Quantcast

lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0 + license

lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0 + license

chris casilli
Hello,

I noticed that lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0+ license.
How does this effect the overall Apache-2.0 license of OTP.

Can this component be left out. Is a different version available that uses Apache-2.0 license.

Kind Regards,

Chris Casilli

Re: lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0 + license

Kenneth Lundin-5
Hi,

The license of Syntax tools is changed to Apache-2 and LGPL (it is the users choice) in the master branch (which is the way to
the next major release (OTP 20) in end of June.

And yes you can leave out syntax tools for most usage. It is mostly used during development for some non mandatory tools.
For example it is used by edoc the tool for generating documentation from the source code.

It is unlikely to be used in a deployed server.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM, chris casilli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I noticed that lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0+ license.
How does this effect the overall Apache-2.0 license of OTP.

Can this component be left out. Is a different version available that uses Apache-2.0 license.

Kind Regards,

Chris Casilli

Re: lib/syntax_tools uses LGPL-2.0 + license

Marc Worrell
Hi,

We use syntax_tools extensively in Zotonic for compiling templates and dispatch rules to Erlang modules.
This is done runtime, so we would prefer that syntax_tools stays in the Erlang distribution.

Regards,

Marc Worrell

On 10 Feb 2017, at 09:02, Kenneth Lundin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael Truog
On 02/10/2017 12:08 AM, Marc Worrell wrote:

We use syntax_tools extensively in Zotonic for compiling templates and dispatch rules to Erlang modules.
This is done runtime, so we would prefer that syntax_tools stays in the Erlang distribution.

Yes, I agree this is important.  CloudI's logging requires merl from syntax_tools to avoid the use of global state when determining the current log level (so it relies on dynamically generating the module used for the logging interface).  That means merl from syntax_tools is always being used anywhere CloudI is used.

Best Regards,
Michael

[...]

In my previous answer I was not thinking about removing syntax tools from the Erlang distribution, I just explained
that syntax_tools and other Erlang applications included in the Erlang distribution CAN BE LEFT OUT (if there are no dependencies
to them). Syntax_tools and the Compiler for that matter are applications that typically are used during development and not in runtime.

I know there are exceptions to this where a system generate new Erlang modules in runtime.
In that case you get a dependency to the Compiler application but not necessarily to Syntax_tools.

Note that the current Erlang/OTP distribution is a development and runtime system for Erlang and that the idea is that the user
create his own release which contain a subset of the components (Erlang applications) included in the distribution.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Marc Worrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Kenneth,

Re-reading your reply I concluded already that you meant just that.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Regards,

Marc

On 10 Feb 2017, at 10:08, Kenneth Lundin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Carlsson-3
To make it clear, even if an older version is used which only states the LGPL license, it does not affect the rest of the OTP distribution. This is exactly the point with LGPL as opposed to GPL. Erlang is just like Java when it comes to linkage, so see this page from the FSF for more info: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.en.html But in the upcoming OTP 20, you can simply refer to the Apache License instead. Meanwhile, if you're still scared, you can download the standalone version of syntax_tools from GitHub and use that instead of the version that you got from OTP, since it already has the LGPL/Apache dual license notices: https://github.com/richcarl/syntax_tools

The main thing that you can't do with an LGPL library even if you don't modify its the source code, is to package up the resulting system in a way that prevents your customers from doing their own modifications to that library. (I.e., update to a newer version, fix a bug, etc.) Your own code can be as inaccessible as you like.

        /Richard