machine code size of functional languages

machine code size of functional languages

Karel Van Oudheusden
Greetings,

I was just reading "A Comparison Between Erlang and C++ for
Implementation of Telecom Applications" written by T. Aronsson and J
Grafstrom.

In the text the remark is made that applications written in functional
languages
(Haskell, Erlang) are generally shorter than applications written in
imperative languages (C, C++).

Does anybody have recent material (information) on this?
I also assume that the source code size is meant.
What about the machine code size?
Are functional languages also shorter in machine code size than
imperative ones?  Does this depend on the kind of application, if so
what kind?

thanx,
Karel V.O.

machine code size of functional languages

Thierry Mallard
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:34:57AM +0100, Karel Van Oudheusden wrote:
> [ Erlang | C++ ]

> In the text the remark is made that applications written in functional
> languages
> (Haskell, Erlang) are generally shorter than applications written in
> imperative languages (C, C++).

I'm not an experimented Erlang programmer, others here will surely confirm
this. My small experience is that _yes_ it is much smaller to write (source
code) and the program itself (the bytecode) is smaller too. Although I think I
read that the recent release has larger file, for information purpose IIRC.

> Are functional languages also shorter in machine code size than
> imperative ones?  Does this depend on the kind of application, if so
> what kind?

I think that it is mostly due to the fact that there is a separated virtual
machine, whereas imperative language often embedded all the necessary
functions. If you use several libraries when coding in C / C++, the program
binary size will of course be much smaller. (See ? Standalone Erlang ? for
similar effects).

Once again, it's just my very personal first experiences with Erlang :-)

Best regards to you all.

--
Thierry Mallard                    | GnuPG key on pgp.ai.mit.edu
http://IDEALX.com                  | key 0xA3D021CB