use cases for maxT?

Xavier Noria
The key `maxT` in application resource files configures a maximum time the application is allowed to run (defaults to `infinity`).

Have you ever used it? Which use cases does it have?

Re: use cases for maxT?

Michael Nisi
Just today, I was considering it to limit the time a load tester is allowed to run, hitting another system with HTTP requests.

> On 10. Mar 2018, at 19:56, Xavier Noria <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The key `maxT` in application resource files configures a maximum time the application is allowed to run (defaults to `infinity`).
>
> Have you ever used it? Which use cases does it have?

Re: use cases for maxT?

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 7:57 PM Xavier Noria <[hidden email]> wrote:
The key `maxT` in application resource files configures a maximum time the application is allowed to run (defaults to `infinity`).

Have you ever used it? Which use cases does it have?

Never used it.

I think a good use is for a temporary application, in which you know that it will run and then terminate after a while by its own. This allows you to put in a dead-man's switch in addition so if it doesn't, then the application controller will eventually terminate it.

Things I'd consider:

* Investigative applications.
* Applications which should have an upper limit but where the world around the application might change so the limit eventually gets broken.
* As an extra protection measure on one-off applications

Usually, these parameters have some history inside Ericsson (we needed this for a project), but I don't know if it is in use in general.

Re: use cases for maxT?

Michael Nisi
Here’s the little tool I was talking about.

https://github.com/michaelnisi/mob

Doesn’t really do much, just managing Gun connections and consuming HTTP streams on them, but I find it handy. But what? Why? ;)