uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

Xavier Noria
I read in Cesarini's book that you can limit the number of schedulers and threads (guess by "threads" it means the size of the thread pool for I/O).

Have you ever needed this? If so, which was the use case?

Re: uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

Xavier Noria
Sorry, Cesarini & Vinoski.

Re: uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

Max Lapshin-2
For example, you want to run redis/tarantool and erlang on the same machine.

It may be a good idea to limit amount of schedulers to N-1 cores.

Or you have some task once per hour that consumes full core, better leave erlang  without some cores.

Re: uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

Xavier Noria
For the archives,

I saw another use case near the end of the book: Reducing the number of cores may ease the detection of bottlenecks when stress testing.

Re: uses cases for limiting schedulers or threads?

Max Lapshin-2
There is another thing.  If you are running moderately busy erlang node and periodically launch something like updatedb that consumes whole core, then it may be a good idea to leave 1-2 cores out of erlang usage.