Quantcast

my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Joel Reymont
gen_server:cast(stop, Pid).

Anybody else?

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers

Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Dale Harvey
Writing a new module

-module(http).

that particular one wont screw up on the current otp release, but its fairly easy to write one that will if you dont use your own prefix, and it causes the hardest to diagnose errors around.

On 1 August 2011 17:36, Joel Reymont <[hidden email]> wrote:
gen_server:cast(stop, Pid).

Anybody else?

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers

Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Mihai Balea
Forgetting a comma between strings in a list, like ["foo" "bar"]
Made for a _very_ insidious and hard to find bug.

Mihai

On Aug 1, 2011, at 9:16 PM, Kenny Stone wrote:

list_to_atom on increasing sequence numbers will make for a good crash...

Kenny

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Dale Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Writing a new module

-module(http).

that particular one wont screw up on the current otp release, but its fairly easy to write one that will if you dont use your own prefix, and it causes the hardest to diagnose errors around.

On 1 August 2011 17:36, Joel Reymont <[hidden email]> wrote:
gen_server:cast(stop, Pid).

Anybody else?

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers

Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Vincenzo Maggio
lists:seq(1:100).

Erlang answers with "illegal expression" -> an afternoon of code review :(
And I STILL continue to write this!!!

Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Richard A. O'Keefe-2

On 10/08/2011, at 2:16 AM, Vincenzo Maggio wrote:

> lists:seq(1:100).
>
> Erlang answers with "illegal expression" -> an afternoon of code review :(
> And I STILL continue to write this!!!

Here's a one-line AWK script you can use to check for this.

#!/bin/awk -f
/[^a-zA-Z0-9_][0-9]+ *:/ { print FILENAME ":" FNR ": integer-colon error" }

You can probably configure your editor to run this on a keystroke.

Of course 1:100 is perfectly legal S, so it's not _that_ silly a mistake.

Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Dmitrii Dimandt-2
If we only could get a public repository for Wrangler rules[1] we could have these checks actually integrated with proper Erlang tools

On 10/08/2011, at 2:16 AM, Vincenzo Maggio wrote:

lists:seq(1:100).

Erlang answers with "illegal expression" -> an afternoon of code review :(
And I STILL continue to write this!!!

Here's a one-line AWK script you can use to check for this.

#!/bin/awk -f
/[^a-zA-Z0-9_][0-9]+ *:/ { print FILENAME ":" FNR ": integer-colon error" }

You can probably configure your editor to run this on a keystroke.

Of course 1:100 is perfectly legal S, so it's not _that_ silly a mistake.

===================================
Dmitrii Dimandt

Erlang in Russian
http://erlanger.ru/

TurkeyTPS

Wrangler (Was: Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth")

Richard Carlsson-3
On 08/10/2011 08:56 AM, Dmitrii Dimandt wrote:
> If we only could get a public repository for Wrangler rules[1] we could
> have these checks actually integrated with proper Erlang tools

Wrangler can now be found here:
https://github.com/RefactoringTools/wrangler

It's now also much easier to compile and set up, and plays well with a
modern Distel (which is found at https://github.com/massemanet/distel,
if you want to get it separately, but Wrangler includes a recent version).

    /Richard

Re: Wrangler (Was: Re: my best erlang "foot in mouth")

Simon Thompson
Richard - thanks for nudging us to doing this. The Wrangler team plans a release in the next few weeks with stable versions of the scripting, and a repository for scripts.

Simon and Huiqing

On 10 Aug 2011, at 12:20, Richard Carlsson wrote:

> On 08/10/2011 08:56 AM, Dmitrii Dimandt wrote:
>> If we only could get a public repository for Wrangler rules[1] we could
>> have these checks actually integrated with proper Erlang tools
>
> Wrangler can now be found here:
> https://github.com/RefactoringTools/wrangler
>
> It's now also much easier to compile and set up, and plays well with a modern Distel (which is found at https://github.com/massemanet/distel, if you want to get it separately, but Wrangler includes a recent version).
>
>   /Richard

Simon Thompson | Professor of Logic and Computation
School of Computing | University of Kent | Canterbury, CT2 7NF, UK
[hidden email] | M +44 7986 085754 | W www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt

my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Michael Uvarov
-define(DBG(X,Y), ?DBG(X,Y)).
in the header file.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Fernando "Brujo" Benavides
We've found a pretty one with Marcos Almonacid today...
We've created a gist <https://gist.github.com/1328116> with it.

The *evil* function:

test1() -> [#rec{field1 = 1, field2 = 1}
            #rec{field1 = 2, field2 = 2}].

Cheers!
*Fernando Benavides <http://google.com/profiles/greenmellon>*

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Michael Uvarov <freeakk> wrote:

> -define(DBG(X,Y), ?DBG(X,Y)).
> in the header file.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Jesse Gumm-3
I've gotten burned by that one quite a bit using Nitrogen since
Nitrogen represents almost all of the data using a nested record
structure.

That's a frustrating one.

-Jesse

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Fernando Benavides
<fernando.benavides> wrote:

> We've found a pretty one with Marcos Almonacid today...
> We've created a gist with it.
> The evil function:
>
> test1() -> [#rec{field1 = 1, field2 = 1}
>
> ????????????#rec{field1 = 2, field2 = 2}].
>

> Cheers!
> Fernando Benavides
>

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Michael Uvarov <freeakk> wrote:
>>
>> -define(DBG(X,Y), ?DBG(X,Y)).
>> in the header file.

Jesse Gumm
Sigma Star Systems
414.940.4866
gumm
http://www.sigma-star.com

my best erlang "foot in mouth"

Robert Virding-5
Just to say "I told you so". That used to be illegal code until they removed the obligatory parentheses around the record value expression. Just to be helpful. :-)

Robert