resolv.conf

Shawn Pearce
I discovered that the following resolve.conf does not work for an
erlang node and will cause all namserver lookups to fail because there
are no nameservers registered in the node:

        search cs.rpi.edu rpi.edu
        nameserver 128.113.18.1 ns.cs.rpi.edu

But the following does work:

        search cs.rpi.edu rpi.edu
        nameserver 128.113.18.1

What was really interesting was that no other application was having
problems with DNS services EXCEPT for Erlang.  This is release R7B.

You guys might want to add this to the FAQ about getting a distributed
Erlang to work.

BTW, that JInterface is great.  :-)  Thanks.

--
Shawn.

  ``If this had been a real
    life, you would have
    received instructions
    on where to go and what
    to do.''

resolv.conf

Daniel Neri
Shawn Pearce <spearce> writes:

> I discovered that the following resolve.conf does not work for an
> erlang node and will cause all namserver lookups to fail because there
> are no nameservers registered in the node:
>
> search cs.rpi.edu rpi.edu
> nameserver 128.113.18.1 ns.cs.rpi.edu

At least according to the resolv.conf manpage on my BSD system, that
second line is not valid -- you need to use plain IP addresses. What
does your manual page say?

Regards,
   --Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne

resolv.conf

Shawn Pearce
Daniel Neri <dne> scrawled:

> Shawn Pearce <spearce> writes:
>
> > I discovered that the following resolve.conf does not work for an
> > erlang node and will cause all namserver lookups to fail because there
> > are no nameservers registered in the node:
> >
> > search cs.rpi.edu rpi.edu
> > nameserver 128.113.18.1 ns.cs.rpi.edu
>
> At least according to the resolv.conf manpage on my BSD system, that
> second line is not valid -- you need to use plain IP addresses. What
> does your manual page say?

I'm using RedHat Linux 6.2.  (I know, first mistake is using Linux.)
Apparently, my manual page does not exist for resolve.conf(5).  However,
resolver(5), taken right from the BIND distribution says nothing of this
syntax.

Regardless of it being valid or not, my line quoted above works just
fine for every application on RedHat Linux (at least version 6.2)
except Erlang.  (Hence the post to this list.)  Now since my file was
broken, I fixed it, but I thought that since I wasted 8 hours looking
for this problem I might at least let others know about it and maybe
save them the time of discovering that their resolv.conf is also
``broken''.

Perhaps a more liberal parser may be in order in Erlang's inet library
as almost everything else on Linux seems to ignore the name of the
nameserver on the nameserver line.

--
Shawn.

  ``If this had been a real
    life, you would have
    received instructions
    on where to go and what
    to do.''

resolv.conf

Daniel Neri
Shawn Pearce <spearce> writes:

> Apparently, my manual page does not exist for resolve.conf(5).

A common Linux (distribution) problem, I guess. See

  http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/bog-4.9.4/bog-sh-5.html#sh-5.2

(possibly a bit out of date.)

> Now since my file was broken, I fixed it, but I thought that since I
> wasted 8 hours looking for this problem I might at least let others
> know about it and maybe save them the time of discovering that their
> resolv.conf is also ``broken''.

Of course. And the Erlang resolv.conf parser should've barfed with a
sensible error message.

Regards,
  --Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne

resolv.conf

Shawn Pearce
Daniel Neri <dne> scrawled:

> Shawn Pearce <spearce> writes:
>
> > Apparently, my manual page does not exist for resolve.conf(5).
>
> A common Linux (distribution) problem, I guess. See
>
>   http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/bog-4.9.4/bog-sh-5.html#sh-5.2
>
> (possibly a bit out of date.)
>
> > Now since my file was broken, I fixed it, but I thought that since I
> > wasted 8 hours looking for this problem I might at least let others
> > know about it and maybe save them the time of discovering that their
> > resolv.conf is also ``broken''.
>
> Of course. And the Erlang resolv.conf parser should've barfed with a
> sensible error message.

You mean rather than assuming there are no nameservers known in the
world, and therefore always return false for any DNS lookup except
"localhost" (thanks to /etc/hosts)??

--
Shawn.

  ``If this had been a real