setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

12

setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Joe Armstrong-2
Hello,

I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
site with a few simple Erlang applications.

I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
need to run a smallish server.

I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.

Any advice on VPS providers?

Cheers

/Joe

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Mark Geib-2
For linux based servers I recommend Digital Ocean. I have used them for 2 years now, very easy and prices seem good.

Mark.

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 9:14 AM, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
> site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>
> I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
> the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
> need to run a smallish server.
>
> I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
> OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>
> Any advice on VPS providers?
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

John Doe
512Mb RAM ($5/month or less) is enough to process a few million hits/day if you don't have a lot of data in the database. I recommend DigitalOcean and OVH vps' to my customers. OS - debian/centos/ubuntu, does not matter much.
One caveat: assuming you use cowboy, you can't process all these hits in the context of webserver processes, because by default there are too many of them. You'll need a dedicated pool of 20-100 processes which will do all the heavy logic. Also I'd recommend to run gc:collect for all processes every 3-4 minutes, this would help to purge large binaries and won't slow down the system too much.

Leo

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Leo

I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
site with a few simple Erlang applications.

I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
need to run a smallish server.

I have some servers that are running a docker-compose that contains 3 erlang applications (complete release in 3 different containers) + mongo.
(I know... probably it's overkill XD)
But with all this applications, 1gb of ram looks good enough for "normal" usage.

Leo

I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.

Any advice on VPS providers?

Cheers

/Joe

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Michel Boaventura
I've been using Linode for the past 5 years and never had a problem.
Its smaller plan costs $5 for a VM with 1GB of RAM and if you pay
extra $2 you can have a backup add-on with 4 different slots (daily, 7
days, 14 days and a custom one). My brother-in-law had an awful
experience with Digital Ocean. The physical disk on which his VM was
stored had a problem and he lost all of his data. The solution given
by Digital Ocean was to give him a new (empty) VM.

On 28 February 2017 at 13:28, John Doe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 512Mb RAM ($5/month or less) is enough to process a few million hits/day if
> you don't have a lot of data in the database. I recommend DigitalOcean and
> OVH vps' to my customers. OS - debian/centos/ubuntu, does not matter much.
> One caveat: assuming you use cowboy, you can't process all these hits in the
> context of webserver processes, because by default there are too many of
> them. You'll need a dedicated pool of 20-100 processes which will do all the
> heavy logic. Also I'd recommend to run gc:collect for all processes every
> 3-4 minutes, this would help to purge large binaries and won't slow down the
> system too much.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
>> site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>>
>> I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
>> the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
>> need to run a smallish server.
>>
>> I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
>> OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>>
>> Any advice on VPS providers?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> /Joe

Michel Almada de Castro Boaventura
Analista de Sistemas
Laboratório de Software Livre - LSL
Leo

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Leo

I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
site with a few simple Erlang applications.

I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
need to run a smallish server.

I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.

Any advice on VPS providers?

Maybe you can find some advice here: https://deploystack.io/

Leo

Cheers

/Joe

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Loïc Hoguin-3
You can get cheap dedicated servers (physical, not virtual!) at
kimsufi.com (OVH' cheapest lineup). The cheapest ones tend to be in
short supply but if you're patient enough to refresh the page early in
the day you can usually get one of the 5€/month ones.

No opinion on their VPS/cloud offerings, I don't see the point in that
if physical hardware is that cheap.

I personally have two of those, one of the cheapest, and one that is
currently not available anymore with 8GB of memory and a 2TB disk. I run
Arch Linux on them, same as my laptop.

On 02/28/2017 05:14 PM, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
> site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>
> I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
> the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
> need to run a smallish server.
>
> I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
> OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>
> Any advice on VPS providers?
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Eric des Courtis-3
In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2 instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable setup for the price.

https://aws.amazon.com/s/dm/optimization/server-side-test/free-tier/free_np/

Eric

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Caragea Silviu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Great timing. :-)

On 02/28/2017 11:29 PM, Eric des Courtis wrote:

> In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2
> instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable
> setup for the price.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/s/dm/optimization/server-side-test/free-tier/free_np/
>
> Eric
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Caragea Silviu <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Most probably the cheapest solution: https://contabo.com/?show=vps 7
>     euro/month for 6 GB and 2 cores
>     Silviu
>
>     On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Leo <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>             Hello,
>
>             I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a
>             small web
>             site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>
>             I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to
>             choose
>             the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident
>             memory I
>             need to run a smallish server.
>
>             I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable
>             choice of
>             OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>
>             Any advice on VPS providers?
>

>         Maybe you can find some advice here: https://deploystack.io/
>
>         Leo
>

>             Cheers
>
>             /Joe

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Paul Fisher

Best advise is to stay out of us-east-1...

