slave feature

Benoit Chesneau-2
i’m looking for some usage examples of the slave feature apart for its use in tests? what was the original purpose?

Benoît

Re: slave feature

Brujo Benavides-3
Most likely not what you were looking for, but it’s used in gold_fever :)

On Sep 22, 2017, at 12:00, Benoit Chesneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

i’m looking for some usage examples of the slave feature apart for its use in tests? what was the original purpose?

Benoît

Re: slave feature

Max Lapshin-2
We are running code that works with ffmpeg in nif in separate process.  It is a protection from a code that works in nif.

Re: slave feature

Paul Fisher

We use it to start separate vms, which are set with different OS priorities, and then schedule work to run in the appropriate one. Basically letting the OS deal with prioritization of different CPU heavy workloads.

--

paul

Fellow, Engineering

Re: slave feature

Stanislaw Klekot
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 06:55:20PM +0300, Max Lapshin wrote:
> We are running code that works with ffmpeg in nif in separate process.  It
> is a protection from a code that works in nif.

Oh, look, and I'm spawning FFmpegs as ports, and wanting to kill them is
one of the reasons I'm writing a "my better subprocesses for Erlang"
application.

--
Stanislaw Klekot

Re: slave feature

Max Lapshin-2
We work with libavcodec, not libavformat and also we are working with nvidia, decklink and quicksync. All this stuff must be run in separate process*

Re: slave feature

Michael Truog
On 09/22/2017 08:00 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> i’m looking for some usage examples of the slave feature apart for its use in tests? what was the original purpose?

You should be aware that nodes started with slave try to make the slave node use the master's filesystem automatically, though this doesn't work in all places (as shown in the bug https://bugs.erlang.org/browse/ERL-446 which affects tsung).  This behavior doesn't seem to be well documented (nor the -master command line argument used on the erl executable) but it appears to be the main deciding factor for whether slave is usable for a given situation (in addition to the linking that occurs between the master node, making the nodes not exist independently).

Best Regards,
Michael

Re: slave feature

Paul Fisher

I should have clarified our use... we have a version of the slave module that is exactly the same except for that feature. We want to have each node handle its own IO directly to the system.

--

paul

Fellow, Engineering

On 09/22/2017 08:00 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> i’m looking for some usage examples of the slave feature apart for its use in tests? what was the original purpose?

You should be aware that nodes started with slave try to make the slave node use the master's filesystem automatically, though this doesn't work in all places (as shown in the bug https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bugs.erlang.org_browse_ERL-2D446&d=DwIFEA&c=L_h2OePR2UWWefmqrezxOsP9Uqw55rRfX5bRtw9S4KY&r=PevFox_7LK44ZV_jlS5jRM2WItKtsHV4zN_CrbdT2aM&m=ZYaInvQKkF5t9wYb-bJCCzIq2vg5EMJ-yPQV5oGSzhE&s=6hwbTzX8VVRetMB-wwsC4dH_o0qsG_TWFYjhbCw7Hbs&e=  which affects tsung).  This behavior doesn't seem to be well documented (nor the -master command line argument used on the erl executable) but it appears to be the main deciding factor for whether slave is usable for a given situation (in addition to the linking that occurs between the master node, making the nodes not exist independently).

Best Regards,
Michael
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__erlang.org_mailman_listinfo_erlang-2Dquestions&d=DwIFEA&c=L_h2OePR2UWWefmqrezxOsP9Uqw55rRfX5bRtw9S4KY&r=PevFox_7LK44ZV_jlS5jRM2WItKtsHV4zN_CrbdT2aM&m=ZYaInvQKkF5t9wYb-bJCCzIq2vg5EMJ-yPQV5oGSzhE&s=vNTGFf8Z6SLM093TNOTb5lcV2cYPKArsfp5_0u6JpuQ&e=

On 22 Sep 2017, at 19:35, Fisher, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

I should have clarified our use... we have a version of the slave module that is exactly the same except for that feature. We want to have each node handle its own IO directly to the system.

I would be interrested by such code!
--
paul
Fellow, Engineering