experience with CASE/diagramming tools in Erlang

experience with CASE/diagramming tools in Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
>Kris Prieb (kprieb) wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Does anyone have experience using CASE/diagramming tools with Erlang?
>If
> > so, could you share what worked for you and what didn't?

Given the almost perfect match between Erlang and SDL, I was quite surprised
to find out that there aren't any SDL tools that can generate Erlang...
maybe it's because none are so open that 3rd party extensions are allowed...
or maybe it's because I just could not find them...

Does anyone know more about that?

/Vlad

experience with CASE/diagramming tools in Erlang

tobbe

Magnus Fr?berg wrote a SDL-pr to Erlang compiler
a number of years ago. There should exist a paper
describing it somewhere (perhaps www.ericsson.se/cslab ).
The conclusion was basically: "why bother, it is easier
to write the code directly in Erlang".

Cheers /Tobbe

experience with CASE/diagramming tools in Erlang

Ulf Wiger-4
On 14 Mar 2001, Torbjorn Tornkvist wrote:

>Magnus Fr?berg wrote a SDL-pr to Erlang compiler
>a number of years ago. There should exist a paper
>describing it somewhere (perhaps www.ericsson.se/cslab ).
>The conclusion was basically: "why bother, it is easier
>to write the code directly in Erlang".
>
>Cheers /Tobbe

Yes... except developing complex systems is not just about getting
runnable code.

There are some excellent system architects that don't enjoy having
to read Erlang in order to understand how a system is implemented
(I know one personally, he sits 5 meters away from me, has
programmed in a large variety of languages -- but not Erlang --
and has done research on distributed systems at MIT; another
sitting 5 meters in the other direction is the chairman of ATM
Forum -- also not an Erlang programmer.)

In order to discuss architecture with these people, you need some
documentation other than the code. How will you write this
documentation? They both understand SDL pretty well...
Once written, how does the documentation keep up with the
implementation?

Also, I'd like to say that you can implement complex state machines
in Erlang, and automatically extract a graphical model of the FSM
from the code, but it just doesn't work like that (try it.)

Basically, for excellent Erlang programmers, excellently well
written Erlang code needs very little other documentation.
But many of our programmers are more average than excellent, and
much of our code (even much code written by excellent programmers)
is everything but excellently written.

Then, you need some good tools for describing your models as well
-- something other than MS Word or FrameMaker...

I'm not saying that generating Erlang from SDL/SDT is necessarily
the answer. I'm just saying that there is a need for something along
those lines.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95