--

paul

Fellow, Engineering

    <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

        <mailto:[hidden email]>>:

            Hello,

            I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a
            small web
            site with a few simple Erlang applications.

            I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to
            choose
            the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident
            memory I
            need to run a smallish server.

            I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable
            choice of
            OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.

            Any advice on VPS providers?

        Maybe you can find some advice here: https://deploystack.io/

        Leo

            Cheers

            /Joe

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Confidentiality Notice | This email and any included attachments may be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized. If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Nathaniel Waisbrot
> In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2 instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable setup for the price.

The free tier is nice if you're interested in getting into Amazon (it's a frequently requested resume item). But I used the "free" tier, thought I was being careful, and got slapped with $60 in charges from network traffic before I could shut things down. There is no way to tell Amazon "I would rather go offline than pay $x", so a misconfigured cron job or traffic spike (DDoS?) that happens while you're asleep is basically guaranteed to cost you.

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

fran
my stack

Nitrogen web framework: best, simpler and capable web framework in the world
using Cowboy webserver

and in the vps, VPSDIME, a very cheap 7$: 6G, 4cpu, 30GB ssd, 2TB, 10gbps

couldn't be more satisfied

> Hello,
>
> I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
> site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>
> I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
> the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
> need to run a smallish server.
>
> I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
> OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>
> Any advice on VPS providers?
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Igor Clark
Bit late to this party but I really like https://www.scaleway.com/ -
they're European (Paris/Amsterdam), and they provide cheap, decent-spec
VPSs, as well as their "Bare metal" range which is own-design,
custom-build, multi-tenant hardware. I use one with 4-core/8GB/50GBSSD
for €11.99/month. And you get unmetered bandwidth at a decent fixed rate
(300mbps on my package), so you don't get out-of-control bandwidth
charge horror stories. And no, I don't work there, I just think they're
really good :-)

On 28/02/2017 23:52, Nathaniel Waisbrot wrote:
>> In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2 instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable setup for the price.
>

> The free tier is nice if you're interested in getting into Amazon (it's a frequently requested resume item). But I used the "free" tier, thought I was being careful, and got slapped with $60 in charges from network traffic before I could shut things down. There is no way to tell Amazon "I would rather go offline than pay $x", so a misconfigured cron job or traffic spike (DDoS?) that happens while you're asleep is basically guaranteed to cost you.

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Hugo Mills-2
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:24:39AM +0000, Igor Clark wrote:
> Bit late to this party but I really like https://www.scaleway.com/ -
> they're European (Paris/Amsterdam), and they provide cheap,
> decent-spec VPSs, as well as their "Bare metal" range which is
> own-design, custom-build, multi-tenant hardware. I use one with
> 4-core/8GB/50GBSSD for €11.99/month. And you get unmetered bandwidth
> at a decent fixed rate (300mbps on my package), so you don't get
> out-of-control bandwidth charge horror stories. And no, I don't work
> there, I just think they're really good :-)

   I'll second Scaleway. It's Just Worked for me.

   The other recommendation I've got is a small company called Bitfolk
(http://bitfolk.com). More expensive than many of the larger
operators, but the quality of the support is superb. (Disclaimer: I've
known the owner of the company for many years; I own two Bitfolk VMs
and manage a third).

   Hugo.

> On 28/02/2017 23:52, Nathaniel Waisbrot wrote:
> >>In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2 instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable setup for the price.
> >

> >The free tier is nice if you're interested in getting into Amazon (it's a frequently requested resume item). But I used the "free" tier, thought I was being careful, and got slapped with $60 in charges from network traffic before I could shut things down. There is no way to tell Amazon "I would rather go offline than pay $x", so a misconfigured cron job or traffic spike (DDoS?) that happens while you're asleep is basically guaranteed to cost you.

Hugo Mills             | We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | looking at the stars.
http://carfax.org.uk/  |
PGP: E2AB1DE4          |                                           Oscar Wilde

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Hugo Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:24:39AM +0000, Igor Clark wrote:
>> Bit late to this party but I really like https://www.scaleway.com/ -
>> they're European (Paris/Amsterdam), and they provide cheap,
>> decent-spec VPSs, as well as their "Bare metal" range which is
>> own-design, custom-build, multi-tenant hardware. I use one with
>> 4-core/8GB/50GBSSD for €11.99/month. And you get unmetered bandwidth
>> at a decent fixed rate (300mbps on my package), so you don't get
>> out-of-control bandwidth charge horror stories. And no, I don't work
>> there, I just think they're really good :-)
>
>    I'll second Scaleway. It's Just Worked for me.
>
>    The other recommendation I've got is a small company called Bitfolk
> (http://bitfolk.com). More expensive than many of the larger
> operators, but the quality of the support is superb. (Disclaimer: I've
> known the owner of the company for many years; I own two Bitfolk VMs
> and manage a third).
>
>    Hugo.

