simple cross platform graphics component

simple cross platform graphics component

Joe Armstrong-2
Any ideas here.

I want a cross platform graphics widget.

When started it should pop up a window and
listen for messages on port P
I should be able to connect to port P using UDP or TCP

I send the widget messages encoded in something
(JSON, XML, OSC)

The messages contain descriptions of graphics objects (preferably SVG)

The only program I have been able to find that does this is
inscore (http://inscore.sourceforge.net/)

This uses OSC messages over UDP

What I'd really like is an SVG over OSC over UDP widget (even JSON
over TCP would be OK - though less elegant)

My view of architectures is that components should be separated by
communications channels, and be controlled by messages. They should do
one thing and do it well.

My personal favorite is OSC over UDP for ease of programming and
simplicity. OSC over TCP is also a possibility.

Cheers

/Joe

Re: simple cross platform graphics component

Dmitry Kolesnikov-2
Hello,

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 2:01 PM, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any ideas here.
>
> I want a cross platform graphics widget.

I am afraid that HTML+CSS is only truth cross platform graphics widget.
WebSocket + JSON / Server-Side-Events / HTTP2 is the way to push data into your widget.

- Dmitry

Re: simple cross platform graphics component

Unix One
On 06/26/2017 04:01 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> Any ideas here.
>
> I want a cross platform graphics widget.
>
> When started it should pop up a window and
> listen for messages on port P
> I should be able to connect to port P using UDP or TCP
>
> I send the widget messages encoded in something
> (JSON, XML, OSC)
>
> The messages contain descriptions of graphics objects (preferably SVG)

Since this is so specific, I wouldn't expect to find a ready made
solution. But sounds like something I'd look into doing in Qt (maybe
even in combination with QML); just because all the tools I'd need to
build it should be readily available, wrapped in a nice package, heavily
documented, with plenty of examples. I'd probably use qtcreator for
Qt/QML programming.

Qt4 SVG viewer: https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/4.8/painting-svgviewer.html
Qt5 SVG viewer: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtsvg-svgviewer-example.html
Qt5 network examples: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/examples-network.html

Some 3rd party OSC efforts (not sure how useful they are):
Qt4 OSC UDP client & server: https://github.com/kampfschlaefer/ofq
Qt5 OSC: https://github.com/MugenSAS/osc-cpp-qt

And Qt erlang efforts (in PoC stage):
Qt5: https://github.com/kaos/QtErl
QML: https://github.com/krant/eqml

> The only program I have been able to find that does this is
> inscore (http://inscore.sourceforge.net/)
>
> This uses OSC messages over UDP
>
> What I'd really like is an SVG over OSC over UDP widget (even JSON
> over TCP would be OK - though less elegant)

BTW, it looks like inscore also uses Qt.