:40, Tino Breddin <[hidden email]> wrote:

As for using the split, it is stable so far and all tests are green, however not all reporters are tested. So feel free to take it for a test.

Put slightly differently, exometer_core is as well tested as ever exometer was. :)

Several projects already use exometer_core, and I’ve seen nothing to indicate that it would be worse than exometer 1.1. On the contrary, several fixes and improvements have been made in exometer_core, and more is coming, as it’s actively maintained.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.

Re: exometer core only

Roberto Ostinelli
Thank you Tino and Ulf.
What I'm seeing is that exometer_core still includes folsom, which I'm not using but I guess it's ok.

Only one question: reading the docs it's not clear to me how I can add the hostedgraphite reporter to exometer_core.
Can you please point me in the right direction? FYI I'm using rebar (if that does even matter).

Thank you,
r.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Ulf Wiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 07 Apr 2015, at 07:40, Tino Breddin <[hidden email]> wrote:

As for using the split, it is stable so far and all tests are green, however not all reporters are tested. So feel free to take it for a test.

Put slightly differently, exometer_core is as well tested as ever exometer was. :)

Several projects already use exometer_core, and I’ve seen nothing to indicate that it would be worse than exometer 1.1. On the contrary, several fixes and improvements have been made in exometer_core, and more is coming, as it’s actively maintained.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.

Re: exometer core only

Tino Breddin-3
Hi,

The exometer_report_graphite is now part of exometer [1], thus you need to add that to your dependencies. Then simply create and subscribe the reporter as you've done before. Some hints on configuring [2] and subscribing [3] reporters can be found in the README.

LGT

[1] https://github.com/Feuerlabs/exometer
[2] https://github.com/Feuerlabs/exometer#configuring-graphite-reporter

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Roberto Ostinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roberto Ostinelli-3
Thank you Tino,
I'm already using exometer with the hostedgraphite reporter, with static subscriptions. My question was if there's any way to use this reporter with exometer_core, I'm probably unable to find how to do it in the docs.

Thank you,
r.

On 07/apr/2015, at 22:35, Tino Breddin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

exometer itself (versions later than 1.1) depends directly on exometer_core. Thus, if you use that, you use exometer_core implicitely as well.

See https://github.com/Feuerlabs/exometer/blob/master/rebar.config#L15

LGT

8 Apr 2015 09:17
Thank you Tino,
I'm already using exometer with the hostedgraphite reporter, with static subscriptions. My question was if there's any way to use this reporter with exometer_core, I'm probably unable to find how to do it in the docs.

Thank you,
r.

On 07/apr/2015, at 22:35, Tino Breddin <[hidden email]> wrote:

7 Apr 2015 18:45

Put slightly differently, exometer_core is as well tested as ever exometer was. :)

Several projects already use exometer_core, and I’ve seen nothing to indicate that it would be worse than exometer 1.1. On the contrary, several fixes and improvements have been made in exometer_core, and more is coming, as it’s actively maintained.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.

7 Apr 2015 07:40
Hi,

The split was performed in order to simplify the use of core exometer functionality. As you can see the new `exometer` is mostly a container for reporters which have dependencies which you might not want to use in your system. The reporters which are kept in exometer_core are dependency-free. You can still use the "feature selection" during build to exclude certain reporters and their dependencies, but the main build has become simpler this way.

As for using the split, it is stable so far and all tests are green, however not all reporters are tested. So feel free to take it for a test.

LGT

6 Apr 2015 22:03
All,
Reading the HEAD documentation of exometer:

NOTE: Exometer has been split into exometer_core, and exometer (as well as separate reporter applications). The latest monolithic version of Exometer is 1.1.

I'm currently using 1.1, however there are a bunch of things that I do not use (I'm only using custom static metrics with hostedgraphite, nothing from folsom, etc). I'm guessing that's the rationale into splitting exometer, so that one can choose which components to use.

Though, I'm not understanding if I should start using exometer_core, or if the split is still a WIP.

Anyone can shed some light?

Thank you,
r.

Re: exometer core only

Martin Karlsson-2
Hi Tino,

> exometer itself (versions later than 1.1) depends directly on exometer_core

Following up on this. I need some of the reporters in exometer. However the latest tagged release is 1.1 which is not using exometer_core. Further to this exometer uses {branch, "master"} in rebar.config to pull a dependency.

It is very hard to use this in production as we are developing against a moving target.

Is there a better way to fix this? Ideally tag exometer with a fixed version of exometer_core?

Cheers,
Martin

Re: exometer core only

Tino Breddin-3

Hi.

Agreed. I think we are ready for a new version since most work recently has been to harden exometer. We will look at it shortly.

Tino

On Apr 21, 2015 5:54 AM, "Martin Karlsson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tino,

> exometer itself (versions later than 1.1) depends directly on exometer_core

Following up on this. I need some of the reporters in exometer. However the latest tagged release is 1.1 which is not using exometer_core. Further to this exometer uses {branch, "master"} in rebar.config to pull a dependency.

It is very hard to use this in production as we are developing against a moving target.

Is there a better way to fix this? Ideally tag exometer with a fixed version of exometer_core?

Cheers,
Martin

Re: exometer core only

Ulf Wiger-6
Exometer-1.2 (perhaps a higher version had been preferable) now uses only tagged versions
(exometer_core-1.2 and exometer_collectd-1.0)

BR,
Ulf W