>> >The free tier is nice if you're interested in getting into Amazon (it's a frequently requested resume item). But I used the "free" tier, thought I was being careful, and got slapped with $60 in charges from network traffic before I could shut things down. There is no way to tell Amazon "I would rather go offline than pay $x", so a misconfigured cron job or traffic spike (DDoS?) that happens while you're asleep is basically guaranteed to cost you.

> Hugo Mills             | We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are
> hugo@... carfax.org.uk | looking at the stars.
> http://carfax.org.uk/  |
> PGP: E2AB1DE4          |                                           Oscar Wilde

Re: setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Joe Armstrong-2
Thanks for all your reply - I shall choose one of these and give it a try.
It seems there is a lot of choice.

Next problem.

Given that I have decided on a VPS and payed the $$$ - what I now have
is a raw machine and some kind of admin interface.

The admin interface will (I guess) allow choice of an OS and set up a few
basic things - at the end of which I assume I can do an SSH login and then
I'm free to play.

The next step is that I want to setup a whole load of things to make the machine
minimally useful - install Erlang etc.

All the installation commands and paths and environment variables and so
will depend upon my choice of OS - it would be nice to just run a local
script (on my machine at home) that automates as much as possible of this.

But what I'd prefer to do is abstract away from the package manager and say
Locally

    $ remote_install <my VPS> erlang

If my remote machine was a linux machine this might cause an 'apt get command'
to be issued remotely - if the remote machine was windows it would do
a chocolatey command - it it were a mac it would do a brew command

Is there anything remotely like this???

Has anybody any advice on the best way to proceed. Or do I have to write
a long 'rsh' script :-(

(And no I'm not looking for an expensive tool that does *everything* and has
a 400 page manual - just something simple)

Cheers

/Joe

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 12:28:20PM +0100, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> Thanks for all your reply - I shall choose one of these and give it a try.
> It seems there is a lot of choice.
>
> Next problem.
>
> Given that I have decided on a VPS and payed the $$$ - what I now have
> is a raw machine and some kind of admin interface.
>
> The admin interface will (I guess) allow choice of an OS and set up a few
> basic things - at the end of which I assume I can do an SSH login and then
> I'm free to play.
>
> The next step is that I want to setup a whole load of things to make the machine
> minimally useful - install Erlang etc.
>
> All the installation commands and paths and environment variables and so
> will depend upon my choice of OS - it would be nice to just run a local
> script (on my machine at home) that automates as much as possible of this.
>
> But what I'd prefer to do is abstract away from the package manager and say
> Locally
>
>     $ remote_install <my VPS> erlang
>
> If my remote machine was a linux machine this might cause an 'apt get command'
> to be issued remotely - if the remote machine was windows it would do
> a chocolatey command - it it were a mac it would do a brew command
>
> Is there anything remotely like this???
>
> Has anybody any advice on the best way to proceed. Or do I have to write
> a long 'rsh' script :-(
>
> (And no I'm not looking for an expensive tool that does *everything* and has
> a 400 page manual - just something simple)
   If you intend having a small number of choices for the whole system
(i.e. only one Ubuntu configuration, only one Windows configuration,
only one Fedora configuration), and simply want to be able to deploy
that configuration repeatedly, then many VM providers will give you
the ability to build deployment images.

   If you want more flexibility (i.e. you might want an Ubuntu
configuration with Postgres installed one time, and one with RabbitMQ
installed a second time), then you're looking more into the area of
configuration management systems like Puppet or Chef or Ansible. I use
Puppet -- it's a pain in the arse, but that's more to do with (a) the
problem space: completely automating an installation and site-specific
configuration for a bunch of arbitrary packages takes time and effort,
and (b) the fact that I'm not really a practised sysadmin and don't
much enjoy it. For simple things (installing packages, or managing
basic configs of popular and well-known packages like Apache or
Postgres), Puppet is pretty straightforward, and you can get
_something_ working quickly. It's probably no more effort in the long
term than writing and maintaining a bunch of complicated shell
scripts, and ultimately more reliable.

   Hugo.

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>    I'll second Scaleway. It's Just Worked for me.
> >>
> >>    The other recommendation I've got is a small company called Bitfolk
> >> (http://bitfolk.com). More expensive than many of the larger
> >> operators, but the quality of the support is superb. (Disclaimer: I've
> >> known the owner of the company for many years; I own two Bitfolk VMs
> >> and manage a third).
> >>
> >>    Hugo.

Hugo Mills             | Great oxymorons of the world, no. 7:
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | The Simple Truth
http://carfax.org.uk/  |
PGP: E2AB1DE4          |

12